Won't Start after Stall

/ Won't Start after Stall #11  
Re: Won\'t Start after Stall

Just a thought,,and probably won't help a damned bit,,,but,,,run your glow plugs for a min or even two and see if you can get a chug,,,maybe its just loaded with fuel[not a desal mech],,,and be carefull when using starter fluid,,,not recommened at all in little desals,,,thingy

/ Won't Start after Stall

Would it help if I let it sit overnight? I can't think of anything that could have gone wrong, I was standing right there when it happened, it got bogged down than just quite running, nothing terrible something that you should have been able to restart right away but this time it didn't work. I was also thinking that she might have floored it immediately before it stalled. That might mean the cyclinders are awash in fuel. Is it like a gas engine in that you can let it sit and the fuel will eventually evaporate?
Frustrating......

/ Won't Start after Stall #13  

Don't know anymore than you,,it is a good question,,,,,while many things could have happened,,,you mentioned she ran it so slow it stalled,,,right?,,,,well,thats like a flooded problem on gas enginne,,but I'm like you on a desal,,,,,,did it run out of fuel?if not,,than it was getting fuel...we think,,,,did you try running your glow plugs,,,like cold weather starting,,for a couple min.?don't know what else to do,,,,after you bleed fuel with ring and plunger,,,the way I think you do that is,,,,pump it up with plunger,,,than crack open ring screw,,,does the sediment bowl look clean?,,,,but if you ran it out of fuel,,,well there is your problem,,,more info,,,,thingy

/ Won't Start after Stall #14  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Greg, I hope I followed your directions. If I missed something please let me know. I don't mind trashing the fuel filter if it will get it started,,,, )</font>
I suggested opening the hard lines at the injector end, you opened them at the pump end. But getting no fuel at the pump end is no good either.

So to elaborate on an earlier suggestion, it's time to start at the tank. Let's use
FuelSysFig010.jpg
. First comes the fuel cutoff lever above the sediment bowl (11). Make sure it's open and passing fuel.

Next is the soft line between the sediment bowl and the fuel pump (10)

Then comes the soft line between the fuel pump and the fuel filter housing (6)

Then the fuel filter (8)

Then the soft line between the fuel filter housing and the injection pump (9).
Unlikely as it sounds, any of these soft lines can collapse internally. The object is to loosen the banjo fittings and work the primer pump, watching for fuel flow at each location.

If you've got fuel moving through (9) as far as the input to the injection pump, then return to the hard lines you loosed earlier. This time remove them completely, and gently work the hand pump. Be careful at this point not to lose any small parts, as there are balls and springs that should move as the fuel flows.

If there's input TO the injection pump - but no output FROM the injection pump - one should obviously suspect the pump. But all is not lost. The pump employs a simple key drive mechanism which may be responsible.

But let's not cross that bridge till you get there. Let me know the status of your fuel flow first.

//greg//

/ Won't Start after Stall

Greg,
I will tackle thing tomorrow, however all that happened was she stalled the tractor, how can the pump go bad? How can the lines get clogged? It was running fine before this happened. I am really unsure how a simple stall could lead to this?
Post results tomorrow morning

Gavin

/ Won't Start after Stall #16  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I am really unsure how a simple stall could lead to this? )</font>
I understand your concern, but it's quite possible that a FUEL problem caused the stall - not the other way around.

And not clogged, I said collapsed - internally. Similar to flexible brake lines, collapsed fuel hoses generally have a flap of rubber inside that comes loose; like a trap door. Fuel pressure - developed by either gravity or by the fuel pump (as opposed to the injection pump) - can push against the flap, and slow down or stop the fuel flow.

So initial troubleshooting must first verify correct fuel flow. The steps I gave you to follow are designed to determine that, and so far you've only indicated that fuel seems to be getting INTO the filter. This needs to be confirmed, as does fuel flow activity beyond the filter.

I only touched upon it earlier, but the pump is driven by the timing gear assembly. Pump keys and/or drive gear key slots have historically been weak links. It's not uncommon for such keys and/or slots to round off and/or break. Also, fuel pumps have been known to jump timing. But one must verify fuel flow (or lack of) before proceeding into these areas

//greg//

/ Won't Start after Stall #17  

Gregs giving some good advice here,,,try it tommorow,,,,,,make sure you bleed the lines before starting,,,make sure its got fuel,,,make sure the sediment bowl bowl petcock is open,,,,use your decompression lever thing,,,crank it over a few times decompessed,,,hit your glow plugs for a min,,and try it,,,give it 1/4 to 1/2 throttle,when cranking,if it starts,,make sure all the fuel line connections are tight,,might be sucking air,,,,let us know,,,,there are some pretty good mocanichs,,around,,,one of them will help,,,post also on new york chinese owners board,,,and chinese tractor owners **** board. thingy

/ Won't Start after Stall #18  

Gavin,
Looking at the diagram Greg posted, refer to banjo bolt #18, there is a fine screen strainer inside this bolt, be sure to check it.

I would't panic about the pump just yet, very little volume of fuel is pumped through the hard lines with each stroke of the injector pump piston, the pressure causes the injector to pop and atomizes the fuel as it sprays it into the swirl chamber. If you have air in the steel lines, the air will compress insead of building enough pressure to pop the injector.

The sediment bowls will sometimes cause problems. I usually remove bolt 18, check the screen and while I have it off, turn the fuel on (by the valve on the sediment bowl) and make sure you have a free flow of fuel before reattaching the line at bolt 18.

then pump the primer pump, you should hear excess fuel re-entering the fuel tank through the bypass hose (top of injectors).

If it does not start after this, while you crank, open the steel line at the injector end one at a time while you crank the engine. you should get fuel eventually at which time you can tighten the fitting.

Best of luck.

/ Won't Start after Stall #19  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Be EXTREMELY careful using starting fluid with Jinmas )</font>

Over on another forum I read.. we call starting fluid 'head bolt loosener'.

Soundguy

/ Won't Start after Stall #20  

Did you check the decompression lever? May be getting fuel but no compression.