Where Does Your's Start Best ?

/ Where Does Your's Start Best ? #1  

SandburRanch

Veteran Member
Tractor
NHtd75
For those that own a gas fueled tractor, what throttle position does it seem to start best in cold weather? Low, medium throttle, high throttle or other.

/ Where Does Your's Start Best ? #2  
I don't own a gas tractor anymore but my old allis tractor and oliver dozer started best in cold weather at about half throttle full choke. Then I would idle them down while leaving them at half choke for a couple of minutes.

/ Where Does Your's Start Best ? #3  
Last gas tractor I had was a Gravely. Don't actually remember how we started our tractors on the farm when I was in my low teens. On the Gravely, it needed choke and a little bit of throttle.

The auto choke on cars/pickups used to be set by pushing the throttle down at least about 1/3 to 1/2 way. This did two things: 1) gave it a squirt of fuel from the throttle push; 2) allows the auto choke to close and auto throttle set cam to move to auto set the throttle part way open.

On my gas generator, it has no manual throttle and has an auto choke. However, it needs a shot of ether into the air cleaner to get it going without a lot of cranking.

Ralph

/ Where Does Your's Start Best ? #4  
Mine needs to be 1/4-1/2 throttle reguardless of time of year. In the cold weather I dont even try and start it unless I've plugged it in for an hour or two.

Wedge

/ Where Does Your's Start Best ? #5  
Just off idle

/ Where Does Your's Start Best ? #6  
On my old Oliver Super 55 which I kept inside in a unheated barn, 1/2 throttle and full choke to start. Of course treated fuel, Dry Gas we use to call it. Sometimes when it would get way below zero I would have to use a spray of starting fluid and a jump from a large charger. That was before the Battery Tenders were invented.
DevilDog

Last edited:
   / Where Does Your's Start Best ? #7  
When I had my Farmall H about 1/4 throttle,more than that it almost load up and stall.

/ Where Does Your's Start Best ? #8  
Our NAA/600's like full choke and just a little throttle.

/ Where Does Your's Start Best ? #9  
Allis Chalmers "B". 3/4 choke and 1/4 throttle. Too much throttle and it doesn't have enough spark to fire the mixture. The excess gasoline extinguishes the spark.

This tractor also has a hand crank, so the proper mixture is critical because you are only able to crank it 1/2 revolution at a time. No spinning the engine when hand cranked. This doesn't have battery spark. It runs off a magneto.

/ Where Does Your's Start Best ? #10  
We converted our Fords over to 12 volt systems which really helped, with the 6 volt system it was a real trick.