which sanding pads?

/ which sanding pads? #31  
Want quick removal? I've used my portable planer on flat wood surfaces. It can be set to only take off the very top surface. It may leave a few ridges. They are quickly removed with a belt sander. I always follow the planer with some form of sander to get the surface smoother.

You are remote - bring along your portable generator.

/ which sanding pads? #32  
We have some large picnic tables we care for which are located at remote locations. The finish is starting to peel so they need to be scraped, buffed and refinished. For cleaning and buffing them I thought I'd bring my generator so I could use my 4.5 angle grinder to do that job with. We'd then blow them off with air compressor when done. What pads might we use? I thought about trying these soft pads in 120 grit.

FPPO 5Pcs 4.5" x 7/8" Nylon Fiber Flap Disc Polishing Grinding Wheel,Scouring pad Buffing Wheel for Angle Grinder, Polishing Tools (Grit 120) View attachment 755689

View attachment 755688
I am with the guys who recommended the random orbit sander. Start with perhaps 80 grit and move up to 150 grit for a swirl free sanding.
i have tried all sorts of finishes for my picnic table. They all failed until I used real Tung oil thinned with citrus solvent. There is a company ( real milk paint) where you can order it online. It is not a petroleum product. It is simply pure Tung oil. Several coats of that will give you a nice oiled finish that will not peal because it soaks in and is not a disappointing surface finish.

/ which sanding pads? #33  
I use an old porta Cable 4x24” belt sander with 60, 80 and 120 grit belts. Sand with the boards not across. Get a good grip, it will want to pull you across the table. It will cut the old crud off.
Once you get use to one a bit, it does not take very long to straighten up an old wood table top, steps, rail or deck. Just buy a box of belts per grit, keep the belts inside, they last a long time.

/ which sanding pads? #34  
You might want to find the detailed description of those discs you show. They look like what I use to get paint and rust off of metal. Get you an orbital sander and 80 grit for the first go around and then 220 to smooth it out for staining or paint. Recommend stain. It does a better job of protecting the wood.

/ which sanding pads?
Got it done with 60 grit 4x24 belts and it took about 6 of them. They'd get gummed up with tree sap. It did get treated with preservative/stain and will post pics when I can process them.

/ which sanding pads? #36  
Got it done with 60 grit 4x24 belts and it took about 6 of them. They'd get gummed up with tree sap. It did get treated with preservative/stain and will post pics when I can process them.

I forgot to mentioned there is sticks called ojffuue Abrasive Cleaning Stick made to clean sand paper it works really well and extend the life if sanding paper.

/ which sanding pads?
I forgot to mentioned there is sticks called ojffuue Abrasive Cleaning Stick made to clean sand paper it works really well and extend the life if sanding paper.

I have them, but didn't bring it into the field with us. This table is quite large and the surface in rough shape so i was happy with the life I got out of the belts.

Last edited:
   / which sanding pads?
I few pics taken yesterday. Seems if we'd had used a orbital stander, we would still be out there sanding away. 😅

So much material was taken off, the 4x24 was the best way to go.
P1070435.jpg
P1070436.jpg
P1070439.jpg
P1070440.jpg

Who is the fine looking, yet hard working guy? 😁
P1070443.jpg