Workbench top

/ Workbench top #41  
For those that have used a hardwood, either strip flooring or tread or whatever... how did you fasten it down? Did you use a "subfloor"?

I didn't use a subfloor. I attached mine right to the 'joists' with wood glue and 18 gauge brads to fasten it until the glue dried. Its held up for two weeks now. :)

/ Workbench top #42  
On a related subject, I am looking to do an outfeed table for my table saw. I am considering using melanie coated MDF--slick and flat. Anyone have any experience?

It works very well. I've used it in several places in the shop and made the outfeed table for the old saw from it.
John

/ Workbench top #43  
I make them out of a dozen 2x4s and a 3/4 solid core plywood, I rip the plywood 22" and 26" the top over hangs slightly and the frame is fit to the 22" for a under shelf all of it 8 foot long I cut off 3" off the 22" to fit under/in the center of of the legs & bottom frame. the top overhangs the frame and I screw it all together with glue on all the frame, (last two I made I didnt screw but used PL400 & framing nail gun. I have put up probably 8 or 10 of these and all of them are still holding up well. well the ones I still am around are doing well. I use them as storage shelves and work benches both. sounds of most of these benches they are made for storing semi engines to be rebuilt on them. anyhow have fun and dont over think it.

Mark

/ Workbench top #44  
I am a mechanic, I have quite a few benches made I use metal 1/4 x2 angle iron with two inverted braces in the middle covered with 2x6's wedged in and covered with 1/4 inch press board. I have a 3.5 inch tube welded under one with a 4x4 cut to fit and a when working on a long piece I slide it out as a rest. I have braces welded to mount my 6 inch record vise. That is my main work bench I have three others with shelving above the top and peg board backs.
You want a bench with as strong a top and as big a vise as you can have.
I worked on metal benches as a mechanic and am not a fan. The 1/4 inch press board, is easy to replace and if you drop something it will not damage it.