/ Where is dependable computer help? TBN #1  

gotrocks

Platinum Member
Tractor
B-2910 delivered 8/23/01
Hi Folks,
Back again with a computer question.
I just pulled out a stack of old CD-R Verbatim 74min 650MB,
They were created a few years back on my old setup using a HP CD Writer Plus.

Now when I attempt to read with my Acer DVD R/RW nothing shows up.
Properties indicates CD is FULL, but no files showing when opened.

What say you? Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Merry Christmas!

/ Where is dependable computer help? TBN #2  
You could try a different CD/DVD reader. Perhaps the laser is a bit stronger. Depending on how the disc was handled or stored your data may be permanetly gone. Look here or here.

/ Where is dependable computer help? TBN #3  
Are the discs finalized? If not, you may have to finalize them with burner software before you can read them normally.

/ Where is dependable computer help? TBN #4  
Hi Folks,
Back again with a computer question.
I just pulled out a stack of old CD-R Verbatim 74min 650MB,
They were created a few years back on my old setup using a HP CD Writer Plus.

Now when I attempt to read with my Acer DVD R/RW nothing shows up.
Properties indicates CD is FULL, but no files showing when opened.

What say you? Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Merry Christmas!
As another user suggested, they may not have been finalized when originally made and are only readable on the original system until they are finalized. I would look into that first.

Any time I make CD or DVD I take them to a different computer and test them to make sure they work.

/ Where is dependable computer help? TBN #5  
MossRoad, I agree.
I've skipped by the closing process a few times and each time I kick myself for rushing too fast.
After burning, test on another PC just in case.

/ Where is dependable computer help? TBN #6  
all the pc guys have been helping me with my netbooks this week.

:)

soundguy

/ Where is dependable computer help? TBN #7  
Does anyone remember when CD's came out, they told us this was the great new info storage tool? Now we find out they can degrade and your data can be lost. Need to back them up every couple of years. (See Kim Komando website komando.com). Now they are not suggested for long-term storage. What will the Japanese tech companies come up with as the next format to take our money? I still have some LP's and cassettes, and a few 3.5" disks. Tried to give away a bunch of cassettes, and few people will take them since they don't have cassette players any more. At least I don't have any more 5-1/4" disks left. Don't assume USB (flash) drives are the solution either -- there is no guaranteed loss-free data storage or music format.

/ Where is dependable computer help? TBN #8  
If it is imortant to you, then I suggest more than one copy, on more than one media, stored in more than one physical location.

I use DVD's, USB media and the local bank vault.

/ Where is dependable computer help? TBN #9  
Does anyone remember when CD's came out, they told us this was the great new info storage tool? Now we find out they can degrade and your data can be lost. Need to back them up every couple of years. (See Kim Komando website komando.com). Now they are not suggested for long-term storage. What will the Japanese tech companies come up with as the next format to take our money? I still have some LP's and cassettes, and a few 3.5" disks. Tried to give away a bunch of cassettes, and few people will take them since they don't have cassette players any more. At least I don't have any more 5-1/4" disks left. Don't assume USB (flash) drives are the solution either -- there is no guaranteed loss-free data storage or music format.

in fact.. they are guaranteed NOT to work forever.. flash ram has a finite R/W cycle.

I have a small coffee cup full of flash drives ones back from 64 megs and up that have failed.. not thru r/w I suspect.. but just generic electrical/hardware failures.. etc..

soundguy

/ Where is dependable computer help? TBN #10  
in fact.. they are guaranteed NOT to work forever.. flash ram has a finite R/W cycle.

I have a small coffee cup full of flash drives ones back from 64 megs and up that have failed.. not thru r/w I suspect.. but just generic electrical/hardware failures.. etc..

soundguy

Yep. They are good for transporting files from one place to another, but not for permanent storage.