/ Wood balde #1  

Fialkowski

Tractor
4020 John Deere
I'm tryin to make wooden dozer blade for my mower

/ Wood balde #2  
I did not make a wooden one,

but I did make one for one of my riding lawn mowers,

I ran two supports under the tractor to the rear to the hitch, and fixed it so that it would pin into the hitch plate,

on the front I made it so it was spring loaded and hinged about 3" up from the bottom of the blade, if some was hit hard the blade would give, and use the mower deck lift to raise it and lower,

on the supports there were two plate that would rub on the front of the tractor frame to keep it in alignment to the tractor, very simple and easy,

I used a section of a old hot water heater for the blade,

It worked amazing well, I do not think I have a picture of it, I do still have the blade unit, (the tractor is basically in retirement).

/ Wood balde
Ok thanks

/ Wood balde #4  
Why wood?

/ Wood balde #6  
I can't use a welder or torch

Neither can I, but that hasn't stopped me yet. ;)

In all seriousness, though, I understand. I think if you can just make it so that your cutting edge can be easily replaced you should be able to make some good use of it. You might even consider making it so that the cutting edge can be metal.

/ Wood balde #7  
I had another thought, too. There is a lot that can be done in metal without a welder or torch. A cheap angle grinder can make some good cuts, and bolts will often hold things together better than a welder.

You might consider a hybrid wood/metal blade.

Do you have any plans drawn up yet?

/ Wood balde #8  
don't over look a hack saw and drill and bolts,

/ Wood balde #9  
What wood do you have available?

A good oak plank would make a good wood blade.

What is it that you want to push with this blade?

Some pic or two of the mower you want to put this on would help.

/ Wood balde #10  
A good 2x12 oak plank with a piece of angle iron bolted to the bottom should hold up just fine. It would take quite a bit of force to do any damage. Your problem will be with the frame. If you can figure a way to make it out of metal, you will be better off.