Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor?

/ Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor? #81  
I’ve read the entire thread and highly recommend going for the extra 10 horses or even more and hopefully find a good and helpful experienced dealer to buy it from.
The only real problem with a front mount blower is you have to remove the loader to install the blower, because of that issue I bought a 72” rear 3 point blower, yes I would prefer to blow snow going forward but the rear blower has been working great for me, my tractor came with three rear remotes , one set swivels the spout, one set tilts the spout, one set controls the hydraulic top link.
If you plan on going in the woods i highly recommend installing a skid plate to protect the underside of your tractor. It can get very expensive fixing stuff under there.
With all the worldwide inflation that’s going on right now in another 10 years what a new tractor costs today will sound pretty cheap.

Last edited:
   / Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor? #82  
SNIP..... since we are filling the rear tires too that will only mean more ballast weight for when we use the loader also...SNIP

I believe that you started this thread saying that you didn't know anything about tractors & wanted to learn.

So what convinced you that you should fill the rear tires? That's commonly done for some types of work and some types of soil but not common at all for other types of soil & terrain & climate.

BTW, what kind of tire tread are you looking at? Weight distribution and tires probably have as much to do with what the tractor does as a 10hp difference at the PTO. And tires/wheels/weights can be as expensive an option as extra HP.

What about gearing? What type of transmission are you looking at? That affects things too. HST doesn't tend to offer creeper gears. Also, some HSTs don't have any form of constant speed setting i.e. cruise control. But then few shuttle/power shifts have auto load sensing throttles & return to idle.

And then there's the 3pt hitch.... Cat I or I/II ? At 40 to 50 hp you are right at the dividing line for the hitch.

rScotty

/ Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor? #83  
One approach to consider. I hear OP saying the 55 is tuned up version of the 45. [[ My understanding from the dealer is that the 45 is a tuned DOWN version of the 55. ]]

These are on the high end of my shopping list. If I go with this brand, I will either get the 55, or will be down a whole class. (NS or DK)

(y) Makes good sense. If reported sticky butterflies in the intake tract are actually there it would be an adjustable detuning feature. - - which should be pretty easy to defeat to get extra soup!

/ Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor? #84  
I believe that you started this thread saying that you didn't know anything about tractors & wanted to learn.

So what convinced you that you should fill the rear tires? That's commonly done for some types of work and some types of soil but not common at all for other types of soil & terrain & climate.

BTW, what kind of tire tread are you looking at? Weight distribution and tires probably have as much to do with what the tractor does as a 10hp difference at the PTO. And tires/wheels/weights can be as expensive an option as extra HP.

What about gearing? What type of transmission are you looking at? That affects things too. HST doesn't tend to offer creeper gears. Also, some HSTs don't have any form of constant speed setting i.e. cruise control. But then few shuttle/power shifts have auto load sensing throttles & return to idle.

And then there's the 3pt hitch.... Cat I or I/II ? At 40 to 50 hp you are right at the dividing line for the hitch.

rScotty
The 55hp he's looking at is Cat 1/2, the 45hp is not. Another reason to bump up to the 55.

/ Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor?
Welcome to TBN.
Thank you!
I’ve read the entire thread and highly recommend going for the extra 10 horses or even more and hopefully find a good and helpful experienced dealer to buy it from.
The only real problem with a front mount blower is you have to remove the loader to install the blower, because of that issue I bought a 72” rear 3 point blower, yes I would prefer to blow snow going forward but the rear blower has been working great for me, my tractor came with three rear remotes , one set swivels the spout, one set tilts the spout, one set controls the hydraulic top link.
If you plan on going in the woods i highly recommend installing a skid plate to protect the underside of your tractor. It can get very expensive fixing stuff under there.
With all the worldwide inflation that’s going on right now in another 10 years what a new tractor costs today will sound pretty cheap.
Thanks, I think thats what we are going to go with.
I hear ya, a front mount blower is off the table as I dont want to be removing and attaching the loader everytime I have pallets coming in or out. And thats a good point about inflation, with how things have been going that may very well be the case!

rScotty
Yep you are right, Im a car guy not a tractor guy, this is all fairly new to me. But I try to learn what I can, I have been watching videos, talking to dealers, reading tons of posts, etc...Im trying lol

