wood pallets under gravel driveway?

/ wood pallets under gravel driveway? #41  
I don't see anyone suggesting an old method of stabilizing the roadbed - corduroy. Research the building of the Alaka Highway and adapt the concept. Requires lots of freshly cut trees, If those are not available locally this would not be practical.

/ wood pallets under gravel driveway? #42  
I don't see anyone suggesting an old method of stabilizing the roadbed - corduroy. Research the building of the Alaka Highway and adapt the concept. Requires lots of freshly cut trees, If those are not available locally this would not be practical.
That is what I was talking about with the rail road cross ties. They are very well pressure treated, and last a long time (30+ years) but definitely come with down sides. I really only think they are practical option where your dealing with very high water tables and/or deep muck, that can't economical be removed.

The 'right' way is always to remove organics all the way down, remove fat clays down 2 or 3 ft below the base, and replace; but for a home owner, thats probably not worth the effort. Your not trying to last 50 years, with 50,000 daily trips, including semi's. It's the old 80/20 rule; you can get 80% of the effect with 20% of the imput (time/work/money). No need to spend $50k for a small area of a driveway; when adding $600/load of millings/crushed concrete, ect will do what you need.

The local base material we use, crushed limerock (not what people upnorth call lime stone) is a crumbly material, and will not like to stay wet, breaking down over time, and definitely absorbing water, and pumping. Not sure what the crushed rock base other areas have does in wet areas.

/ wood pallets under gravel driveway? #43  
The mechanical concrete option is interesting.

/ wood pallets under gravel driveway? #44  
Ya, i had that issue when i first moved onto my property. Had 1 area that pumped after a rain. Actually got a cat dozer stuck in that area, and contractor had to bring in another machine to get it out. We removed all the clay, down to bedrock, hauled in new rock and gravel. That was 26 years ago. Never had an issue there again.
Old carpet with rock or gravel on top works fairly well on wet muddy roads to our hunting camp. The carpet eventually rots away, but the rock sinks into the mud ready for another layer of carpet and rock.Over time the rock finally buids a fair base, but that probably would have happened anyway without carpet.

/ wood pallets under gravel driveway? #45  
Old carpet with rock or gravel on top works fairly well on wet muddy roads to our hunting camp. The carpet eventually rots away, but the rock sinks into the mud ready for another layer of carpet and rock.Over time the rock finally buids a fair base, but that probably would have happened anyway without carpet.
That is the whole meaning of geotex.
It just keeps gravel / rocks together as in envelope.
And it is glass fiber material - so it is not rotting.