wood stove wall clearance

/ wood stove wall clearance #1  

ericm979

Tractor
Branson 3725H
I'm looking to replace my prefab fireplace with a stove. It'll be in a shallow alcove which will be lined with tile or something similar. The docs for stoves I'm looking at have specs for wall clearance. Is that to a combustable wall and clearance to a non combustable wall is less, or is it all the same?

/ wood stove wall clearance #3  
Clearances (With double-wall pipe & rear heat shield)
Side 15 in.
Rear 7 in.
Corner 11 in.
Hearth Pad
Minimum Size (US) 37 1/2 in.x 47 in.
Minimum Size (Canada) 42 in.x52 1/2 in.
Minimum R-value Ember Protection
Clearances - With single wall pipe & no rear heat shield
Side 17 in.
Rear 16 in.
Corner 12 in.

That is an example of my stove clearances. If you line it with tile or stove wall board and put a heat shield behind it and on the corners you will be good.. Soapstone, Steel and cast all need different clearances..

/ wood stove wall clearance #4  
I'm looking to replace my prefab fireplace with a stove. It'll be in a shallow alcove which will be lined with tile or something similar. The docs for stoves I'm looking at have specs for wall clearance. Is that to a combustable wall and clearance to a non combustable wall is less, or is it all the same?

The absolute best backer I've ever seen is a layer of 1/2" Hardy board against the wall and galvanized, corrugated roofing steel facing the stove. This is really cheap and available at Home Depot in various lengths. This is so reflective that it doesn't get much above room temp with a raging fire in the stove. Some inspectors want an air passageway to ventilate the backer and the corrugated material does that. But the point is, it never gets hot and it's steel. Excellent. For the hearth, make yourself a concrete platform and tile it. I took a piece of 1/8" X 4" steel strap and bent it around to the shape I wanted. Screwed it onto the wall and poured it full of concrete. Then tiled it with slate. Seal the grout and/or the tiles to prevent ash from staining it permanently.

Attachments

• unnamed-11.jpg
    unnamed-11.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 173
   / wood stove wall clearance #5  
Mine is very similar for my small cast iron stove. I ran cement board made for tile along the two closest walls, then galvanized sheet metal for ductwork, spaced an inch from the cement board with screws and conduit. The top of that space is open to allow heat to rise where it gets blown out into the house by two wall fans.

A portable infrared thermometer gun rarely shows over 200 degrees at the drywall above the cement board near the ceiling.

Mine ain't dressed out fancy though. It's set up for workin', not lookin' at.

/ wood stove wall clearance
That looks effective and putting the steel on the stove side makes sense but I think my wife would want something a little less industrial looking in our living room

One of the stove manufacturers whose manuals I have been reading says that you can reduce wall clearance by 1/2 to 2/3 by covering the walls with shields of non flammable material spaced 1 in out from the wall with a gap at top and bottom for air flow. It varies depending on the material but tile on backer, itself backed by sheet steel, is the best of what they list. They have very specific specs for the shields, even where to place the spacers.

Other manufacturers' manuals say there is no way to reduce clearance.

/ wood stove wall clearance #8  
What about manufactured stone that is lightweight and can be cemented to a plywood backing wall using metal screening and mortar. Does not need a foundation.stone.jpg