Tires Winter use Tires

/ Winter use Tires #21  
In my experience I've cleared snow with Kubota's in two provinces...Manitoba and British Columbia.
Two BX series tractors with R3 Turf tires, as well as a B3030HST cab unit.
Manitoba snow is generally light and packs up when it drifts...and I never had an issue with turf tire traction with either the BX or B3030 with snowblower.
British Columbia is generally heavy wet snow and can be hard to push (only have a BX loader bucket now), but again, the turf tires provide plenty of traction.
Glare ice conditions - waste of time no matter where you go.
These aren't Zambonies.😂

/ Winter use Tires #22  
Had turfs on the 1st tractor for 9 years. Good in the snow. Most noticeable thing about R4s is they don't have much turning resistance. Definitely need steering brakes.

Looks as though I may be getting R14s on the next tractor.

/ Winter use Tires #23  
I used R4s without chains for a number of years, then borrowed a neighbor's chains one year, after repeated trouble with ice in the driveway. The chains made my Kioti DK45 more capable in 2WD than it was in 4WD without chains. I now have chains on all 4 wheels, and it will go just about anywhere that the undercarriage doesn't get hung up.

/ Winter use Tires #24  
Does anybody have any experience with the Nokian Hakkapeliitta TRI tires?
I have R4, and they lack both traction and side grip. Often the tractor goes where it wants to when I am blowing snow, and I have to back up a bit and lift the snow blower off "float" position to get me going where I want to, as in staying on my driveway.

/ Winter use Tires #26  
What point?
I can only estimate, and that comes from my memory.
When we first moved to Vermont, I had a Deere 4400 open station (brought from PA when we moved) with turfs. This was late 2012 and we lived in East Randolph, VT.
Snow hit...about 10", if memory serves. All I had at the time was the bucket and my chains (for the rear tires of the 4400) were still packed away...definitely not prepared!
Anyway, had no problems (other than being cold and wet!) clearing the snow from the drive...pretty slow with the bucket. The drive wasn't long...100 feet maybe. I was quite impressed with the traction I got.
I was in 4WD, BTW. So, on reasonably level ground, I'd say 10" was no problem.
My current tractor, a Deere 4052 cab, also has turfs. No chains for this one. I use a rear snow blower and reverse to clear the snow, so the tires aren't going through any heavy stuff. They'll slip occasionally and I'll use 4WD occasionally.
I can only compare my experience with turfs in the snow to another tractor I had (4520 with Industrial). That tractor slipped a lot and 4WD was required all the time...the turfs never (knock on wood) let me down
That's my experience...so, take it for what you paid for it.
Safest way though, is to have a set of chains mounted...but the ride (I had 4 link ladder type) sucks on asphalt.
So, IMHO, turf tires without chains are good for 10" of snow

Watch tractors plowing in Europe YouTube vids). Most are running turfs with no chains...and they drive a lot faster than I ever would
Also
I'd love to have those tires!!

/ Winter use Tires #27  
I can only estimate, and that comes from my memory.
When we first moved to Vermont, I had a Deere 4400 open station (brought from PA when we moved) with turfs. This was late 2012 and we lived in East Randolph, VT.
Snow hit...about 10", if memory serves. All I had at the time was the bucket and my chains (for the rear tires of the 4400) were still packed away...definitely not prepared!
Anyway, had no problems (other than being cold and wet!) clearing the snow from the drive...pretty slow with the bucket. The drive wasn't long...100 feet maybe. I was quite impressed with the traction I got.
I was in 4WD, BTW. So, on reasonably level ground, I'd say 10" was no problem.
My current tractor, a Deere 4052 cab, also has turfs. No chains for this one. I use a rear snow blower and reverse to clear the snow, so the tires aren't going through any heavy stuff. They'll slip occasionally and I'll use 4WD occasionally.
I can only compare my experience with turfs in the snow to another tractor I had (4520 with Industrial). That tractor slipped a lot and 4WD was required all the time...the turfs never (knock on wood) let me down
That's my experience...so, take it for what you paid for it.
Safest way though, is to have a set of chains mounted...but the ride (I had 4 link ladder type) sucks on asphalt.
So, IMHO, turf tires without chains are good for 10" of snow

Watch tractors plowing in Europe YouTube vids). Most are running turfs with no chains...and they drive a lot faster than I ever would
Also
I'd love to have those tires!!
Cute little tractor. Way too small for my end use but cute anyway. Those tires are useless for my applications, hell, the tread pattern on my farm truck tires are more aggressive.

/ Winter use Tires #28  
Thread title; Winter use tires.
If someone that only drives around in circles, in the soft summer grass making hay would have something to add to this discussion other than passive aggressive condisention of everything "not his" would actually have something helpful or even remotely relevant to the thread.... get off your high horse dude! Post IF you have something to add. Nobody cares what doesn't work for you, that's not what this whole "forum" thing is about. Maybe you'd fit in on the "social media" bs better, there you can tell everyone how superior your big mac is over everyone else's.

/ Winter use Tires #30  
Like to see more groovy R4 tire analysts. Kinda of heavy duty DIY R14. Done both hot iron and chainsaw carving tools to cut grooves to improve hillside traction. Have limited opportunities in snow or ice but see improvements in other poor traction environments. Biggest obstacle is that you can’t buy them like tires or chains but have to make them. Then decide how to cut and best pattern.
IMG_0315.JPG
IMG_0674.JPG
IMG_0653.JPG