Winch...

/ Winch... #1  

MossRoad

Super Moderator
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
I need a winch on my car hauler trailer to parbuckle firewood logs onto the trailer, similar to what these folks are doing in this video (but I won't be running through the danger zones or standing in the cable path :rolleyes:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD1m53UckEk

The logs will be cut into 16' lengths. They are generally ALWAYS under 14" diameter. I'll be using the car ramps. I just need to fabricate some mounts to get the logs over the fenders.

As for the winch... I have an electric winch, which would probably work well for this purpose. However, I want it dual purpose; the trailer AND the Power Trac and I don't want an electric winch on the PT425. I'd like to be able to skid some logs off of some slopes that I don't feel comfortable having behind the PT on the way down. This would be ideal, I think.

Looking at the Power Trac winch on their website, it looks like all it is is a large cubic inch displacement motor with a shaft directly powering a spool with no gearing, powered by the AUX PTO. Is that what everyone else sees? Pull the knee lever for one direction. Push for the other direction. I think its locked when in the middle position. However, is there a free spool? It doesn't look like it. I don't think I could pull the cable out while trying to operate a lever, too. I suppose I could put in an H with a valve between the lines and open it to free spool it, though. Not too hard. Or a detent valve in the OUT direction would work too, wouldn't it?

winch1.jpg

If that is the case, I think I could power a hydraulic winch with our logsplitter and a two-way valve. Or, I have an unused 8hp gas engine that I could power a hydraulic pump with on the trailer. Could also power a log splitter on the trailer, too. That would be handy as well.

Any thoughts? Its winter, so I am bored!!! :laughing:

/ Winch... #2  
   / Winch...
The PT winch is $950. I'm thinking of building my own.

/ Winch... #4  
IMO, adding the free-wheeling will likely be your biggest challenge. I have a 3500lb winch on my Rhino that I use when needed...

/ Winch... #5  
would the motor from the post hole digger work? Not sure if you have on or not. Just a thought

/ Winch...
The only motorized attachments I have are the brush hog and mower deck. I don't want to be swapping motors often, anyway. I take 50-60 trees (telephone pole sized) off my property every year, so I want a dedicated winch.

/ Winch... #7  
Looking at the Power Trac winch on their website, it looks like all it is is a large cubic inch displacement motor with a shaft directly powering a spool with no gearing, powered by the AUX PTO. Is that what everyone else sees?
I remember a past posting here complaining about that very feature.

No free-wheel capability on the winch makes it a pain to use, as you have to hold the lever to manually unwind the cable. Not real convenient.

Why don't you want an electric winch on the PT? It really is the cheapest solution. You could get 3-4 WARN ATV winches for the price of one hydraulic winch. I have one mounted on a 2" box beam, so it plugs into the hitch receiver QA plate.

They are small enough you could probably mount one underneath the lift arms.... although continuous exposure to grass clippings while mowing might not be good for it.

/ Winch... #8  
Not sure if you can get enough amps off the your PT to use an electric.

I have been playing with one on my machine, the rig is a bit different. I am staying away from the QA because my main reason to use it is to get me unstuck. I have a design where the winch has chains that attach to the body of the pt (I have tied down hooks welded on). Still have not finalized or tested at this point.

/ Winch... #9  
I need a winch on my car hauler trailer to parbuckle firewood logs onto the trailer, similar to what these folks are doing in this video (but I won't be running through the danger zones or standing in the cable path :rolleyes:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD1m53UckEk

The logs will be cut into 16' lengths. They are generally ALWAYS under 14" diameter. I'll be using the car ramps. I just need to fabricate some mounts to get the logs over the fenders.

As for the winch... I have an electric winch, which would probably work well for this purpose. However, I want it dual purpose; the trailer AND the Power Trac and I don't want an electric winch on the PT425. I'd like to be able to skid some logs off of some slopes that I don't feel comfortable having behind the PT on the way down. This would be ideal, I think.

Looking at the Power Trac winch on their website, it looks like all it is is a large cubic inch displacement motor with a shaft directly powering a spool with no gearing, powered by the AUX PTO. Is that what everyone else sees? Pull the knee lever for one direction. Push for the other direction. I think its locked when in the middle position. However, is there a free spool? It doesn't look like it. I don't think I could pull the cable out while trying to operate a lever, too. I suppose I could put in an H with a valve between the lines and open it to free spool it, though. Not too hard. Or a detent valve in the OUT direction would work too, wouldn't it?

View attachment 407027

If that is the case, I think I could power a hydraulic winch with our logsplitter and a two-way valve. Or, I have an unused 8hp gas engine that I could power a hydraulic pump with on the trailer. Could also power a log splitter on the trailer, too. That would be handy as well.

Any thoughts? Its winter, so I am bored!!! :laughing:

Moss, I have that winch. I took it off the quick attach plate and mounted it to a 2 inch receiver tube. I then plugged it into my two inch receiver on the back of the PT. I ran hoses to the back so I could power it. I don't use it a lot. I just wanted to be able to get unstuck after driving into a bad situation. I posted about it somewhere on here. I put a valve in the back and have a paw to lock the quick attach lever down.

/ Winch... #10  
Moss, I have that winch. I took it off the quick attach plate and mounted it to a 2 inch receiver tube. I then plugged it into my two inch receiver on the back of the PT. I ran hoses to the back so I could power it. I don't use it a lot. I just wanted to be able to get unstuck after driving into a bad situation. I posted about it somewhere on here. I put a valve in the back and have a paw to lock the quick attach lever down.

This is the link. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/power-trac/170326-winch-modifications.html?highlight=winch