Winter maintenance

/ Winter maintenance #1  

cmyoung2

Gold Member
Tractor
BCS 850, Kubota BX2230 w/FEL, mid mount mower, 41" tiller Kubota L3600 w/4-1FEL, Farmi winch
Had a break last weekend, decided to catch up on some maintenance on my BCS850. Brakes were a little stiff, as in almost frozen up, so took off wheels, drums, shoes and backing plate. Had to grind the weld and remove the lever, cleaned up the shaft and hole, regreased and rewelded. Then used a cable lube tool, MotionPro I think, to lube all the cables. It is amazing the difference it makes. Brakes that really work and levers that are easy and smooth. The gradual decline is almost not noticed, but man, what a change when you fix it. Has anyone figured a way to grease the brake shaft on these things? Started to drill and tap to put a zerk, but couldn't figure out where to put it so I could actually get a grease gun on it.

/ Winter maintenance #2  
Drill and tap for a zerk. Use a grease gun hose and fittings to get the zerk to where you can put a grease gun on it. Just don't over grease as extra grease doesn't help braking efficiency.

/ Winter maintenance
There is nowhere to put a zerk where I can reach it with a grease gun, unless I drill and cross drill the shaft and use a rt.angle zerk. Didn't want to try that without a drillpress.

/ Winter maintenance #4  
I'm thinking that if you greased it good when you put it back together then you probably won't have to look at it again.