Which new tires?

/ Which new tires?
The Trans Force is what I have now, and have been decent tires, but only got 30K from them. I would like more, but also do NOT want a noisy tire, new or later. Michelins are a given on quality, but are pricey too. I still have not ruled them out though.

/ Which new tires? #12  
I have Michelins on my 2007 Tundra. Actually 2 sets from day one and have 100k on the truck. I know they are a M&S but not sure of model/name. And they are quiet. Jon

Update, Michelin LTX A/S, size is P275/65R18, Also says Michelin X, and noted as M&S. Second set is not to wear bars yet, but I will replace them before winter. End of last winter, I realized less traction from them. Jon

/ Which new tires? #13  
Others have mentioned Coopers are a good tire and I agree with them. My 3/4 ton Yukon XL is running on Cooper Discoverer HT's now and I love them...mine work fine in rain and snow and have no measurable wear after 6000 miles. Tread pattern appears identical to what the A/T3 seems to have. AND the price was great.

Last edited:
   / Which new tires? #14  
I have Michelin MS-2's on my F250 diesel. About 20k miles with 75% of that towing 5K or more. They have way more than 1/2 tread left. Quiet, good ride, good wet performance. Not that my CC long bed has any business off-road, but if it were, I would choose another tire. 4wd is required for anything remotely loose or slick. For my usage, I will buy again.

I'm very biased toward Michelin based upon good results in 27 years of buying tires. I have not had other brands last and perform the way Michelins do. All tires are fine when new. Michelins channel water, ride quiet and wear well all through their lifetime, almost to the wear bars. That's worth a lot to me. I have 3 vehicles and 2 street bikes wearing Michelins right now.

/ Which new tires? #15  
I have used cooper at3 before and found them quite noisy and less fuel efficient although i did use them on a santa fe. My last set of hancooks just did 60k miles again on a new model santa fe. Mostly highway high speed driving with some towing. If i hadnt let the wheel alignment go out of whack for too long i reckon i would have got another 10k miles out of them.

/ Which new tires? #16  
I recently upgraded from the stock tires that came on my Chevrolet 2500 HD to Nitto Terra- Grapplers and I really like them, the ride is smooth they seem to perform fairly well off-road, etc , etc . The only down side was they hurt my gas mileage due to going up from 245's to 285's but that is not the tires fault.

/ Which new tires? #17  
My current set on my '99 F250 4x4 7.3 are Firestone Trans Force in 265-75-16 and from the service so far I'll probably put the same back on next time. Got 19k on these and they still have a good amount left. My last F250 diesel would only get 20 - 22k on a set of tires no matter what you put on it. I rotate & balance every oil change - 5k. Don't haul the trailer much with this one but it is a daily driver on curvy roads, virtually no off-road with it - these trucks will get stuck in wet grass without 4wd engaged.

Really, I replaced my stock tires on my 2001 F-250 a year and a half ago due to age and wear on front tires due to ball joints needed to be fixed. I had about 70K on them. Currently at 78K on the odometer. I use it to haul hay and the horses and yes it's the 7.3 powerstroke. Probably going to sell it in a year or two and get a newer one. I forget what tires I put on it, they seem to be good tho.

/ Which new tires? #18  
Michilens seen to age faster. They look dry rotted and cracked sooner than other tires I have seen. They wear long but can get noisy in the end.

/ Which new tires? #19  
Really, I replaced my stock tires on my 2001 F-250 a year and a half ago due to age and wear on front tires due to ball joints needed to be fixed. I had about 70K on them. Currently at 78K on the odometer. I use it to haul hay and the horses and yes it's the 7.3 powerstroke. Probably going to sell it in a year or two and get a newer one. I forget what tires I put on it, they seem to be good tho.

I wouldn't get rid of that truck if I were you!!! That's a good engine and you won't have one wear tires that long again. It must just be just right how it's made and setup.

/ Which new tires? #20  
On my Ranger it was a 1990 I went up several sizes and got the Liberator All Terrain back when that's all they said on the tire. Now they say uniroyal something. I got 80,000 miles out of those tires. I laid like $200 or $250 out the door in early 00s. Best tires I have ever had. Now 2 of them were slap wore out but they were good tires.