Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic?

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic? #71  
After doing a ton of work in the woods clearing land, making trails and food plots, I had a new found appreciation for dent and rust resistant plastic panels. I shudder to think what a metal tractor would look like after I was done with it, but then dents really bother me especially when I'm still mailing payments each month. I wash my tractor almost every time I use it too so I may be different than a lot of people when it comes to tractors.

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic? #72  
The Kubota BX I bought 12 years ago had a lot of plastic, they are now steel. The JD 2025r I bought about 3 years ago also has a lot of plastic. The Kubota plastic was not very durable, I had to replace the engine surround. The JD seems much better, a lot more durable and the shape of the panels makes them less vulnerable to damage.

Two ways too look at it. Something might hit a plastic panel and bounce off while it would badly dent metal. On the other hand it might badly crack the plastic and ruin it while a dent in the metal is something you live with.
I also have a 2008 Kubota BX2350. Most of it is plastic. There are cracks in several places which I have some duck tape to hold together. The tabs under the hood that hold the engine side cover on are also partially broken, I added a couple of big washers to fill in the missing pieces so the nut has something to grab. The top engine cover is still in one piece. I'm not going to bother to replace the engine side cover now. I don't know the cost but, the tractor is too old to bother with. I would prefer all metal, I dent is preferrable to a crack or missing pieces altogether.

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic? #73  
I also have a 2008 Kubota BX2350. Most of it is plastic. There are cracks in several places which I have some duck tape to hold together. The tabs under the hood that hold the engine side cover on are also partially broken, I added a couple of big washers to fill in the missing pieces so the nut has something to grab. The top engine cover is still in one piece. I'm not going to bother to replace the engine side cover now. I don't know the cost but, the tractor is too old to bother with. I would prefer all metal, I dent is preferrable to a crack or missing pieces altogether.
Same here, those tabs on mine were broken also. Mine got so bad I eventually replaced it but I can’t remember the cost. 200 to $300??

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic? #74  
Pretty much any tractor made before 1960😀

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic? #75  
'06 BX2350 as well and my engine cowl is in rough shape. I wish I could replace it with a metal cowl from another BX model somehow. Same thing with the hood--it has several cracks. I knew about the plastic issues with 2350 when I bought it, but despite being careful I am still a bit surprised as how fragile the plastic really is.

Last edited:
   / Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic? #76  
The problem with the engine surround on that vintage BX is it’s one piece. Once it starts to break, it just falls apart on its own.

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic? #77  
They’re not “plastic” hoods, they’re “composite” hoods, OK fellas? Kinda like when “used” cars became known as “previously owned” cars.

All these tractor owners being straight shooters and calling things out for what they really are doesn’t make for good advertising LOL.
😆

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic? #78  
Gotcha sorry I missed that in your original post. Deere plastic seems pretty sturdy...you can watch videos of people testing it. I am still unsure if they went this way truly because it resists denting and fading or if it was cheaper...but I hate plastic. I will never buy a tractor with plastic panels...just my personal opinion.
I can answer that one: It was cheaper.

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic? #79  
JD lots of plastic.
Mahindra, Branson, LS... lots of metal. Branson is the heaviest in its class typically, so there has to be metal somewhere. JD reminds me of something someone in a culdesac would use to flex while plowing a 50’ driveway

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic?