wood stove wall clearance

/ wood stove wall clearance #11  
The insurance company will probably raise your rates but if you don’t tell them you burn wood in your house and two years from now you have a chimney fire with damage, they won’t pay for the damage and probably drop you as well..

/ wood stove wall clearance #12  
The insurance company will probably raise your rates but if you don’t tell them you burn wood in your house and two years from now you have a chimney fire with damage, they won’t pay for the damage and probably drop you as well..

That would be a bummer. I have already installed 3 fireplaces along with stone from bottom to top using info from the fireplace company as far as clearances are concerned.

Four years ago I moved to TN and wanted to put another one in our living room. Not a big deal I thought. Per the insurance company, I had to install the thing by either having a certified fireplace installer or basically a carpenter install it and then I had to have it inspected by someone to check it all over.

I installed it myself carefully following the clearances from the owners manual and I was able to find a handyman who was an engineer or something at one time who inspected it and filed a report to the insurance company... Then all was good. They don't trust anyone it seems.

/ wood stove wall clearance #13  
Insurance companies are surprisingly lax here, I had my stove, chimney etc installed by a licensed hearth guy 14 years ago and he still comes once a year to clean everything. The insurance company at that time wanted the installation paperwork and nothing more.

There is no hearth inspection here, if you want to install alternative heat you install it, contact your insurance company and your done.

/ wood stove wall clearance #14  
I told my ins. man I wanted insurance. He came and and looked the place over when we were out of state. I came back and went to see him and he seemed anxious by what he saw. He showed me a picture of a smokestack and said I burn wood. I said, so what. He said that the fee would be an extra $75 a year (That was the first I got dinged for that) He still was the cheapest insurance so I had the place insured.

The stack he took a picture of was from a woodburner in the garage. As long as I got dinged for that he didn't seem to care about a fireplace in the house as long as clearances were inspected by someone other than me, even if it was just from a handyman who never saw a fireplace before. Go figure. That is living in the sticks for you.

/ wood stove wall clearance #16  
When we had our wood stove installed, our insurance specified that it had to be installed by a professional installer. What's that mean? :laughing:

So, we had the people we purchased it from install it. Showed the receipt to the insurance man. Life is good.

Installer only changed $500 to haul the stove into the basement, cut a hole in the 1st floor, a hole in the 1st floor ceiling, a hole in the roof, install spacer boxes at floor, ceiling, and roof, all the pipe, flash the roof, etc.... two guys, all day, $500. Done. It was well worth it. :thumbsup:

/ wood stove wall clearance #17  
Installer only changed $500 to haul the stove into the basement, cut a hole in the 1st floor, a hole in the 1st floor ceiling, a hole in the roof, install spacer boxes at floor, ceiling, and roof, all the pipe, flash the roof, etc.... two guys, all day, $500. Done. It was well worth it. :thumbsup:

Just the labor, right? Three floors of triple wall pipe could easily run that from the prices I've seen.

/ wood stove wall clearance #18  
When we had our wood stove installed, our insurance specified that it had to be installed by a professional installer. What's that mean? :laughing:

So, we had the people we purchased it from install it. Showed the receipt to the insurance man. Life is good.

Sounds good.. I think I paid $1300 for the install but the guy that did it comes every summer, cleans the chimney, re caulks the flashing on the metal bestos, takes the stove apart and cleans everything, checks and replaces any gaskets that aren't air tight for $95, cheap insurance..

/ wood stove wall clearance #19  
1. Check with local regulations
2. If it's still a go - Check w/ insurance
3. If it's still a go - Then go looking for stove that will fit your local regs, insurance, wallet, wife.
You had better read the manual and check with your insurance company.
:thumbsup:
<snip> They don't trust anyone it seems.
And they shouldn't.

/ wood stove wall clearance #20  
Each stove should have instructions on how far it needs to be from the wall. This will include measuring from the corners of the stove if you put it in the corner of a room and have it at a 45 degree angle. Stoves with a Mobile Home rating will allow you to put the stove closer to the wall then those that are not rated for use in a Mobile Home. The one I bought, a Napolean, is rated for a Mobile Home, but that was too close to the wall for me to get behind it and clean it easily, so I installed it farther away then I had to. I just have painted sheetrock behind my stove.