For the loaded tires, All the dealers we went to recommended it and were throwing it in with purchase also. To me, I like the ballast of it because I will be moving around some heavy pallets. Im not sure if loading the tires will be enough, but it will only help.
Also wont the extra weight help me push snow better? And just help traction in general?
Most dealers around here seem to by default order the industrial tires, R4 IIRC. We have been told they are a good all around tire. They also said AG tires have a tendency to rip stuff up. No idea on turf tires.
We are only looking at HST. Grew up with manual cars so the idea of a manual transmission does not scare me off, but the HST seems much more convenient especially for snow and loader work. Pretty sure the NX's do have cruise control also.
Sorry Im not sure what you are asking with the hitch, the NX4510 comes with Cat I, the NX5510 is Cat I/II.

If I am wrong on any of this, please let me know!

/ Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor? #86  
With more HP you also may get more hydraulic flow. This important with grapple work picking up tree trunks to cord. More horsepower won't bog down as quick when doing dirt (or snow) work. I run a JD3046R and occasionally wish I'd gone with the 4052.

Hydraulic flow gives speed of motion - important for driving motors and for ultra repetitive time consuming motion like log splitting. Unless you have reason to operate a loader and grapple quite quickly you wont need high flow. Pressure is what gives you Force. That is indispensable.

/ Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor? #87  
For the loaded tires, All the dealers we went to recommended it and were throwing it in with purchase also. To me, I like the ballast of it because I will be moving around some heavy pallets. Im not sure if loading the tires will be enough, but it will only help.
Also wont the extra weight help me push snow better? And just help traction in general?
Also helps with stability if you live on hills/on a mountain top...

I completely understand Derp, I am in the same position. It's very frustrating at times. If it makes you feel any better I have been shopping for two years. I strongly advise you to go sit on one first and test drive it. A tractor can seem perfect on paper but terrible in real life. I experienced this with Deere's 2038R. There are tons of people who rave about them on this site but I wouldn't have one. Everything about them is uncomfortable and too cramped for me personally. This is a lot of money 🤑 that you will be spending so you need to make sure it's what you want and will be happy with.
I feel you, shopping for anything kinda sucks now. I did drive a similar size one. I watched as many videos as I could find on the NX as its kinda the best I can do right now.
With more HP you also may get more hydraulic flow. This important with grapple work picking up tree trunks to cord. More horsepower won't bog down as quick when doing dirt (or snow) work. I run a JD3046R and occasionally wish I'd gone with the 4052.
Id like to think there is some type of benefit there. On paper it says the max flow rates are the same between the 2 models, so I'm not sure if there is any benefits?
I bought a 54 HP Massey instead of the 58 and every time I blow snow, I regret not spending a couple thousand more for the 58 HP.
Also, if you see a lot of snow blowing in your future, get a cab, HST, and a FRONT MOUNTED blower. i guarantee you won’t regret those options. The only downside to a cab is operating in the woods, but with care (and a pair of loppers) it can be done.
Oh yeah too much snow and sometimes wind here for no cab so we are only looking at Cabbed models with HST.
Front mount would be great but I need the loader available unfortunately

I think it's more important to compare torque than horsepower.
I agree but for some reason they dont seem to share the TQ figures. Someone on another thread did post what appeared to be dyno sheets between the NX4510 and NX6010 and there was considerable TQ gains between the 2.

/ Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor? #90  
Thank you!

Thanks, I think thats what we are going to go with.
I hear ya, a front mount blower is off the table as I dont want to be removing and attaching the loader everytime I have pallets coming in or out. And thats a good point about inflation, with how things have been going that may very well be the case!

Yep you are right, Im a car guy not a tractor guy, this is all fairly new to me. But I try to learn what I can, I have been watching videos, talking to dealers, reading tons of posts, etc...Im trying lol

Most dealers around here seem to by default order the industrial tires, R4 IIRC. We have been told they are a good all around tire. They also said AG tires have a tendency to rip stuff up. No idea on turf tires.
We are only looking at HST. Grew up with manual cars so the idea of a manual transmission does not scare me off, but the HST seems much more convenient especially for snow and loader work. Pretty sure the NX's do have cruise control also.
Sorry Im not sure what you are asking with the hitch, the NX4510 comes with Cat I, the NX5510 is Cat I/II.

If I am wrong on any of this, please let me know!
You are on the right track.