Which new tires?

/ Which new tires? #1  

handirifle

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1010
Talking to the tires shop they are recommending either Hanook or Yokohama's. This is for my 3/4T GMC Duramax 4x4. Size is 265/75R16, and I will be staying with that size. I want a tire that is quiet, and smooth, maybe a M/S type tread. The truck is 4x4 but I don't really "off road" with it. Mainly to help pull out something that gets stuck in the mud. Also it is our tow vehicle for the 5th wheel. It sees about 50-50 daily driving/towing use. My last set (current) are Firestones and I only got about 30K out of them.

I also wonder about the Bridgestone Duravis, R500's. They are listed as All Season tires. I have the R250's on the 5th wheel, but they really lack in tread block design. I don't care since they are on the trailer, but don't want that on the truck.

I would REALLY like something that can go about 50K if possible.

I am open to other brands/models as well. Appreciate the help.

Last edited:
   / Which new tires? #4  
Coopers are good. I have had 3 sets of Hankook tires and all have been good but got noisy as the tread wore.

My current favorite tires are Goodyear DuraTrac. I'm on my 5th set.

Chris

/ Which new tires? #5  
Michelin's?? Sure balance easy and run quiet on my 3500 Ram

/ Which new tires? #6  
For road tires, I like Cooper also... For All Terrains, I like Toyo, then Cooper and lastly BFG.

/ Which new tires? #7  
Michelin's?? Sure balance easy and run quiet on my 3500 Ram

I have Michelins on my 2007 Tundra. Actually 2 sets from day one and have 100k on the truck. I know they are a M&S but not sure of model/name. And they are quiet. Jon

/ Which new tires? #8  
Had the Michelins initially but wanted something a little better for mud and snow. Put the BF Goodrich KO's on and love them

Attachments

• image-3391320242.jpg
    image-3391320242.jpg
    479.2 KB · Views: 122
   / Which new tires? #9  
My current set on my '99 F250 4x4 7.3 are Firestone Trans Force in 265-75-16 and from the service so far I'll probably put the same back on next time. Got 19k on these and they still have a good amount left. My last F250 diesel would only get 20 - 22k on a set of tires no matter what you put on it. I rotate & balance every oil change - 5k. Don't haul the trailer much with this one but it is a daily driver on curvy roads, virtually no off-road with it - these trucks will get stuck in wet grass without 4wd engaged.

/ Which new tires? #10  
I've had yokohama and nitto's. I really like the Nitto, good price wear well, tow very well have good traction in the snow. I have the Terra Grappler on a 07 Dodge 2500 CTD 4x4 with 285-70-17 up size. If I didn't have to worry about getting out or towing in the snow I would have bought the Duragrappler.