Who Makes Their Own Hoses?

/ Who Makes Their Own Hoses?
You don’t need a machine if you buy reusable hose ends and you also don’t have to buy more fittings when the hose is done, just replace the hose, using the same fittings.

It’s not completely unheard of for a hose to fail right before the fitting too. If that’s the case and you left yourself a little extra, you can just cut the bad part out and reinstall the end without removing the hose from the equipment, much less have to drive it into town.

View attachment 773731

You’ll save the $5k but will need two adjustable wrenches…

If I sold hoses, they would be crimped though. Get to buy cheaper fittings to mark up and get the “come back” because the customer cannot reuse them indefinitely.

One of these will also be handy to have.

View attachment 773733

I have heard about using those reusable compression fittings as a quick field repair option. If you blow a hose, and you're hose is long enough (almost never is) you can cut out the blown part and use these to connect the two ends back together. Its enough to finish the day, get your tractor out of the mud, that type of thing. Maybe I'll invest in a handful for such emergencies.

Wow that looks like a deal, but after reading the description no mention of the actual pressure, and it mainly states AC lines. No expert here but AC systems are under 800lb on the high side operating normally IIANM

According to the questions and answers on that specific link, they are rated up to 3600psi on aluminum fittings. Not sure about steel. Love it idea about using hydraulic pressure to crimp the hose. Only issue *might* be is if you only have one tractor and the break is before any valve. Meaning, if you start the tractor, fluid leaks out. But I absolutely love that idea! Might need to file a patent. :unsure: :ROFLMAO:

Don't risk death to save money.

If you happen to be close to a hydraulic line/fitting when it blows, you'll be starring death in the face. If the fluid gets injected under your skin, there is no first aid option and will most likely require amputation to save your life.

Yeah! For Sure! I have never seen it, but I have heard about it. Just like getting wrapped up in the PTO shaft (Though I do know a guy that lost part of his hand). Tractors and implements are inherently dangerous. Getting a hydraulic oil infusion is defiantly not something you really want to experience.

Avenger - I've also found House of Hose to be absolutely great. For me it's a 60 mile round trip to their business. I really appreciate their "fix while I wait" procedure.

I've never really needed that many new hoses but it's nice to get that type of service.

House of Hose is great! I use them all the time, for just about everything related to hoses or plumbing. Only real issue I have with them is their hours. I have to take time off work to go spend even more money while something is broken down or a project is on hold. If they would be open on Saturdays and/or til 7 or something, that would make my opinion of them much better. They used to be open til 5, but rather recently decreased their hours. Went from taking an hour off early from work, to two. Kinda sucks

/ Who Makes Their Own Hoses? #12  
I have heard about using those reusable compression fittings as a quick field repair option. If you blow a hose, and you're hose is long enough (almost never is) you can cut out the blown part and use these to connect the two ends back together. Its enough to finish the day, get your tractor out of the mud, that type of thing. Maybe I'll invest in a handful for such emergencies.

Let me guess, you heard that from a guy that sells you crimped hoses…

If a hose end is good for 4000 PSI today, what makes it not good for that next year?

If you are making your own hydraulic hoses, why would you make them so short, you have no room for error? Even if you have very long hoses, a bad spot can be cut out and once coupled back together are even longer than before.

C6DFF859-4EE6-4610-86D4-22FEFE5F1CB3.jpeg

I would certainly use them before I tried to buy some budget crimped for the cheap fittings. However, that is only because I have been using them for decades and know they work.

Crimped ends are a cheaper alternative, can be assembled very quickly and are not user serviceable. Those are good things if you are making or selling things but not if your the one that has to keep them going.

Last edited:
   / Who Makes Their Own Hoses?
Let me guess, you heard that from a guy that sells you crimped hoses…

If a hose end is good for 4000 PSI today, what makes it not good for that next year?

If you are making your own hydraulic hoses, why would you make them so short, you have no room for error? Even if you have very long hoses, a bad spot can be cut out and once coupled back together are even longer than before.

View attachment 773738

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'd certainly leave them on the tractor/implement. Why remove them?! I was just thinking about using them as a 'quick fix' to get back up and running.

Most stock hoses are made to exacting length. So if one of the stock hoses were to blow, cutting out the bad portion and reconnecting them might make it too short. Thats was all.

I'll probably order a small coffee can of these!

