why so many jeeps now on road?

/ why so many jeeps now on road? #111  
See post 19 for details and let me know what higher rated vehicle has 4 wheel drive and can be flat towed behind my RV with a 5000 lb limit.
Some F150 4wd come in under 5000. Much higher rated than Jeep..and I don't like Ford either, but you have a specific set of parameters.

/ why so many jeeps now on road? #112  
JD Power's initial reliability is a joke. It is taken after 90 days. Some individuals seem to have good luck with Jeep. Statistically, they are among the least reliable vehicles. See Consumer Reports, any year's auto issue will do.

See post 19 for details and let me know what higher rated vehicle has 4 wheel drive and can be flat towed behind my RV with a 5000 lb limit.
My wife had a really nice Jeep Sahara 4 door, 4wd version for several years, it was her baby. I had a hard time getting my legs in and out, but overall it was OK to drive. Then one day out of the blue she says she wants a truck just like mine; mostly for the safety rating, and she wanted to sit up higher. There is no comparison between a Jeep and an F150 for almost anything. Apples and Watermelons...

/ why so many jeeps now on road? #113  
Some F150 4wd come in under 5000. Much higher rated than Jeep..and I don't like Ford either, but you have a specific set of parameters.
I traded my F150 crew cab for this Wrangler. There was a lot to like but at 6800 lbs, I could not tow it.
A single cab for me was not an option. Jeep checked off everything I needed. Mine has been great. YMMV.

In my limited experience, Ford's are better in general and give better value. I have had several Rangers and 2 Mustangs. But my '13 F-150 had more issues than my Jeep. 2 Radios, rear brake rusted up solid. Recall to fix computer glitch. ( I hit the gas once to make a pass then tapped the brakes momentarily. The computer didn't know that to do so it just started coasting, no power as traffic appeared over the horizon). It was either Eco or Boost but not symultaniously.

/ why so many jeeps now on road? #114  
Actually I have been noticing the increased number of jeeps on the road for the past year or 2. One of the reasons I notice them is that they are for the most part a "statement"! Bright colors, ultra wide noisy wheels and tires, loud music and far to often, speeding and swerving. They have as much right to their half of the road as I do to my half. I think if they would look in the rear view mirror, they might notice that although their door is on their side of the line...their wide rear wheels are not.

/ why so many jeeps now on road? #115  
That’s just a photo I found, not mine.
My understanding was 1945. The story goes Willys-Overland had the CJ2A in the works as the war was winding down and military orders were ending. A quick revamp of the MB for the civilian market. So maybe built in late 45 as a 46 model? I’m more attuned to the 3B and its history.
As seen in the Collector's Library JEEP book by Jim Allen (ISBN 0-7603-1979-0) - in 1944 the CJ2 Jeep and the Agrijeep were created (as of the books printing in 2004) page 49 & 50. Mine is Serial # 57578 which was the 47,578th made in 1946 page 54. My son has one also and his is 69,907. Our Jeeps are both CJ-2A. They were both Michigan Yellow. I painted mine Fire Engine Red and he had his painted yellow before I finished mine this last time.

It is a very nice "fun" vehicle to work on and to drive !! I put regular tires on mine & my son put millitary-looking ones on.

/ why so many jeeps now on road? #116  
I once had a CJ2A. It always made me nervous driving, with the dash and hood at knee level. I've never been in a CJ3B but that should be OK, with its higher hood. A CJ5, my M170, and Wrangler never bothered me that way.

My Commando bothered me with its low seat and wide hood. Much poorer visibility than a CJ.

Bruce

/ why so many jeeps now on road? #117  
My wife had a really nice Jeep Sahara 4 door, 4wd version for several years, it was her baby. I had a hard time getting my legs in and out, but overall it was OK to drive. Then one day out of the blue she says she wants a truck just like mine; mostly for the safety rating, and she wanted to sit up higher. There is no comparison between a Jeep and an F150 for almost anything. Apples and Watermelons...
Until we want to go rock crawling. Then you'll see the difference. Jeep also so much cooler with top down in summer. Fun factor is no comparison.
Unless its a 392 Jeep…..
When you go out to the rock crawling rentals in the western states, if it’s a motor vehicle, guess which one you find 9 out of 10 times? Hint: it’s not an F-150.

Last edited:
   / why so many jeeps now on road? #118  
Made the mistake of purchasing a Jeep Cherokee in 2015. O so happy to get rid of it in 2017. Don't how it passed headlight laws with the miserable candles it had, amongst many other faults the dealer service advisors "never heard of" before. Even though the problems were discussed at length on the net. Didn't do research, my own damn fault.

/ why so many jeeps now on road? #119  
So many vehicles now go for style vs function on the headlights. grrr

/ why so many jeeps now on road? #120  
I see a lot of Jeeps on the road, I don't see that they are any worse then any of the other drivers on the road.
We all know that none of them except me can drive worth a darn. :ROFLMAO: 🤪