Wood splitter on a 790?

/ Wood splitter on a 790? #11  
Next question! Is the "power beyond" a simple installation or should I have the dealer install? I do have "intermediate" mechanical skills. ~~ grnspot110

It is not that hard, and the instructions are pretty good...Go for it.

/ Wood splitter on a 790?
Had problems with the790 last week! Driving along a field edge when it "just died"! :( It would start & run about 3-4 seconds & die, checked fuel (OK), didn't see any problems. So I "hopped" it onto the trailer (2-3' at a time), & took it to the dealer for repair & since it has 444 hours, had them do 500 hour service while they had it.

Picked it up today, of all things, somehow a stick or something, had hit the fuel shut-off lever & turned it off! With the side panels on! They also found a "weeping" fuel line, replaced it.

I asked about the rear hydraulics kit, NLA. They could have "pieced" it on for me at over $1500!!!! :confused2: So I'm going to add a control valve to the splitter, available locally, & have hoses made to reach the bucket cylinder connectors. Just unplug the bucket cylinders, plug in the splitter & tie off the joy stick. ~~ grnspot110

/ Wood splitter on a 790? #13  
I asked about the rear hydraulics kit, NLA. They could have "pieced" it on for me at over $1500!!!! :confused2: So I'm going to add a control valve to the splitter, available locally, & have hoses made to reach the bucket cylinder connectors. Just unplug the bucket cylinders, plug in the splitter & tie off the joy stick. ~~ grnspot110

So that is kit # BM18005 that is NLA? Hard to believe...anyway they turn up on eBay every now and then, or you can make up your own PB kit.

Got the splitter plumbed today, $23 from JD for the male couplers, $70 for two 3/8" x 8' hoses & $95 for a control valve, plus assorted pipe fittings. Don't have anything home right now to test it, but it works fine w/o load!

Just went to the bucket cylinder connections, won't be using the bucket & splitter at the same time anyway! Tarp strap the joystick to the fender & go to work! ~~ grnspot110

Attachments

• HPIM1882 - Copy.JPG
    HPIM1882 - Copy.JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 144
  • HPIM1883 - Copy.JPG
    HPIM1883 - Copy.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 144
   / Wood splitter on a 790? #15  
Got the splitter plumbed today, $23 from JD for the male couplers, $70 for two 3/8" x 8' hoses & $95 for a control valve, plus assorted pipe fittings. Don't have anything home right now to test it, but it works fine w/o load!

Just went to the bucket cylinder connections, won't be using the bucket & splitter at the same time anyway! Tarp strap the joystick to the fender & go to work! ~~ grnspot110

Looks good EXCEPT for that galvanized water pipe:eek: That stuff-especially the fittings are only rated for like 300 PSI.

Looks good EXCEPT for that galvanized water pipe:eek: That stuff-especially the fittings are only rated for like 300 PSI.

Hasn't been that long ago some machinery companies used galvanized pipe & fittings for implements Glenco for one! ~~ grnspot110