Why no Ecoboost in the F250?

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #371  
My maintenance cost has always been low for the engines, regular oil changes and a fuel filter change once a year. The most costly maintenance I've had to keep up on for them was the front suspension. (ball joints, wheel bearings, track bar, etc.)
My maintenance costs are low too, i purposedly bought the 163hp version and not the 185 or twin turbo 220hp version: I dont need that power, and people who thought they needed it when buying the car new, probably werent nice to it with regards to warming up of a cold started engine, or idling a hot engine when coming off the highway for a gas station stop.

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #372  
The 30 dollar oil change, in todays money, sounds like you have a 25 year old four banger without VVT, GDI or hydraulic tappets which takes 4.5 liter of mineral 15w/40.

1.57 vs 1.82 means Diesel is 16% more expensive than gas, while i gain about 35% in fuel economy versus my mates gasser (same car other than the combustion process: even the basic engine block is the same, mine just has cast-in iron liners) In Holland, both Diesel and gas are around 1.92 euro at the moment.

Off course if i'd compare my mates 2.4 gasser to a BMW 4 liter V8 turbodiesel, it would be different, and i think thats what youre doing when comparing a 6.2 gasser to a Cummins 6.7 with twice the torque. Thats why i think theres an opportunity for a smaller diesel, more suitable for 3/4 ton truck duty: Leaner when driving empty but with torque down below at cruising rpm, like mine.

3.5 ecoboost, think it's got some fancy technology or something :)

Todays money, couple months ago actually.

5 litres full synthetic 5W30, $17.99 on sale at Canadian Tire (store that sells next to nothing made in Canada and tires that I wouldn't let their garage touch my car to install)
Ultra Synthetic Fram filter, $11.45 on Amazon with free delivery.

420 ft/lb ecoboost is a bargain oil change compared to my 500 ft/lb 7.3 powerstroke.

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #373  

5 litres full synthetic 5W30, $17.99 on sale at Canadian Tire (store that sells next to nothing made in Canada and tires that I wouldn't let their garage touch my car to install)

420 ft/lb ecoboost is a bargain oil change compared to my 500 ft/lb 7.3 powerstroke.

Deleted

Last edited:
   / Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #374  
People are just buying the wrong ones, then they get hit with trying to keep them running. I've had 4 Cummins trucks, (96,03,06,12) all with really high miles. (250k-420k) Never replaced turbo, head gasket, injectors, lift pump, injection pump, etc. on any of them. I opt'd to put built transmissions / torque converters in 2 of the 4 for extra performance. They are GREAT engines. The best, bar none IMO

My maintenance cost has always been low for the engines, regular oil changes and a fuel filter change once a year. The most costly maintenance I've had to keep up on for them was the front suspension. (ball joints, wheel bearings, track bar, etc.)

It took me too long understand what all the Cummins hype was about. Now that I own a few of them, I can see why people are so devoted to them. Anything Cummins powered becomes more appealing than other power plants

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #375  

5w/30 fully synthetic is prescribed by Ford for the EB. Youre getting that for 17.99 per 5 liter ? And does it meet the specifications required by Ford, or is it just any low grade 5w/30 ?

I can get oil at the dollar store too, with the same viscosity. Just not the same API class, its an oil approved for light duty use. Good enough for your grocery getter that gets changed once a year before it has driven the miles, but not when you change oil because youve put the max miles on it.

Last edited:
   / Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #376  
5w/30 fully synthetic is prescribed by Ford for the EB. Youre getting that for 17.99 per 5 liter ?

I don't know what that poster bought exactly, but Can Tire normally does not sell the SC rated (1930 engines) gasoline motor oil you may find in some dollar stores.

CTC has some house-brand synthetics (there are few refineries in Canada, and not many more in USA, so anything legit is coming from pretty much the same places) that can be lower-priced, but to address your cost question, a good quality synth 5w30 these days would be well priced at roughly twice that price here. Canadian costs are often higher than the USA, and like most of the World, have taken a significant hike in the last 2 years on most things.

That poster may have stocked up during a really exceptional Sale (Boxing Day here, Black Friday.....) @ $17.99/5L.

Rgds, D.

Last edited:
   / Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #377  
High maintenance on a diesel is a fallacy.

Buy a good diesel that doesnt require maintenance.

6bt should make it to half million miles with just oil, filters, belts and idler pully or 2.

Then pull the head. Check the injectors. Check valve seats and go another half million.

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #378  

6bt should make it to half million miles with just oil, filters, belts and idler pully or 2.

Then pull the head. Check the injectors. Check valve seats and go another half million.
Can you lend me a working Flux-Capacitor ?

;) Rgds, D.

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #379  

It’s not hard to find Cummins diesels with 1/2 million miles on them, even in hard service applications.
Farm tractors with 15,000 hours not uncommon.

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #380  
It’s not hard to find Cummins diesels with 1/2 million miles on them, even in hard service applications.
Farm tractors with 15,000 hours not uncommon.
And no reason to pull the head unless exhibiting symptoms of a problem.