Why by new when used will do?

/ Why by new when used will do? #1  

Phillip w

Platinum Member
Tractor
allis Chalmers 185 and massey ferguson 1531
Well my chain saw rapped out today. It isn't even a year old. My old old saw is still going, just pretty big and heavy saw to operate. I am tired of buying new stuff with the idea of something good and you get a disposable piece of garbage. I bought my wife an SUV. It makes regular trips to the dealer, because something broke on it. I got a 1973 Ford pickup with a 390 and a 4 speed. I think the old pickup is more dependable than the wife's SUV. And try to work this new stuff, I mean half of it is plastic or fiberglass and everything is so compact it is hard to work on. Tractors same way, the tractor I got 40 plus years old are more dependable and easier to work on than the new stuff. Does any only else have nothing but headache and breakdowns out of the new stuff? I'm just about fed up with new stuff.

/ Why by new when used will do? #2  
I hear ya. When it comes to large machinery, there are many guys who swear by "old iron" for the reasons you state. I'm not one of them, though. The trick is knowing what you're buying used, to avoid just buying someone else's problems. I'm also past the point where I'm willing to devote lots of time to restoring or rebuilding old-but-good stuff.

/ Why by new when used will do? #3  
It depends :confused3: Yes I now that is avoiding the issue. One must be careful buying used. Question is why are they selling. I have gotten some screaming deals on used farm equipment, but 2 for one on hidden issues that have cost me dearly. I bought a used Bronco (full size) only to find the engine was trashed. Bought a used Toyota Corolla (70's) and it was a real gem. I now do my research and buy new vehicles if I can and hold on to them until the get problematic. Still have my 04 Ford diesel F350 (paint is the onily issue now). As for tractors - if it is a tier 4 with all the emissions junk I will pass. My 2011 Bobcat CT 235 is doing great.

/ Why by new when used will do? #4  
I often hear people say that it isn't possible to work on new vehicles because of the computers. That hasn't been my experience. They are overly complicated but it is possible for the average guy to work on them. That said, I do prefer old equipment and appreciate its simplicity!

/ Why by new when used will do? #5  
You know - buying good used equipment makes a lot of sense. EXCEPT - around here - I've checked all the "For Sale" sites and I think in the last 10 to 12 years there has been two piece of crap implements for sale. You could see by the pics - it wasn't even worth the trip to go look at the stuff.

/ Why by new when used will do? #6  
Yes, when I keep equipment up very well, I want to pay top dollar to someone that beats the **** out of it and does not service it. I do 50 hour oil changes on everything including hydro units, why do you want to keep the fines that the filters do not catch in there to grind things up.

David

/ Why by new when used will do?
What brand and model?
A economy model poulan with 18" bar. I have just about had it with poulan products.

/ Why by new when used will do? #9  
A economy model poulan with 18" bar. I have just about had it with poulan products.

Not to bash Poulon but it doesn't have the same recognition as middle of the line Stihl or Echo saws.
You pay for what you get. I would not buy used unless it was almost given to me because people generally trash things, put a nice coat of wax on them and charge a hefty price because they look nice.

Although, I have sold a couple cars and never had a stitch of problems with them and were low miles for the year and gave the guy a super price. Great buys can be had by other people but I would rather buy new but if is a quality product with great reviews even if I seemingly pay to much.

/ Why by new when used will do?
Don't worry about bashing poulan, I on the verge of bashing poulan. I don't have a good track record with poulan products. I ko a poulan tiller couple years ago. It was bought new and capped out in about a year. Was told buy another tiller, cause that one would cost to much to fix. Give poulan h---, I'm with you.