Wind Generation

/ Wind Generation
I know about some equipment used to bury cable . I've seen a D-9 Cat being assisted with a D-6 cat burying a large fiber cable pulling a burying machine several feet deep and other equipment like Ditch-Witch burying cable 6" deep for internet . What the question is , that's been avoided , what equipment have you seen burying the cable ? There are hundreds of wind turbines in my area and to this day over the past 12 years i have never seen a cable being buried . I've retired from the natural gas industry where a portion of my job was to flag pipe lines, sometimes across 640 acres with yellow flags designated for gas and to this day i don't see 1 flag anywhere to mark any gas lines . This leads me to believe there is not 1 volt of electricity going anywhere from the turbines in my area but there is someone making a hell-of-ah bunch of money from this political nonsense .

So the question still is , has anyone on this forum actually seen miles of cable being buried from a field of wind turbines ?

/ Wind Generation #54  
Why does this discussion always result in a deflection to whatever China is doing? Why can’t we do things to improve the health and environment for us in the US? Coal is not a desirable source for power generation in this century. The mining destroys the land (I’ve seen plenty of the “rehabbed” mine sites: rock piles with thin soil tossed on top), pollutes our water and air with mercury and sulfur dioxide, and produces toxic slag that creates a hazardous waste disposal site. And for what? Coal power is more expensive than natural gas produced power and renewables are rapidly becoming cheaper also. In my state, the last large coal plant is scheduled to be converted to natural gas in 2023/24. We are doing well with a mix of natural gas, wind and solar, with electrical bills that are actually a bit cheaper than 10 years ago. Let’s do something good for America and clean up our country and not worry about what other countries are doing.
Well if you read my other post (#46) I said Nukes and gas were the answer, not coal.

/ Wind Generation #55  
I know about some equipment used to bury cable . I've seen a D-9 Cat being assisted with a D-6 cat burying a large fiber cable pulling a burying machine several feet deep and other equipment like Ditch-Witch burying cable 6" deep for internet . What the question is , that's been avoided , what equipment have you seen burying the cable ? There are hundreds of wind turbines in my area and to this day over the past 12 years i have never seen a cable being buried . I've retired from the natural gas industry where a portion of my job was to flag pipe lines, sometimes across 640 acres with yellow flags designated for gas and to this day i don't see 1 flag anywhere to mark any gas lines . This leads me to believe there is not 1 volt of electricity going anywhere from the turbines in my area but there is someone making a hell-of-ah bunch of money from this political nonsense .

So the question still is , has anyone on this forum actually seen miles of cable being buried from a field of wind turbines ?
I believe I answered your question with a Yes a while back. We watched them build the huge wind farm north of Lafayette, IN over a 9 year period. We saw them build the windmills, plow in the cables, build the sub-stations, build new high tower transmission lines. We'd take the kids out and drive around the area, as it was just amazing the amount of work going on.

I guess I should ask, what are you getting at? Do you want the specific make and model of the machinery? Are you interested in the technology?

Because your posts come across as someone the doesn't believe that the wind turbines are connected to anything. Hope that's not what you're implying. :oops:

/ Wind Generation
My name isn't Dude and of all the thousands of turbines , and some being present during construction no one has actually seen a cable being laid . That's strange .

/ Wind Generation #58  

Your fixation on this is absolutely absurd. Of course the power companies tie their power generation into the grid. This isn’t even a worthy topic of debate.

/ Wind Generation #59  
Eddie, here's a bar chart provided by AEP (American Electric Power), who provides power in 11 states. It's one of the largest in the country.

View attachment 734872 . View attachment 734873

It shows the sources they used to generate power in 3 different years;
And what it expects in the year 2030.
It's kinda clear that as coal goes away, other forms of generation are coming up. It does not show specifically that wind coming up (the yellow is wind, solar, pumped, and hydro), but it does show that renewables are going to supply more than coal by 2030. Coal plants are getting replaced.

Personally, I don't care for wind power. I'd rather see solar and nuclear.
I agree with your last statement, but the Great Plains states produce more wind than anything else. May as well use it.

/ Wind Generation #60  
Well if you read my other post (#46) I said Nukes and gas were the answer, not coal.
I agree, but where I live, we are also generating a lot of low cost wind and solar. Gas is the largest source though. My state should be a leader of nuclear because we did invent the bomb and develop nuclear technology first, but those power plants are hugely expensive and use a lot of scarce water resources.