wood stove wall clearance

/ wood stove wall clearance #22  
The $1,300 included three sections of double wall, (one being telescopic to the top of the stove in case I changed stoves), the triple wall through the roof, collars, outside chimney, brackets and him picking the stove up and installing it. He said mine was the last Hearthstone stove he will ever move by himself, it weights 600lbs..LOL Good thing I have a ramp on my house..

/ wood stove wall clearance #23  
Theres a condition called ``Pyrophoric carbonation``. What this is, is when a piece of cellulose material (wood and other things) is heated and maintained at a temperature of 34 degrees Celsius, that's about 93 F to you guys, after a while combustion will take place. It will eventually catch fire. In the UK we have had quite a few wooden mantels over fire places, that owners have covered over, and after a few years find they can smell something burning. It seems you guys have to satisfy your insurance guys. OK. But a non combustible sheet with an air space that will allow an air flow will stop `the wall` from warming too much.

/ wood stove wall clearance #24  
Theres a condition called ``Pyrophoric carbonation``. What this is, is when a piece of cellulose material (wood and other things) is heated and maintained at a temperature of 34 degrees Celsius, that's about 93 F to you guys, after a while combustion will take place. It will eventually catch fire. In the UK we have had quite a few wooden mantels over fire places, that owners have covered over, and after a few years find they can smell something burning. It seems you guys have to satisfy your insurance guys. OK. But a non combustible sheet with an air space that will allow an air flow will stop `the wall` from warming too much.

From what I've read, it's a dubious theory AND the bottom number is 77C, not 34C, so more than twice as hot as you quote. To think that wood will burst into flames at a temperature lower than the human body temperature (37C) is kinda preposterous.

/ wood stove wall clearance #25  
I live in a log house. (basically a kiln dried kindling box), I have a soapstone stove with a heat shield mounted to it and another on the backside of that along with one on both sides, I'm not taking any chances. 34C will never light anything including wood on fire..

/ wood stove wall clearance #26  
I have always figured that codes and specs are the minimum, I tend to go past those.
As far as stove clearances I want an extra inch or 2 at least.

/ wood stove wall clearance #27  
You had better read the manual and check with your insurance company.

++1

You may find your insurance company will give you less hassles if you use a certified WET installer. The WET installer will tell you exactly what you need and take on liability for the install. Not worth cheaping out on this one.

FYI I have a neighbor who recently had to jack hammer out their home built field stone wood stove surround after an insurance inspector said it was non-conforming - they got 30 days to remove it or lose ability to get any insurance coverage.

/ wood stove wall clearance #28  
Ignorant theory. Guess why it's called a condition. Where I'm from in MS, it is hotter than 34C over 6 months a year. If that "condition" existed, entire buildings would self ignite.

But back to reality. Concrete backer board would be fine for rear. If you are concerned, double it up. Or put an inch space between two sheets. And btw, you could substitute other decorative metal for cover. There are LOTS of different stamped designs available.