Winch...

/ Winch... #11  
I was using an electric winch and was considering getting a hydraulic winch. Fortunately, I decided to get a honda gas powered portable winch. I liked it so much that I became a dealer. I have not used my electric winch since getting the gas one. It is more versatile than the electric winch. Being able to haul in a log that is 300' away is nice and the rope is safer than a cable. It has gotten my PT out of a few mud holes as well. For that, if you are by yourself, you want their self-blocking pulley. My customers only complaints regarding the winch was that they wished they had bought one sooner. But they are not cheap.

Ken

/ Winch...
I remember a past posting here complaining about that very feature.

No free-wheel capability on the winch makes it a pain to use, as you have to hold the lever to manually unwind the cable. Not real convenient.

Why don't you want an electric winch on the PT? It really is the cheapest solution. You could get 3-4 WARN ATV winches for the price of one hydraulic winch. I have one mounted on a 2" box beam, so it plugs into the hitch receiver QA plate.

They are small enough you could probably mount one underneath the lift arms.... although continuous exposure to grass clippings while mowing might not be good for it.

The PT425 battery is too small for the amount of winching I am wanting to do. And, the Kohler engine has a small alternator as well. I used to do some 4 wheeling and getting stuck was part of the fun. I know the load a winch can put on a battery and charging system. Electric isn't an option for me in this case. If I was strictly going to use it on the trailer only, I'd go that route. I don't want to have to lug a 2nd battery around on the PT.

/ Winch...
Moss, I have that winch. I took it off the quick attach plate and mounted it to a 2 inch receiver tube. I then plugged it into my two inch receiver on the back of the PT. I ran hoses to the back so I could power it. I don't use it a lot. I just wanted to be able to get unstuck after driving into a bad situation. I posted about it somewhere on here. I put a valve in the back and have a paw to lock the quick attach lever down.

Can you free spool it?

/ Winch... #16  
Every so often, i see used hydraulic winches from tow trucks etc. There are also the mile marker winches that are made to run off of the power steering pump of a Jeep or Truck.

BTW, I am normally pretty cheap but there are a few times when I am glad I strayed from my true nature. The portable winch is one and the most recent example is a CBN/Borazon wheel for my chainsaw grinder - pricey at $115 but grinds so much cooler and never have to reshape the wheel nor adjust the vise on the grinder because of wheel wear. Wish I had done that purchase 10 years earlier also.

Ken

/ Winch... #17  
have you looked at milemarker hydro winches.

/ Winch... #18  
lol I guess I need faster internet. I have one on my jeep, it has two speeds.

/ Winch...
Yes I've looked at commercially available winches. I want to make my own, unless I can find a hydraulic winch for $200. I have steel. I have welders. I have hydraulics. I'd need to purchase a couple bearings and a shaft.