/ Who Makes Their Own Hoses? #14  
Saw a number of hydraulic repairs on "Deadliest Catch" using the field repair ends. Definitely looks like a good strategy vs crimper option, especially since 1. Ends are reusable, 2. More expensive fittings, but indefinite life (cry once), 3. Can acquire over time as needed, then have for life. Only downside I see is that you are locked into matching brand hose, since they apparently aren't interchangeable. Can't buy any cheap hose & expect top results. But, stock up on compatible hoses and the right fittings and you are probably set up for life.

/ Who Makes Their Own Hoses? #15  
Most of the "field attachable" fittings I have seen (which are the two piece thread together fittings) are for R2 hose ONLY. Most places use R16 hose because its alot more flexible.

So blowing a factory hose and thinking you can use a field attachable fitting out in the field will only work if its R2 Hose. R2 and R16 are both two wire braid and have the SAME pressure ratings, but the R16 is a little smaller on the outside diameter. The field attachable fittings thread both on the outside and inside of the hose and "bite" into it. With the R16 being a "thinner" wall thickness so to speak....they dont work.

And not only that......But if you own a couple pieces of equipment as I do, you have a whole slew of different sizes. 1/4" hose, 3/8" hose, 1/2" hose, and if you have a full sized backhoe, probably some 5/8" and 3/4....

Then all the different fittings. NPT, JIC, both male and female, ORB? MAybe some 90° fittings? And all the different sizes mentioned above. Then on mobile equipment its common to have a size change at the fitting. IE: a 3/8" hose with a 1/2" JIC end.

You think the cost of a $5000 crimper is bad.....you better figure at least that much more to cover all the hose sizes and to have a pair of every possible fitting type on your machine.

A local machine shop here who I have done business with for years just started doing hydraulic hoses. Now mind you they stock more than you would need to because they do sizes up to 2", and have ever fitting imaginable as well as all the different adapters and everything. But when they set up their hydraulic shop, they have ~$100k just in fittings and hose.

So unless its really something worth spending at least $10k for just for the convenience...there is no way you will ever recoup your expense making a couple of personal hoses a year.

/ Who Makes Their Own Hoses? #16  
So unless its really something worth spending at least $10k for just for the convenience...there is no way you will ever recoup your expense making a couple of personal hoses a year
And even at 5k..what's the cost of buying every hose on every machine you currently own. For me it would be far less than $5k. In fact last year I changed every hyd hose on my tractor and the cost was under $600.

For personal use I wouldnt buy a crimper. Even a small fleet of construction equipment I wouldnt.

/ Who Makes Their Own Hoses? #17  
This idea is not practical for me, because my 'farming' will all be PRN (pro re nata). However, if I was making a living with my tractor, I would keep a full set of backup hoses with connections in my shop. If a hose blows, I can swap it with the backup and then get the broken one fixed while running on the backup. The original becomes the backup. In critical time periods, I could even send another (wife, kid, hired hand) to get the repair started.

/ Who Makes Their Own Hoses? #18  
I replace everything I can with JIC fittinged hoses from Surplus Center. Their selection is available in 6" increments from 12 to 36" and 1ft thereafter. Each diameter hose is offered in nominal and one size up fitting sizes. I keep the sizes Im pretty sure Ill need as well as several selected lengths of 1/4" with JIC6 fittings. Also a selection of union fittings to extend length and/or adapt between sizes. That way you can usually come up with a length you need that will work until it isnt an emergency anymore. The hoses are quite good but the outer jacket weathercracks faster than I like. I add the protective sleeving when I can.

/ Who Makes Their Own Hoses? #19  
I replace everything I can with JIC fittinged hoses from Surplus Center. Their selection is available in 6" increments from 12 to 36" and 1ft thereafter. Each diameter hose is offered in nominal and one size up fitting sizes. I keep the sizes Im pretty sure Ill need as well as several selected lengths of 1/4" with JIC6 fittings. Also a selection of union fittings to extend length and/or adapt between sizes. That way you can usually come up with a length you need that will work until it isnt an emergency anymore. The hoses are quite good but the outer jacket weathercracks faster than I like. I add the protective sleeving when I can.
Surplus center has prety crappy quality hoses..how ever I have them on 3 of my machines. They are very cheap.

/ Who Makes Their Own Hoses? #20  
Surplus center has prety crappy quality hoses..how ever I have them on 3 of my machines. They are very cheap.
I have about 30 of the SC 2 wire JIC connectored ones in service. Not a single failure even though I have subjected 3 of the 3/8" ones to pressure sufficient to blow up 4 bucket cyls on the 7520. Depending on the yield strength of the 3/16 wall cylinder tube, expansion of the steel would require a hydraulic pressure of 12,000 PSI minimum. -- What is your criterion of pretty crappy?