Workmaster 55 problem. Intermittent engine dying

/ Workmaster 55 problem. Intermittent engine dying #1  

MrWhippy

Gold Member
Tractor
Ford 1710, Ford 5600, NH Workmaster 55
No rhyme or reason. Tractor starts fine, runs for a while and then just shuts off. Sometimes it restarts quickly, sometimes it has to set for a while and restarts. The fuel line is completely clear. The fuel filter has been changed. The injector lines have no air. Anyone seen this? Possible causes?

/ Workmaster 55 problem. Intermittent engine dying
So, talking with some folks, the consensus is either A) Dodgy fuel shutoff solenoid on the pump or B) broken wire/broken key switch.

Sounds about right.

Thanks for the help. :rolleyes:

/ Workmaster 55 problem. Intermittent engine dying #4  
So which was/is it?

/ Workmaster 55 problem. Intermittent engine dying #5  
I'm very interested in a follow up on your problem. A friend of mines boomer did the same. Turned out it was plastic shavings in the tank blocking the fuel line. Good luck.

Fuel runs freely at the tank, at the filter, after the filter and at the pump. It happened again last night. It's not like running out of fuel, it's more like shutting off the engine. I was there with a voltmeter when it happened a few times last night: 12 V at the fuel shut off solenoid. That makes me suspect a dodgy fuel shut off solenoid, but I won't know for a while. A new one arrives Monday and since it's an intermittent problem, it'll be (hopefully) several weeks before I know for sure.

This happens once a week or less, but when there's an event, it starts up again immediately but shortly thereafter (3-5 minutes) dies again. It definitely feels like an electrical issue, not fuel supply issue.

Put in the new solenoid and haven't had a repeat problem since. Hayed the fields over Memorial weekend so there were lots of opportunity. I haven't tested the old unit yet, but so far, it appears to be a fix.

/ Workmaster 55 problem. Intermittent engine dying #8  
If it shuts down as if you turned off the key, it is most likely an electrical issue with the solenoid shut off, the key switch or the wiring( loose terminal?) Generally speaking , fuel starvations takes a few seconds and it starts with a miss and then a hesitation and then the engine sputters to a halt.

I'd check out the electrical system from the key switch to the solenoid before I replaced anything.

Update: Symptoms are back. This time, they progressed to the tractor not starting. Very irritating. Had the service guys out. After working on it for over an hour, it turns out the electronic fuel module shows excessive wear. 500 hours. I'm not happy about this. Do I need to replace this every 500 hours? Seems like that should NOT be a wear item.

/ Workmaster 55 problem. Intermittent engine dying #10  
So, where is the fuel shut-off switch located? Ran a jumper wire from Battery pos + to shut-off and problem solved, but would like to make real repair.