Why don’t tractors have dedicated tie down points?

nisaacs

Gold Member
Tractor
970 John Deere, 4320 John Deere, 995 Case/IH
There will almost always be some bolt holes so I carry some of these.

JH4SQ.01_250x.jpg
1652-cluster-hook-assembly-w-d-ring.01_250x.jpg
2249-forged-tow-hook-14-steel-w-o-ring.01_250x.jpg

Aquamoose

Platinum Member
Tractor
Branson 3520h
Most folks wouldn't know how to tie down a tractor anyway.

Supplying tie down points would just open the manufacturer up to liability claims. Sad, but happens. The week-end warriors can be dangerous to themselves and others. I see no reason to help them find relief from stupidity. :rolleyes:

Many cars have tie down points for transport. I can’t see how it’s a liability for manufactures it’s it’s a simple mounting point unless it was the source of failure.

nikerret

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25D-1
Every vehicle, automobile, and piece of equipment should come with front and rear tow/tie down points. A lot of stuff ends up damaged or comes unsecured because of people incorrectly choosing tie down or tow points. They don’t have to be expensive or fancy, just a properly built steel loop goes a long ways.

Tinhack

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 3910, John Deere 420C, Kubota G32XKS, IH 2606, Bad Boy Maverick-60"
Many cars have tie down points for transport. I can’t see how it’s a liability for manufactures it’s it’s a simple mounting point unless it was the source of failure.
Interesting claim. Can you show ONE? 😏

The only points I've seen to secure a car are for pulling them out of ditches or onto a wrecker. None were meant for tie down points because there's typically only one in front and one in the rear.

nisaacs

Gold Member
Tractor
Interesting claim. Can you show ONE? 😏

The only points I've seen to secure a car are for pulling them out of ditches or onto a wrecker. None were meant for tie down points because there's typically only one in front and one in the rear.

Aquamoose is correct. Autos and trucks have had transport locations forever. Most transport trucks use the TJR hooks, they are designed for vehicle tie downs. Read the link.

RTJ Cluster Hooks | Towing Cluster Hooks | Mytee Products

1652-cluster-hook-assembly-w-d-ring.01_250x.jpg

Tinhack

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 3910, John Deere 420C, Kubota G32XKS, IH 2606, Bad Boy Maverick-60"
That didn't come with my car. :rolleyes:

nisaacs

Gold Member
Tractor
That didn't come with my car. :rolleyes:

The TJR hook is not part of your car, however the attaching points are, the title of this thread. Your car will have a minimum of 4 locations, one on each corner, front and rear, built specific for the TJR hook. Some pickup trucks have 8 locations.

That's why I said in a pervious post, I carry the TJR hooks and often times they will work on tractors too.

grsthegreat

Tractor
Kioti DK45SE hst cab
my 24' tilt trailer has 6 welded tie down points. easy enuf to loop a chain around rear axle for rear of tractor, and i push a chin thru loader channel in front end. snug as a bug in a rug. cant possibly shift while towing. i used to tow it alot. not so much now that im retired.

Industrial Toys

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota R510 Wheel Loader + Cab and backhoe, JD 6200 Open Station, Cushman 6150, 4x4, ten foot 56 hp Kubota diesel hydraulic wing mower, Steiner 430 Diesel Max, Kawasaki Diesel Mule, JD 4x2 Electric Gator
My Dad has found a ton of those car carrier hooks on his walks. There are different styles. Handy to have, although thinking about it, I have maybe only used the car hooks twice on someones car with no other attachment point. Some of the chains are handy three feet long ones with the special hooks as well as grab hooks.

I don't like any hook for transport, not rescue, that can fall out when tension is released.

As far as the original question. It just hit me. People would use these points for pulling.

Last edited: