Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic?

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic? #81  
knowledge is power then wisdom is torque?

I dunno about that. I've never wisdomed the head off a screw.
Perhaps but there are a few I've seen on here that I've considered as having a screwy way of thinking.

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic? #82  
My 4 year old Kubota is holding up so well I never notice. Surely it has some plastic here and there but with all its uses and care as well I never worry about it. Use a tractor as intended while watching out for things that damage them and any tractor should hold up and for a long time; other than a JD riding lawn mower hood. But then they are not tractors!

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic? #84  
Perhaps but there are a few I've seen on here that I've considered as having a screwy way of thinking.

Amen to that.

My beliefs on the plastic may put me in the "screwy way of thinking" category,,,,

As far as the plastic equipped tractor, my belief is that the ENTIRE machine has to be considered,
not simply single out your dislike for plastic.

When the entire tractor is considered, my JD 4105 is a FAR superior machine than a 1946 JD of similar HP.

Why do I think the ENTIRE tractor needs to be considered?
The manufacturer has to add features to attract customers, and offset the added feature expense by cutting costs somewhere else.

Hopefully, JD cut corners properly on my JD 4105,,
it is a tractor that was developed and sold to be the lowest price possible to attract customer interest in JD.

I get the GREAT transmission, modern button controlled PTO, 4WD, and a bulletproof front axle.
My cost to get those features is a plastic hood, and no steering brakes.

I am VERY happy with the tradeoffs,,

Others show their steel hood tractor with bearings failing in the front axle at 100 hours,,
I will buff the hood to bring back a rich color ALL DAY LONG,
rather than replacing the gears and bearings in the front axle.

I think it is silly to single out one thing about a machine to dislike,, but, that is my screwy way of thinking,,,

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic? #85  
My beliefs on the plastic may put me in the "screwy way of thinking" category,,,,

As far as the plastic equipped tractor, my belief is that the ENTIRE machine has to be considered,
not simply single out your dislike for plastic.

When the entire tractor is considered, my JD 4105 is a FAR superior machine than a 1946 JD of similar HP.

Why do I think the ENTIRE tractor needs to be considered?
The manufacturer has to add features to attract customers, and offset the added feature expense by cutting costs somewhere else.

Hopefully, JD cut corners properly on my JD 4105,,
it is a tractor that was developed and sold to be the lowest price possible to attract customer interest in JD.

I get the GREAT transmission, modern button controlled PTO, 4WD, and a bulletproof front axle.
My cost to get those features is a plastic hood, and no steering brakes.

I am VERY happy with the tradeoffs,,

Others show their steel hood tractor with bearings failing in the front axle at 100 hours,,
I will buff the hood to bring back a rich color ALL DAY LONG,
rather than replacing the gears and bearings in the front axle.

I think it is silly to single out one thing about a machine to dislike,, but, that is my screwy way of thinking,,,
So what happens when you are stuck dealing with the plastic and steering knuckles breaking, leaking axels, poorly designed rear housing covers made out of aluminum breaking like one friend did with his JD. Oops forgot about the sensor or electronic thing that was buried in the center that had it being split to fix also.

My luck dictates certain things will happen, like something falling on the hood. So it’s actually an anticipated repair, why accept knowingly it will cost more to repair rather than just hammer out the dent and move on?

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic? #86  
,,,,,,,,,,, why accept knowingly it will cost more to repair rather than just hammer out the dent and move on?

We make our choices,,,,,,,,,,,

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic? #87  
My fifty year old Leyland tractor has very little plastic but my near new Chinese pivet steer loader has less the hood is a very simple folded sheet of 1/8 inch thick steel plate no need for any frame to support it simple and effective which pretty much sums up the whole machine when weight of the machine is a bonus why make thing complicated just fold a thick self supporting sheet of mild steel into the shape you want

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic?
when weight of the machine is a bonus why make thing complicated
Right!

Maybe much of the technology from cars has spread into the tractor industry. In cars, weight is expensive to move around. In tractors, we often -- usually I think -- add weights for traction. I've often thought tractors should make more use of huge castings and heavy plate or channel construction, and save on the fancy design costs that would reduce weight. Maybe mowers should be light, to not compact soil. But tractors generally could use simpler construction.

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic? #89  
I was lucky. I bought my BX 25 in the fall of 2008, and it was one of the first of the new models. That was the year when they switched from a plastic hood on the BX 24 to the metal hood on the BX 25.

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic? #90  
My CUT(Mitsu) has a plastic front face.
Today it is a mishmash of hot glued bits and pop riveted aluminum strips attempting to hold it together.
I wanted it to remain recognizable as a Mitsu and actually considered duplicating it in wood.
All my metal parts, hood, side panels etc , even fenders are still in very fine condition other than small surface rust spots.
Oh, I did have to recover the seat and I used some leather skin that I had on hand and must say leather is much more comfortable than plastic.

Oh, and it has always lived outdoors.
While not a problem to date, I would have liked the fuel tank to have been plastic. (I always keep it full and do filter every time)