Would You Loan It Out?

/ Would You Loan It Out?
Yep... I'm too nice. :confused:

Don't get me wrong. I am a very friendly person and help out my closer neighbors all the time. They borrow all sorts of things, and in return, I borrow their things, services, etc. It's give and take. This guy seems to only take. He is a rookie, and I knew that when I saw him hooking up his tiny tractor to my large tiller. But I couldn't morally stop him after saying yes. I shouldn't have said yes. When (not if) I get my tiller back, it will be the last time he borrows it.

I am afraid that he will damage it. And if he does, I will pester him about repairs, which will likely fall on deaf ears.

I have spread the word about him to my neighbors. Some of which have no idea who he is.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #16  
Maybe not a leach, but parasite comes to mind.... Suck's the life out of you and eventually kills you both...
Above makes more sense than what I posted.

Local guy asked my dad one time if he could borrow a mower? I listened to my dad tell him that if he paid him the $20 for mowing hay the previous year, he would consider it. Guy told him that he didn't have the money to pay the bill.
He was told that if you don't honor your agreed to obligation, then the mower was not available. Guy pulls out his wallet and pays the $20 dollars.
My dad told him thank you for the late payment. Then told him he would not loan his equipment.
I was around 7 or 8 years old at the time and it was very educational for me.

I learned through the years that loaning equipment was not for me.

/ Would You Loan It Out?
I would not do that. It serves no purpose.
"Neither a lender nor a borrower be."
It does serve a purpose. If this guy, leech or parasite, comes knocking to one of my 'good' neighbors, they can make their own decisions to lend their items or services, but now they are armed with more information to make a better informed decision about who they are dealing with. I'd hate to see of my 'good' neighbors gets screwed worse than I did (am).

/ Would You Loan It Out? #19  
Why did he complain about your prices if he never paid you? That alone should have been enough to tell him to pound sand. Anytime someone wants to borrow something of mine it's broken or the battery is dead. End of convo.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #20  
But I couldn't morally stop him after saying yes. I shouldn't have said yes.
Maybe, but IMO the correct thing would have been to point out his error in assumptions in order to protect not only your tiller, but his new tractor as well and then refuse to loan it to him if he insisted to continue using his undersized tractor for the safety of both of your's equipment. Firm but polite..