Chipper Woodmaxx chipper

/ Woodmaxx chipper #1  

Justwill

Tractor
Kubota L3301 HST
I purchased a Woodmaxx WM 8-M. I assembled it and all looked well, until I engaged the pot.and snapped 4 shear pins. I have a Kubota L3301 HST. What could I be doing wrong?

/ Woodmaxx chipper #2  
You likely have the RPM too high. Try lowering the RPM to around 1000-1200 rpm. You want them just high enough to keep from stalling the engine when engaging the PTO.
I am not familiar with how your tractors PTO engages but you need to try to slowly engage the PTO lever if possible. Some levers work like a clutch and can be slowly engaged to allow some initial slippage. MY LS is engaged with a push/pull electric switch but by fully depressing the clutch (it is gear model) I can slip the clutch a bit to slowly start the PTO without damage to a shear pin. My brother in laws NH 2310 (HST) is able to slip the PTO clutch by slowly engaging the PTO lever.
Regardless of how your tractor engages the PTO, the key is low RPM to prevent shearing the pins. Also you may want to go with a harder shear bolt if it continues to shear. I put grade 5 pins in my brother in laws plus make sure the pin is a tight/exact fit to the shear pin holes.

/ Woodmaxx chipper
Thanks Gary Fowler. The RPMs were set at idle speed and all pins were still broken. However, I did speak to Woodmaxx this morning and they said that I may need a #5 grade shear pin because of the type of pto that I have. He explained that that type of pto has so much torque when it is engaged, has too much torque for the pin. I do not have a clutch and it's just a lever to put in gear. Thanks again for your help.