Why do blowers do better on a full load tham when half filled?

/ Why do blowers do better on a full load tham when half filled?
In interest of not addressing this wrongly pls describe what you mean by choke. ... Also, how you determine whether a discharge originates in a packed condition or not.
,,,Thanks,
,,,,,,,,,larry

Larry

MY use of the term "packed" is entirely based on other posts in this thread that reference the "density" of the blown snow. Myself, I do not observe that typical snow removal machinery "packs" the snow to make it more "blowable". Contrary, the snow from my blower appears well mixed with air and is discharged with about the same density as it was introduced,

Regarding "choked", I will use the observation of blowing warm or wet snow. If the material is crowded, the chute chokes or becomes plugged. This same "choking" occurs when the snow is fed in too slowly. Often times, in my own experience, a chute choked by too little material can be cleared by advancing into more material more rapidly in order to properly load the blower. Hydrostatic drive is a real boon in this respect.
But, too much material,(too rapid forward progess into the snow) and the chute remains clogged, and must be cleared by additional efforts.

Cal

/ Why do blowers do better on a full load tham when half filled? #52  
Larry

MY use of the term "packed" is entirely based on other posts in this thread that reference the "density" of the blown snow. Myself, I do not observe that typical snow removal machinery "packs" the snow to make it more "blowable". Contrary, the snow from my blower appears well mixed with air and is discharged with about the same density as it was introduced,

Cal

Most of what you said I agree with, but the last sentence. If the county plow truck comes by and leaves wet packed snow at the end of your driveway and it stays there all night and freezes and you go to remove it in the AM, does it come out of the chute the same as it was introduced?

/ Why do blowers do better on a full load tham when half filled? #53  
I don't know what I said that was impolite to anyone. I'm sorry for whatever some thinks is impolite. I most have told the truth and somebody didn't like to hear it. Gee, So you have to agree with whatever anybody says or you are impolite. Thats seem funny to me.

/ Why do blowers do better on a full load tham when half filled? #54  
All I know is that I have a two stage snowblower, the company that manufactured calls it a two stage snowblower so I'm going by what they said it is and I have no problem going slow, going fast, half full, half empty it will blow the snow 50+ feet even if the snow is wet or dry, heavy or light, packed or loose.

/ Why do blowers do better on a full load tham when half filled? #55  
Isn't it in the Bible "he who is free from sin can cast the first shone". I believe Bolens calls their thrower/blower a snow caster.

No, it's "he who is free from sin can hast the first scone".

/ Why do blowers do better on a full load tham when half filled? #56  
Fluid, I have admired your blower since I first saw it in a post in early winter. Now even more since I have seen it in action. I have never seen a blower that small with a rotating drum to aim the discharge. Not sure if others see it, but, your blower does not use the chute to direct the discharge. The chute is straight never changing the direction of the snow, the entire drum rotates. Snow is thrown off the impeller blade straight out the chute, no redirection no velocity loss, very efficient. Awesome attachment.
Check out some of the videos on the Schulte website, you can see the difference between chute and direct discharge.

/ Why do blowers do better on a full load tham when half filled? #57  
I don't know what I said that was impolite to anyone. I'm sorry for whatever some thinks is impolite. I most have told the truth and somebody didn't like to hear it. Gee, So you have to agree with whatever anybody says or you are impolite. Thats seem funny to me.
There is some abhorrence of contention apparently. As long as everything persists as opinion, even if a thread becomes a disjoint cacophony, it can stay alive. Consequently there are many threads that come to no meaningful resolution even in the face of fact. The info imparted, if any, is a simplism. Connecting all the dots seems to be threatening to some and snideness often creeps in. Can it be self limiting? ... I think so.

,,,I expect the pruning was moderator generated rather than instigated by a crybaby on the thread.
larry

/ Why do blowers do better on a full load tham when half filled? #58  
Larry

Regarding "choked", I will use the observation of blowing warm or wet snow. If the material is crowded, the chute chokes or becomes plugged. This same "choking" occurs when the snow is fed in too slowly. Often times, in my own experience, a chute choked by too little material can be cleared by advancing into more material more rapidly in order to properly load the blower. Hydrostatic drive is a real boon in this respect.
But, too much material,(too rapid forward progess into the snow) and the chute remains clogged, and must be cleared by additional efforts.

Cal
Thank you for clarifying.

1] Packing does not imply that the packed substance coheres. ... Thus is can spread as soon as it comes out of the chute.
2] Wet sno tends to adhere to the chute and then dam or otherwise foul discharge. I have only experienced this with sno so wet its dripping. I have never had any problem in "snoball wet" snow. This is probably because I always crowd the auger, thereby throwing the packed, and in this case cohered, stream of sno. - Most certainly not propelled by air.
3] Absent dripping sno, no 2 stage thrower Iv used has clogged. They run out of power and bog down.
,,, larry

/ Why do blowers do better on a full load tham when half filled? #59  
WOW! I'm glad we didn't get any snow this winter. I wouldn't know whether to blow, throw or cast it. However, years ago I chickened out on this topic and now I plow the snow. Doesn't take all this brain power to understand how plowing works - ha,ha.

Hey - this thread is an excellent read.