When to go gooseneck

/ When to go gooseneck #61  
It's good you point this out, I have some friends who think they will only weigh the trailer axles and so long as the axle and tire ratings ard not exceeded you are OK to go.

Like you say, DOT/police can look at the tag on the trailer for ratings but where do they look on the truck to find its trailer towing capacity? On pickups I've only seen tow ratings in the back of some owner's manuals, and it's dependent on things like axle ratios and engine options.

They look at the axle ratings in the door jam. Just like anyone else, they have access to OEM model information.

/ When to go gooseneck #62  
They look at the axle ratings in the door jam. Just like anyone else, they have access to OEM model information.

Axle ratings are different then the manufacturers GVW ratings. My 2001 F-250 is rated by Ford for 8800 lbs. the front axle is rated for 5000 lbs and the rear is 6000 lbs totaling 11,000 lbs. For the DOT cop to find out what the manufacturer rates the vehicle to tow is to go online and looks it up, but I’m not sure if any state has a law about towing over manufacturers recommended rating when the axle rating has not been passed. The DOT cares about axle ratings and not going over.

/ When to go gooseneck #63  
Yup like I said every state is different, every dot official will give you different answers there is no consistency in anything about the laws of towing and weight.

A couple years ago I needed some hay and found some a few miles away. My gooseneck trailer I had loaded with a hundred bales of straw so I took my little bumper pull. Light weight 6000 lbs gw and went. I got 40 bales and was headed home. Came up over a hill and there was a state cop and flagged me over behind a line of other trucks. Semi's and pickups with trailers and such. It was a dot inspection set up along side of the road. Got to the front of the line after a hour or so and two dot officials were inspecting. One was a real horses ***** and just wasn't in a good mood at all. They stuck the tank to make sure I wasn't running red fuel, checked all my lights, breaks on the truck, trailer, the hitch, safety chain, my licenses, insurance then the horses --- asked me what was the gw weight rating of the trailer. I told him its on the tag and showed him. He right away said I think your over weight for that trailer. I said come on and he hit the ceiling. I told him the trailer probably weighed 1600 and the hay at 50 lbs apiece is two thousand meaning a total of about 3600. He didn't like my attitude and I didn't like his but out came the portable scales. He had me unhook and put the scale under the jack, then weighed the axles and came up with under 4000. He tried his best and wanted to screw me but couldn't find anything. That wasn't my first go around with dot and when I pull anything I just make sure everything works and I don't get pinched by dot. Glad I wasn't pulling the gooseneck. Like I said he check the towing capacity of the truck and capicity of the trailer and me a retired person just hobby farming and needed a few bales of hay.

When I first started hauling things to make a little extra cash after hours and on the weekends I called dot, law enforcement and not one time did I get the same answer about rules and regs about towing with pickup and trailer. I came to the conclusion it really up to the dot official and the mood he is in. I don't haul anything for profit anymore because of the crap.

That DOT guy was clueless. You do not unhook a trailer to weigh it. The rated weight for the trailer is attached to the vehicle. 10-15% of the weight will go on the ball of the tow vehicle. I would have asked him if he has tractor trailer trucks if he makes them disconnect to weigh. The answer would be No, they why do I have to?

/ When to go gooseneck #64  
That DOT guy was clueless. You do not unhook a trailer to weigh it. The rated weight for the trailer is attached to the vehicle. 10-15% of the weight will go on the ball of the tow vehicle. I would have asked him if he has tractor trailer trucks if he makes them disconnect to weigh. The answer would be No, they why do I have to?

That is correct. Axle and gross weights should be measured with power unit and trailer connected, not separate. DOT folks are government workers, which does not mean they are the brightest bulb in the room. That DOT rube, when the manual said to measure the weight of separate axle groups, must have thought that meant with power unit and trailer separate. That is one reason why I am loathe to have any more of my money taken in taxes. Many of them don't even know what they are doing now.

While the axle ratings are on the door jam, the GVWR is on the door jam also, at least it has been on my trucks for this century. That could be OEM dependent information. And DOT does have general limit guidelines based on class of truck being used, whether it is class 1, 2, 3, etc on up to 8. But they primarily do look at axle ratings alone. Either way, if one is crossing a scale and any axle weight exceeds their guidelines, one is going to get the essence of a **** inspection about the vehicle parameters. And DOT cops are paid by the hour, so it doesn't bother them a bit to take all the time they need to find out all the minor details the OEM has established about that vehicle and the trailer. Whether it is a pickup truck with a trailer or a semi truck which is my primary mode of hauling, exceed the certain parameters they have established, and one can count on a lengthy stop and thorough check.

