Tires Winter use Tires

/ Winter use Tires #31  
Well to add fuel to the fire;
I have started hearing some of the larger farms around here talking about running R14's on the mowing tractors,
these are the ones running the triple mowers on the large tractors instead of the R1's.
These guys are doing a bit more hay then anyone I have seen on here posting.
On the farm here the R1's have a few thousand hours on them with lots of road travel
so they are getting the bars worn down considerably and don't tear up hay fields even when the ground is soft,
the haybine actually makes more of a rut then the tractor does.

We have one Kubota on the farm with R4's on it, it has the worst traction of anything on wet or slick ground
and it has absolutely no side grip if even just the grass is wet that thing is helpless.

/ Winter use Tires #32  
Like to see more groovy R4 tire analysts. Kinda of heavy duty DIY R14. Done both hot iron and chainsaw carving tools to cut grooves to improve hillside traction. Have limited opportunities in snow or ice but see improvements in other poor traction environments. Biggest obstacle is that you can’t buy them like tires or chains but have to make them. Then decide how to cut and best pattern. View attachment 730891View attachment 730893View attachment 730895
I really don't remember anyone that did some "grooving" to their r4's reporting anything but improvement. 👍
I don't remember any particular pattern and I wonder if it just comes down to more "edges"?

/ Winter use Tires #33  
I really don't remember anyone that did some "grooving" to their r4's reporting anything but improvement.
I don't remember any particular pattern and I wonder if it just comes down to more "edges"?

More edges helps like sipping particularly on ice. Snow packs in grooves and snow-on-snow gives traction. See gravels stuck in grooves like studs but can’t confirm added traction. The grooves help with side hill slip.

R4 tires last longer and sure that grooving them lessens the life span.

On our farm have switched from R1 tires to R4 primarily for loader durability and lower landscape damage. There are comprises, always comprises. Same tires on the same machine with different operators can have very different outcomes.

/ Winter use Tires #34  
Cute little tractor. Way too small for my end use but cute anyway. Those tires are useless for my applications, hell, the tread pattern on my farm truck tires are more aggressive.
YOU DA MAN.LMAO :poop:

/ Winter use Tires #35  
I really don't remember anyone that did some "grooving" to their r4's reporting anything but improvement. 👍
I think you are right in your question about it "coming down to more edges" as that = more traction.

/ Winter use Tires #36  
I think you are right in your question about it "coming down to more edges" as that = more traction.
Which is, basically, what at turf tire gives you...

/ Winter use Tires #37  
Circular discussion 😆
I'm really learning that the conditions (driving surfaces and the snow itself) have wild swings and you really need to prepare for the best "average conditions". Those that are concerned about scarring asphalt are pretty much out of luck . Tire chains are the best "fall back" solution. The old adage of "plow WITH the storm" is still gospel particularly with ice or wet heavy snow.👍

/ Winter use Tires #38  
This is why so many people have cut grooves in their Industrial tires. The extra biting surfaces pack more snow between them just like the turf tires do. Yes Industrial tires are poor in snow and mud for that matter. I have never owned any Turf tires, (only AG and Industrial) but from what I understand they are quite a bit better in snow than Industrials.
When you take a close look at turf treads you'll observe they are the ones that most closely resemble snow tire treads.
The main difference is the rubber composition with actual snows being much softer for better gripping.

/ Winter use Tires #39  
Does anybody have any experience with the Nokian Hakkapeliitta TRI tires?
I have R4, and they lack both traction and side grip. Often the tractor goes where it wants to when I am blowing snow, and I have to back up a bit and lift the snow blower off "float" position to get me going where I want to, as in staying on my driveway.
I don't know if there's any similarities, but this is a picture of the Nokian Hapxxx#@&%, (snow tires)
20220126_101252.jpg

Now these are automobile tires, but notice the amount of siping (I think it's called). They also state that it's a softer rubber and that makes me think that it's not a good choice to run all year, they are pricey.

/ Winter use Tires #40  
I don't know if there's any similarities, but this is a picture of the Nokian Hapxxx#@&%, (snow tires) View attachment 731046
Now these are automobile tires, but notice the amount of siping (I think it's called). They also state that it's a softer rubber and that makes me think that it's not a good choice to run all year, they are pricey.
Yeah, they are extremely pricey, plus it's the wheels too. IIRC, they're mounted on R1 wheels.
I think I read one is looking at between $4K and $5K to do the deed.
Regular turfs last quite a while and considering many of us put few hours (I'd estimate 60-80 hours a year for me) on our tractors...they'll be on a long time before replacement is necessary