Workbench top

/ Workbench top #11  
When I built my bench I had some 2x12 bullnosed stair treads that were never going to to be used so that is what I used. You could park a battleship on it and there is no problem with putting something in the vise and grabbing a 24 inch Crescent wrench or pipe wrench and applying all the torque you want. It aint going anywhere! I hate a wimpy bench that you are afraid of hurting.

/ Workbench top #12  
I used 2x6's on a bench just like that and have been happy with it.

/ Workbench top #13  
The benches in my area seem to be a variation of 2x4 or 2x6 layed face to face and drilled for all-thread rod about every 12" to draw the 2x material together... kind of like butcher block.

On my assembly bench I have the plywood covered with brown Masonite hardboard... works great with the idea it is easy to replace... in 20 years... it is still has not been changed.

/ Workbench top #14  
On a related subject, I am looking to do an outfeed table for my table saw. I am considering using melanie coated MDF--slick and flat. Anyone have any experience?

/ Workbench top #15  
My workbench is planked then 1/8" sheet steel screwed to that. Durable and easy to clean. I clean it with a light spray lube so that the slight film left behind keeps it from rusting.
I would like a little more overhang. Next time.

/ Workbench top #16  
Glue 2 thicknesses of 3/4" plywood together and screw it down, then go to Lowe's or HD and get a sheet of 1/4" hardboard and screw it to the plywood. It makes a nice smooth surface to work on. After you wear out the hardboard in a couple of years, you just unscrew it and replace it. It's cheap durable and smooth.
I used the same ingredients but laminated three layers of 3/4" plywood because I wanted an open underneath clear space so I could move a stool around and sit where ever. The workbench is 2'x16'x38" high and 2-1/4" thick and supported by two 18"x47" Sears black metal two drawers and lower shelf pedestals. I wrapped the exposed edges with clear SPF then screwed on the disposable 1/4" Masonite work top. Both the drill press and vice are mounted on two layers of 3/4" laminated plywood that can be moved about and clamped in place.

Attachments

• P9190023.JPG
    P9190023.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 371
   / Workbench top #17  
The benches in my area seem to be a variation of 2x4 or 2x6 layed face to face and drilled for all-thread rod about every 12" to draw the 2x material together... kind of like butcher block.

I did not know that workbench tops were a regional thing...:thumbsup:

/ Workbench top #18  
My work bench top is beat up pretty bad, but I use a softer board that way things won't slip.

I don't baby it as you can see, and its lag screwed into the studs, predrilled and long lag screws into 2x6''s.

I know I can put a piece of pipe in the vise attached to it and get a large pipe wrench with a persuader on the end of it and the work bench will hang in there.

I have bent some steel in the vise, it will take a lot.
heres a picture of it.

16sheet.jpg

Rob

/ Workbench top #19  
I guess I could show you this.

CHEVELLE

Rob

/ Workbench top #20  
I did not know that workbench tops were a regional thing...:thumbsup:

I was 10 when the newly Retired Navy Commander moved into the area in a home he had bought years ago for retirement... the first thing he did was build a proper work bench.

The neighbors thought it was a neat solid design and many copied it...

The bench and house are now mine... bought the home several years ago and the bench is still rock solid... the home being of 1956 vintage not so much so.