why so many jeeps now on road?

/ why so many jeeps now on road? #101  
I have about 120,000 on my Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Bought it used, The computer for the engine and the lights (yep seperate computer box) had both been replaced by the PO.
At 100,000 the water pump burst and also killed the radiator. That was expensive.
When the brakes got close to replacement, they locked up and caught fire (one front caliper, and one read caliper)

The transmission is sluggish. But this thing pulls like mad.
I do take it across my property to move/load/unload dirt/plants etc. and am never afraid it'll get stuck in a field ( at least so far).
Great in the snow, carries stuff well.

Most people around here who have them, spend more time at the carwash than on dirt though. Think I am the only one who bought mine to get a little dirty.

/ why so many jeeps now on road? #102  
“You’ve come a long way baby”. The original CJ, the 1945 CJ2A vs a 2019 version.

1637605054403.jpeg

/ why so many jeeps now on road? #103  
^^^My neighbor has one like that tan one but his is in well used original condition.....rough!

I like that green one! I like the crawl ratio too.

/ why so many jeeps now on road? #104  
in the past few months, i notice a huge increase of Jeeps on the road here in town & on way to place out of town. Why? my theory is covid release. lots of wanna be adventure seekers out there now. most of them will never go off road, mostly mall cruisers, but still, i'm amazed.

covid craze it is. people are on a spending frenzy. same with home remodeling on my block. lots of spending, with lots quitting jobs, with the supply chain starved.... no wonder inflation is skyrocketing (of course for other reasons as well).
what is it about this Jeep craze? then there is the new Jeep Pickup...don't get me started on that wannabe retro model, i have too many enemies already
Up here in Northern Maine, Jeeps have been a given forever ! I got mine back in 1973 for $100.00 not working or roadworthy. 1946 CJ-2A with 76,000 miles at the time. I have since rebuilt it 2 times and had the L-4 re-built at a shop and now have over 90,000 miles on it and it still only has 1 vacuum hose (the wiper). When the SHTF it should still run fine without any electronics - which compares with my 2018 Honda Ridgeline with 30,000 miles and dozens of hoses and electronics which should not run when that happens. But, then IF it is winter-time, my old 1988 Ski-Doo Tundra will also still work (as long as we can get gas for these vehicles that is).

My Jeep gets 18 to 20 MPG when not using the 4WD or Low Range - compared to the Honda which averages 22 town and 24 highway.

Have a nice day and HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL !

Attachments

• IMG_6589.JPG
    IMG_6589.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_6596.JPG
    IMG_6596.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 49
Last edited:
   / why so many jeeps now on road? #106  
I drove from Colorado to Cape Cod via the southern route this last year and was astonished at the number of Jeeps I saw. On the East Coast, all though the Carolinas, Tenn., and southern states and even up in downtown Boston. All those businessmen driving Jeeps on the highway seemed like some sort of sci-fi movie.

Jeeps aren't as popular here in the Rocky Mountains.
Instead, out here in the rural West where one might expect to see a lot of Jeeps you see mostly Japanese 4WDs - both trucks and cars.
rScotty
In my part of the Rocky Mountains, Jeeps are very popular.

/ why so many jeeps now on road? #108  
VERY NICE !! Mine was Michigan Yellow back in 1946. By the way 1946 was the first year of the CJ-2A.
That’s just a photo I found, not mine.
My understanding was 1945. The story goes Willys-Overland had the CJ2A in the works as the war was winding down and military orders were ending. A quick revamp of the MB for the civilian market. So maybe built in late 45 as a 46 model? I’m more attuned to the 3B and its history.

/ why so many jeeps now on road? #109  
Many new around here too..

Jeep had some real deals on price and finance...

Also inventory to move and then the coolness factor...

The 5 new Jeep owners I know are all single women 20's-30's in age.

The newest one is a fully optioned Rubicon... She said it's a gift to herself.... she doesn't drive it everyday on her 120 commute... her old reliable KIA gets better mileage...
Reliable and Kia should be used together IMO. I just got my 2020 Kia Soul back today with the second transmission failure in 27,000 miles. First failure was at around 17,000 and they did a reflash of the computer (whatever a reflash is). This time they replaced the transmission.

/ why so many jeeps now on road? #110  
I just wish they would slow down, get off the phone and pay attention to the center line and notice that those big tires they are so proud of, are over the line.....just look in your rear view mirror.
So to be clear, you believe that:

Jeep owners speed, cross the yellow line, and talk on the phone more than any other group of vehicle owners?
And while we are doing all that multi-tasking, looking backward in the rear-view mirror will help us stay in the lane aa we speed forward?

And may I ask, are you proud of your John Deere? If so, why is that a bad thing?