Why do blowers do better on a full load tham when half filled?

/ Why do blowers do better on a full load tham when half filled? #41  
Now I'm really lost, you used to many 20 dollar words for me.

/ Why do blowers do better on a full load tham when half filled? #42  
So leaf blowers throw leaves? :laughing:

I understand what you're saying. And I agree with you. However, that's the definition of snow thrower vs snow blower. Throwers are single stage, blowers are two stage.
There is a functional transition here. Regardless of the similarity that these substances are being pumped, the leaves rely on an extreme volume of air. Without it they will thatch and clog - and even in the brief time before they do they would fall flat without the air. Leaves are light and springy and they wont hold a pack. Grab, squeeze and fling a handful of leaves and someone 10 ft away may get hit with a stem. Do that with fluff sno and that person will be powdered. Virtually all the [heavy] ice crystals will get there. On a machine with a rotating impeller, the air inherently included will aid the cast of both materials because a moving stream hangs together, better barging thru the stationary ambient air. This allows a light load to go further than it would if thrown without a moving air stream.

,,,Now crowd the pickup. Large volume airflow suffers and the leaves pack and clog whereas snow just keeps throwing further and further until the engine bogs. The leaves need a tremendous flow of air in order to feed thru the impeller. Load on the engine of a leaf blower is essentially constant whether passing air and leaves ... or air only.

A snow impeller turns much more slowly and the air moved is so small by comparison that it is difficult to detect any load to the engine. That is until you start feeding it snow. With lite feed the discharged air helps, esp with powder - but distance is anemic in comparison to what you get as you crowd the impeller. This blocks airflow almost entirely but the sno still feeds and that densified discharge stream is going 50 or 60 feet. Crowd it even more and the throw increases as the engine bogs a little before finally too much throw velocity/rpm is lost. Then you have to slow down a little. HST is perfect to hold the cusp of throw performance. If you have 2" sno youll have to go 6 or 8 mph.

/ Why do blowers do better on a full load tham when half filled? #43  
   / Why do blowers do better on a full load tham when half filled?
Are you talking about a snow thrower or a snow blower?

Does it matter? IF a "thrower" is a single stage device (Bolens uses the "SNO-Caster" moniker) It throws best when loaded to some "sweet" level. Not to much, and also Not too little, the topic aspect.

Two stage "blowers" do the same. They choke on too much or too little.

As to the comment about "packed snow" being dense and so push through and carring more momentum, I watch the plume of snow. It is NOT packed at all. In fact, most snow this year ended up going what ever way the wind blew after it left the chute. (Not all of it of course ;-)

I haven't got much out of this thread. It must be either black magic or rocket surgery.

Oh Well We just keep doing what we do and have a can of PAM around to spray on the chute when things start to get jambed.

/ Why do blowers do better on a full load tham when half filled? #46  
You're taking the fun out of it.

====================================================

Nah!

I stopped herding cats when I lost the ability to speak cat thusly
losing the ability to effectively herd them without smelling like cat
treats.

Carrying bags of open cats treats always led to a behind
the cactus case of cat muggings, first by being knocked off the
quarter horse and then being swarmed by a mad band of crazed
sombrero wearing, Colt 45 slinging bunch of catnip crazed felines
wearing sunglassses bent on collecting reward money by getting
the gringo with the cat treats while he is on a cat drive from
Dallas to St. Louis.

/ Why do blowers do better on a full load tham when half filled? #47  
Two stage "blowers" do the same. They choke on too much or too little.

As to the comment about "packed snow" being dense and so push through and carring more momentum, I watch the plume of snow. It is NOT packed at all. In fact, most snow this year ended up going what ever way the wind blew after it left the chute. (Not all of it of course ;-)

I haven't got much out of this thread. It must be either black magic or rocket surgery.

Oh Well We just keep doing what we do and have a can of PAM around to spray on the chute when things start to get jambed.
In interest of not addressing this wrongly pls describe what you mean by choke. ... Also, how you determine whether a discharge originates in a packed condition or not.
,,,Thanks,
,,,,,,,,,larry

/ Why do blowers do better on a full load tham when half filled? #48  
What if I was to clear the snow bank that was left from snow plowing a parking lot? What would the auger have to do to the snow to move the snow to the impeller so the impeller could throw/blower the snow out of the chute?

/ Why do blowers do better on a full load tham when half filled? #49  
What if I was to clear the snow bank that was left from snow plowing a parking lot? What would the auger have to do to the snow to move the snow to the impeller so the impeller could throw/blower the snow out of the chute?
Something like that, I ease into very slowly, so I don't pop a shear bolt. I let the auger break it up and chew it a little at a time. At that point, I don't care how far it's throwing the snow. I just want to get through it in one piece!

/ Why do blowers do better on a full load tham when half filled? #50  
And I've never heard the term "caster" ever in my lift other than fishing reels and small wheels.

Isn't it in the Bible "he who is free from sin can cast the first shone". I believe Bolens calls their thrower/blower a snow caster.