Why is cost per HP so high?

/ Why is cost per HP so high? #1  

lopezian

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota/L3400
I'm sure this is a naive questions but I'll ask it anyway.

Can someone explain to me why I pay the so much more per horsepower for a tractor than I do for a truck?

Chevy Avalanche 2500 4WD costs $35,846 and can produce 325 hp @ 4200 rpm. That's about $110 / hp.

Chevy Silverado 1500 Regular Cab 2WD costs $15,628 and can produce 295 hp @ 5200 rpm. That's about $53 / hp.

By comparison, a Kubota L3400 costs, what, about $16000 (before attachments) and can produce 35 hp @ 2700rpm. That's $457 / hp!

So why does does engine HP costs 4 times as much on a tractor as it does on a truck?

And why don't we have inexpensive tractors that generate 200 hp?

/ Why is cost per HP so high? #2  
lopezian said:

Can someone explain to me why I pay the so much more per horsepower for a tractor than I do for a truck?

Chevy Avalanche 2500 4WD costs $35,846 and can produce 325 hp @ 4200 rpm. That's about $110 / hp.

Chevy Silverado 1500 Regular Cab 2WD costs $15,628 and can produce 295 hp @ 5200 rpm. That's about $53 / hp.

By comparison, a Kubota L3400 costs, what, about $16000 (before attachments) and can produce 35 hp @ 2700rpm. That's $457 / hp!

So why does does engine HP costs 4 times as much on a tractor as it does on a truck?

I'll most likely catch a lot of flack over this statement but Oh well.

Tractors are way overpriced to start with. I'm not saying trucks aren't but just not as much. Tractor sales are almost null compared to auto sales so they have to make more profit on a per unit sale.

I might add, it has nothing to do with HP.

/ Why is cost per HP so high? #3  
Well, for starters.. that kubota can be set at pto speed and make that 35 hp continously and work till the tank runs dry, at max rated pto hp.

The trucks you mentioned probably peak out a the hp numbers, and are designed for intermittant use. I'm sure if yuo ran that avalanch at 325 hp till it's tank ran dry, it would either overheat or explode leaving you with alot of gas still in the tank.. In other words.. that setup is able to provide high hp for short intervals.. then settle back down to a lower hp number for continous use.

I'd also wager that a tractor may have a longer 'serviceable' life span than a truck... at least my antiques see to have...

Soundguy

lopezian said:

/ Why is cost per HP so high? #4  
Have you considered how many more Chevy trucks they sell, as compared to how many tractors?

Whoop, I missed it. BillyP already stated that. That's the difference.

/ Why is cost per HP so high? #5  
Good question, economies of scale I think. I bought a VW turbo-diesel a few years ago that made 90HP and cost around $18k brand new. That car had a modern direct injected high pressure turbo diesel engine with intercooler. Manual transmission with 5 gears, hydraulic clutch, hydraulic 4-wheel disc brakes, stereo + sunroof, leather seats, and met all the expensive safety and emissions regs for automobiles. Does make a $13k SCUT with a paltry 24HP seem kind of expensive.

/ Why is cost per HP so high? #6  
I don't think tractors are very overpriced. If you priced them out per pound they would be a pretty good deal. ;)

/ Why is cost per HP so high? #7  
It's hard(read impossible) to compare apples (2500 4wd) to plums(1500 2wd) to oranges (tractors).

Heck for that point some walk behind mowers are $100 per hp. At least try and compare price per hp on something like tractors alone. Then you'll see the smaller B/BX models that rich guys can afford to mow a 1/2-acre are close to the 100 hp tractors. It's all about what sells and what doesn't. :)

/ Why is cost per HP so high? #8  
many good points have already been made, tracors can actualy run at the rated HP output for hours on end, a truck or car would not last long at rated HP. Tractors are overpriced ,but I priced an F350 at $46000 (325HP) also overpriced. I plan on keeping my tractor for 20-30 years, the truck maybe 10.

/ Why is cost per HP so high? #9  
There is a flaw in your logic here. Cars and trucks produce a lot of HP, but very little torque per HP compared to a tractor. Their engines are very different and built for a differnet use. Cars and trucks run at a 30% duty cycle during daily driving - tractors get worked closer to 90%. This is why its part of why its important to use better quality fluids and filters.

/ Why is cost per HP so high? #10  
MessickFarmEqu said:
There is a flaw in your logic here. Cars and trucks produce a lot of HP, but very little torque per HP compared to a tractor. Their engines are very different and built for a differnet use. Cars and trucks run at a 30% duty cycle during daily driving - tractors get worked closer to 90%. This is why its part of why its important to use better quality fluids and filters.

Actually some of the over the road Cats and Cummins are the same engines in stationary units. The only difference is the fuel systems are turned down a bit (thus dropping some HP) to keep the engine from overheating. I replaced a v12 motor in a large mobile crane that was shipped here from Europe. The pump was set for the hills over there(intermitting load). When it came to TX and the flat land the engine burned up. We replaced the engine and had M&D Diesel in Houston set the pump for a 100% duty cycle. The exact same engine engine ran pumps, generators and compressors.