And many scale locations now, have road scale platforms built in the highway before the actual scale location so they can see the axle weights of any vehicle crossing them even at highway speeds. Either way, if one's vehicle and trailer combination looks suspicious, Mr. DOT is going to have a look see. That is their nature. Just don't stand out and the risk level drops considerably.

/ When to go gooseneck #65  

Your right. Shouldn't have had to unhook, but I seen that I wouldn't have mattered what I said it would have just angered him more and the powers that be was more than little old me. My brother is a owner operator and has been pinched by dot several times just because bad day, knows more than anyone attitude form dot official, etc. not saying that there aren't any good ones out there but just like plumbers there's good and there bad. A person can argue the point all day and night and think it don't happen but it does. Dot just don't sit at scales. They can set up inspections anywhere anytime. I never thought I would be inspected or checked for anything. Have I towed anything I shouldn't have. Oh you darn right I have. Will in in the future. I might. My only suggestion is be careful, don't think you can pull 20000 lbs with a half ton everyday and get away with it. Not just dot but any thing else can happen. Same goes with pulling 30000 with a one ton. The companies that sell these trailers don't care what you plan on towing, or towing it with and their not held liable if you do something stupid. I would rather make two trips hauling what I can and have something else carry the big stuff.

Goose necks are better. More stable, I think backup better. Options are endless on how you want it set up. Just don't buy bigger that the truck will legally pull. Know the laws, give yourself some space between the other guy and don't be some hotrod thinking he has to do 80 in a 55 with his jacked up 3/4 ton with a 40 foot deck over with 25000 lbs on it.

/ When to go gooseneck #66  
Goose necks are better. More stable, I think backup better. Options are endless on how you want it set up. Just don't buy bigger that the truck will legally pull. Know the laws, give yourself some space between the other guy and don't be some hotrod thinking he has to do 80 in a 55 with his jacked up 3/4 ton with a 40 foot deck over with 25000 lbs on it.

I've been pulling trailers since I was legally old enough to drive and was taught to hook up, handle and back them long before that on the farm. While I do have a couple of bumper pull trailers, they are only used for light loads, under 4K lbs. Anything over that goes on one of my three different goosenecks. Goosenecks pull better, handle better, back easier, turn shorter (if necessary) and are generally better for the task.

Regardless of what you're using, it must be located on the trailer with the correct weight and balance, generically said, slightly more weight on the front of the hook up point (whether that's a gooseneck or bumper pull. The load must be secured properly. Generally, on all four corners with appropriate tie downs. I've pulled in every state in CONUS, there are two states I hate to pull through, CA and OH. Both have DOT and Highway Patrol that work off of commissions (I think). ;) Regardless, working lights, brakes and good tires have always kept me out of trouble. I don't speed, I'm generally 5 mph below what ever the posted speed limit is. Getting in a hurry is what gets a person in trouble and that's true if you're in a sports car, on a motorcycle or towing with a Ram 5500 and loaded 20K gooseneck. Besides that, speed takes more fuel and that cost money. Yeah, I'm tight.... :laughing:

Reference folks borrowing, once a person gets a trailer (or a pickup), everybody wants to be your friend and eventually wants you to haul something for them or borrow your stuff. Used to loan out my trailers but no longer do that. Too many (supposedly) friends would bring it back with damage, broken flooring, broken lights or something and swear it was like that when they got it. Those that know me know I keep my equipment in good shape. No, I don't loan any of my trailers any longer.
Have done those same friends favors and hauled something for them. Don't do that often any longer either. Tires are too expensive and when asked to drive on terrible roads and I blow two tires and the person I'm helping won't even help change the tires (much less help pay for the ruined tires) I'm through helping others for free. Yeah, I've turned into the Grinch who stole Christmas. Want me to haul something? Expect to pay me. Some folks get charged more than others.;)

/ When to go gooseneck #67  
In California you need a class A license to pull a GN over 10k. You would need to find an under rated GN to use your class C here. AND I am positive you are still going to get stopped anyway and once they realize your rig is rated under 10k you will be good to go. But who wants to keep getting stopped and going through that crap? GaterMade has a nice 14k bumper pull tilt trailer which I'm sure would be a good option. As long as you have a hitch with that rating. B.

/ When to go gooseneck #68  
In California you need a class A license to pull a GN over 10k. You would need to find an under rated GN to use your class C here. AND I am positive you are still going to get stopped anyway and once they realize your rig is rated under 10k you will be good to go. But who wants to keep getting stopped and going through that crap? GaterMade has a nice 14k bumper pull tilt trailer which I'm sure would be a good option. As long as you have a hitch with that rating. B.

Do you need a Class A license to pull a 14K bumper pull in CA? I don’t see why it would be different than a gooseneck. It’s real easy to spot a 14K rated trailer.