Why no Ecoboost in the F250?

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #312  
… you had to "scream" the little ecoboost (rev it at high rpm) for it to make the power to get work done.

You apparently have never driven a 3.5L EB engine.

You are dead wrong with your above statement.

The little EB makes peak TORQUE at extremely LOW rpm & no need to rev its guts out like the much bigger V8 Requires.

The 3.5L pulls way harder under 2k rpm than our old V10 ever could at 5k rpm.

I’m not arguing HP, which is faster or which will outlast.

The 3.5L EB @ 2k rpm & Less will outpull any naturally aspirated V8 out there at this same rpm.

& again I’m not saying the F150 will handle the load, control the sway or even stop a heavy load better than a 6.2 / 7.3 super duty

I HATE having to rev a V8 / V10 gas engines guts out just to maintain speed.

Now IF FoMoCo would twin turbo the 6.2 or 7.3 gasser : they’d have a BEAST that would flat work & sell.

Last edited:
   / Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #313  
$2/gallon difference on gas vs diesel right now near me. The cost of fuel doesn’t come near making up for efficiency difference on a lightly loaded pickup.
A gallon is 3.85 liter, i payd 1.92 Euro per liter. For the first time since motoring, diesel is (slightly) more expensive than Diesel fuel here. Most tradesman vans are loaded as heavy as an empty pickup truck.

And no, if you read carefully, i did not compare BEV overall efficiency to ICE efficiency, i was comparing BEV to fuel cell technology: Both are means to convert electric energy into chemical energy for storage, and back. Fossil fuel is already a chemical form of energy, not a means of storing it.

Last edited:
   / Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #314  
The little EB makes peak TORQUE at extremely LOW rpm & no need to rev its guts out like the much bigger V8 Requires.
The much bigger V8s are sports car engines, peaking at high rpm where you dont want to be all day while towing. Especially with VVT V8 engines in pickup trucks, horsepower numbers are for bragging rights only but in no way reflect usable horsepower in the economic rpm range.

The Ecoboost still reaches peak horsepower at 5000rpm so in heavy towing, you still need to shift down and throttle up like the V8 as the top end of the power curve is quite similar. Just in lighter towing when you dont need the full horsepower, you can keep lugging along at roughly 1000rpm lower, making the same power, with the ecoboost.

Now if we had the 6.7 Cummins, Duramax or Powerstroke power figure in this same graph, peak power would reach as high, albeit at 3000rpm, and torque would be off this chart, its so much higher.

Attachments

• Ecoboostvs62vs50-HP-Torque.png
    Ecoboostvs62vs50-HP-Torque.png
    79.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
   / Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #315  
Again, the new 3.5 Ecoboost with max tow package produces 400HP at 5000 and 500 ftlbs torque @ 3000.

My 61 T Bird with a 390 gold was 325 max HP. I am very impressed with my Ecoboost.

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #316  
What's the brake specific fuel consumption of the eco boost compared to the rest of the field

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #317  
Again, the new 3.5 Ecoboost with max tow package produces 400HP at 5000 and 500 ftlbs torque @ 3000.

My 61 T Bird with a 390 gold was 325 max HP. I am very impressed with my Ecoboost.
I understand how impressed you are when comparing it to your former gas V8s but youre not impressing the diesel guys with it, that have max power where you have max torque, and they have 1075 ft-lbs torque at 1600rpm... The Ecoboost is (quite an) improvement on the light duty gas engine, not an equal to the big diesels, the pistons just travel too fast at rpm where it makes its power, so it wears quicker in heavy duty towing. Two different animals.

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #318  
I understand how impressed you are when comparing it to your former gas V8s but youre not impressing the diesel guys with it, that have max power where you have max torque, and they have 1075 ft-lbs torque at 1600rpm... The Ecoboost is (quite an) improvement on the light duty gas engine, not an equal to the big diesels, the pistons just travel too fast at rpm where it makes its power, so it wears quicker in heavy duty towing. Two different animals.
Make no mistake about it, I am in agreement that a diesel is superior when it comes to heavy hauling. My post was more directed at the graft posted in post #314. It has older data and compares gas engines.

As far as the original question as to why no ecoboost in a F250, I think there would be a market for such an option. For the occasional pulling of a trailer that most people with a 3/4 ton truck do, it would work just fine. Pulling lighter loads constantly would be no issue either. Like lawn service guys. It also has a lot on how you drive. I do not turn much more RPMs pulling a heavy load as I do empty. When loaded I drive slower and take longer to get to the speed I want to drive. I listen to the engine constantly as I never turn on a radio. I drive it in the range that it is happy. Some people floor it no matter what. 😂

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #319  
So lets take this a step further. A guy in my town has an old Ford tandem axle dump rated at 54,000lbs. Its powered by a CAT 3208 @ 230HP. I would guess the torque rating to be at about 550-600 ft lbs. The truck is 30 years old. He pulls an excavator, or backhoe with it on an air brake excavators trailer. He has been doing this for 25 years +/- as have many one-man excavating operations in thousands of towns across the US.

So we have a 3208 CAT 10.4L engine pulling 50,000lbs around on the original engine for 100’s of thousands of miles. I’d like to compare the Ecoboost, with much more HP and similar or a little less torque to the CAT 3208.

Any of you keyboard statistics guys comparing your ecoboost engines to old diesels want to step up and tell us that it would last even 1/2 or 1/4 as long as the less powerful 3208 CAT?

I bet it wouldn’t last a year. lol

And the CAT 3208 wasn’t even a highly regarded engine. It was a basic V-8 diesel and it was a parent bore engine. It just got the job done. Similar could be said for the Ford 7.8L diesel, the DT466 and many other old diesel engines of bygone days. No, they didn’t have the paper statistics you guys drool over, but they would run 200,000 miles in terrible heavy conditions, use less fuel, last longer and require less maintenance than the big block gas engines they replaced.

There’s a lot more to an engine than paper hp/tq ratings. A lot more.

Last edited:
   / Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #320  
The ecoboost guys need to read the fine print in the operator's manual. My little 2.0 ecoboost powered Ford Escape says, a cartop carrier will be considered severe duty and require the severe duty maintenance schedule:)