Would it be possible to convert a lawn mower into a lawn "tractor"

/ Would it be possible to convert a lawn mower into a lawn "tractor" #31  
Don't let naysayers discourage you from pursuing your passion. Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy. The very worst that can happen is not turning out exactly as planned but guaranteed you will learn alot that will be useful on future projects.
Perhaps jaxs will agree with me that, actually, the very worst that can happen is not even trying.

I have to acknowledge my first tractor here. I was about 10 years old and my father bought me a tractor -- actually a riding mower with a 4 hp vertical shaft engine, a F-N-R transmission, a loose belt deadman clutch using an idler pulley controlled with a pedal, a chain drive to a rigid rear axle, and a belly blade. He took the blade off and put a pulley on the motor shaft, and mounted a car generator off to one side so I could have lights (at this time most cars had generators with brushes instead of alternators).

I loved that thing and rode around on it so much I wore the front wheels out (they were the hard rubber kind, not pneumatic).

If I had the room and the time, I'd probably have more like it today.

/ Would it be possible to convert a lawn mower into a lawn "tractor" #32  
That looks like a sweet tool for only $850. Too bad it is 1000 miles away for me. I do wish they posted their state, at least, on the for sale ads. I did not know IH made Cub Cadet. Then again, I am just getting into tractors both for NEED and WANT. Thank you for the site link.
IH made Cubs until about 1984ish. These little Cubs were real garden tractors. Meant to pull and push.

/ Would it be possible to convert a lawn mower into a lawn "tractor" #33  
Don't let naysayers discourage you from pursuing your passion. Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy. The very worst that can happen is not turning out exactly as planned but guaranteed you will learn alot that will be useful on future projects.
Yes, dont let the naysayers discourage you; Pissing over the electric fence is an unforgettable life experience, go for it ! (Just video it for the rest of us 🤣👍)

/ Would it be possible to convert a lawn mower into a lawn "tractor" #34  
That would be an interesting video.

/ Would it be possible to convert a lawn mower into a lawn "tractor" #35  
For the utility of having a much more capable "tractor" to use? NO!

For the fun and challenge of doing the conversion? YES!

Bruce

/ Would it be possible to convert a lawn mower into a lawn "tractor" #36  
Yes, dont let the naysayers discourage you; Pissing over the electric fence is an unforgettable life experience, go for it ! (Just video it for the rest of us 🤣👍)

That would be an interesting video.
IMO both should make interesting videos and I wager the lesson in the electric fence deal would last a life time.😳

/ Would it be possible to convert a lawn mower into a lawn "tractor" #37  
A cheap riding mower is too light to ever preform like you intended. You’d be a lot better off to buy something that was actually built to preform that work. Buy a rough one and restore it if you want a project.

/ Would it be possible to convert a lawn mower into a lawn "tractor" #38  
IMO both should make interesting videos and I wager the lesson in the electric fence deal would last a life time.😳
Oh boy i remember this city kid 20 years ago...we warned "watch out where you piss Harm, that wire is live !" He frowned and said "Heh, you arent serious, are you ? Nothing will happen, right ?" He shrugged and said "naah you guys are just pulling my leg" So we said, "well suit yourself then: try and find out"
He aimed, got a shock, exclaimed "ooh!" Let go of his weener, which, because he contracted due to the shock, slid back in his pants, so once the contraction of his muscles (including his sphincter) went over in half a second, he wet his pants and couldnt stop, he cried "you should have told me" while we laughed "we did !!" while he cried and laughed along with us at the same time...

Yes, definately i do remember... 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
   / Would it be possible to convert a lawn mower into a lawn "tractor" #39  
Well, I bought three lawn mowers (lawn tractors if you wish) and got two of them running, After driving the Craftsman with the 15.5 HP up a very steep part of my back yard I can say, it is probably not ideal for pulling because it could barely pull itself. The one I am keeping for myself to haul a small firewood wagon with two trash barrels full of wood and other mundane tasks is an older 12.5HP Murray without a deck.

It looks like someone had attached plates for an implement of some sort, see the pictures below. I plan on putting on a 2" ball and plate with 5/8" holes so I can tow a small trailer and maybe the various things they make for small lawn riding lawn mowers that have the 1/2" pin.

In terms of power, a gas 15 HP B&S (peak at 3600 RPMs, probably 10 HP at 3000) is in no way shape or form in the same category of a Kubota 13 HP diesel, imho.

The riding lawn mowers, many use a Tuff Torq axle rated for 500-650 # of weight driven by basically a 1/2" V belt. These belts tend to slip when using a 140-160 AMP alternator which is one reason why you find serpentine belts in modern cars. On older trucks they use to have dual belts for high output alternators because there is only so much torque you can apply to a 1/2" belt before it slips. The same applies to a hydraulic trans-axle in a riding lawn mower.

I hope to make a vehicle that can run implements and have a 4x6 or 6x6 vehicle. I was going to use either riding lawn mower axles or ZTR trans-axles attached to 1/4" steel frame. BUT, even these ZTR axles look too weak for off road dirt work. Now, Tuff Torq does make an axle for tractors that can handle 1,000+ pounds and has a locking differential, but, I am not buying one new$. surpluscenter does have a set of axles for articulated steering that look perfect and cost just the same as the ZTR set.

I probably will make a 4x6 or 6x6 Snapper using two snappers held together using 3/16 or 1/4 angle and channel and maybe I will put on a back plate for better implement attachment, but, that is a project for light duty work. I would not use it for a three point hitch for drilling holes or dragging a plow.

I would use your skills on a platform with better bones then trying to turned a mass produced commodity bought at a box store into something it was never meant to be.
Individual rear brakes instead of diff lock. 8n did not have diff lock. Fill tires, put snow chains, get after it.

/ Would it be possible to convert a lawn mower into a lawn "tractor" #40  
Anyone here that hasn't heard the story about the room full of monkeys with a football?
Kid was bored with playing football by himself when he spotted a room full of monkeys and tossed the football through the window. To his delight every monkey in the room tried taking control of the ball. After a few minutes of watching monkeys he went home but the monkeys continued wrestling over the ball until they finally wore the cover off several days later.
OP started his first and only thread 4 days ago and hasn't even looked in since,much less participated in his own thread. He tossed the ball in then moved on looking for another adventure.