Would You Loan It Out?

/ Would You Loan It Out? #151  
I sent my parasite neighbor a text yesterday afternoon, asking if he was done with my tiller. He informed me that he was currently done, but has ANOTHER project he might need it for in a week or so... "But you can come get it if you need it."

I got my tiller back last night.

I checked it out. I didn't see any signs of abuse or damage. I didn't drain the gear oil, but did spin the PTO and it felt good. I hosed it off and parked it in my lower lot.

A quick note on helping, loaning, or working for neighbors. I'm totally willing to bend over backwards for my closer (both physically and relationship) neighbors. They have been great! It's been a somewhat fair exchange amongst us all. We all know each other and hang out on a regular basis. I thought this guy, from down the road, would be the same. Moving forward, if my next door neighbor needs to borrow my tiller, he'll have it, no questions asked. Because I trust him. My parasitic 'neighbor' has lost my trust in him. He might be the nicest, God fearing, family man, but I simply cannot have that type of relationship with someone with that reputation.

There has been a ton of great comments here! Thank you! I knew I messed up, but was torn morally. I am a man of my word, and when I agree to something, that something is done. This is why he was able to take my tiller. It did tear me up inside, a feeling of lending something so expensive and useful for my own property, I may never see again, all because I am a moral person. I guess I cannot let my morals get in the way of decisions like this.

Thanks again!
I'm glad you got your tiller back undamaged. Have to say I wish I had more neighbors like you. I tend to do the same thing you did. So I get why you did it. I don't think your an "Idiot", rather I think you are a really nice guy that tries to treat everyone the same way you want to be treated. It's too bad there are people like your parasitic neighbor, but it's part of life. I too have been taken advantage of by being a nice guy. I think you just have to chalk it up as a learning experience and move on and forget him. Some people are just users and you have to recognize that. If we all stop giving of ourselves to our fellow man what kind of world would we be living in? Certainly not one I want to be part of. Your a good man don't let anyone tell you differently.

P.S. ya just got one more subscriber :)

Bill

/ Would You Loan It Out? #152  
A neighbor who lives down the road from me, a neighbor who I've only met once or twice, finds out that I have a tiller. I have a Woods RT72.40 6ft tiller. Last spring, he "hired" me to till his garden plot, about a half acre. And by hired, I mean, I drove down the road about 10 minutes, tilled up the sod where he had marked, and drove home unpaid. He suddenly had to leave and never did pay the agreed amount of $50, which, in my opinion, was a steal. I really didn't care about the money, and didn't push for it.

This last weekend he calls me, first time I've spoken to him all year. He asked to borrow the tiller and informed me that he has recently purchased a new tractor.

Being the nice and helpful person I am, and realizing that this wont take much of my time, I reluctantly agreed. The tiller has been sitting all winter, so I brought it up to the shop, checked the gear oil, greased it, and slipped the slip clutch. I checked it all over for damage and set it next to my garage for an easy hook up to his tractor. He shows up in a small Branson 2400 21 HP at the PTO.... and backs up to my 6 foot wide tiller. Upon learning that his new tractor is only 24 engine HP, I advised that his tractor is simply not enough. I offered to use my tractor. He scoffed and said that he knows what he is doing, and he cannot afford my high prices! I left him to his work of hooking up to my tiller, hoping, at this point, that his 3 point wouldn't even lift it. But it did and he drove down the road.

He sends me a text message that afternoon: He said that the tiller worked very well. He was able to till at "15-1800 RPM, 1/1," and he needs to borrow it a bit longer. I needed clarification. Why so low of RPM? What is 1/1? Why does he need it longer?

Apparently, he is running as slow as the tractor could go: first gear, first range (1/1), and had to slow the RPM of the engine down to move slow enough across the ground, to do a good job. He needs it longer because he has decided to not only do the garden, but expand his garden, and also put in a big back yard.

My wife called me an idiot. Am I too nice? Too helpful? Would you have loaned your tiller (or other attachment) out to someone like this? He still has it, and I haven't heard anything back. I drove by his house this morning and I saw his garden is bigger, all tilled up, but couldn't see his back yard.

What kind of damage could I expect on my tiller of running it at low RPM on virgin soil? Its gear driven, so I assume the gears are taking a beating?
wow - you are a nice neighbor to have. He is not...

Nope - I wouldn't loan or till...

/ Would You Loan It Out? #154  
A neighbor who lives down the road from me, a neighbor who I've only met once or twice, finds out that I have a tiller. I have a Woods RT72.40 6ft tiller. Last spring, he "hired" me to till his garden plot, about a half acre. And by hired, I mean, I drove down the road about 10 minutes, tilled up the sod where he had marked, and drove home unpaid. He suddenly had to leave and never did pay the agreed amount of $50, which, in my opinion, was a steal. I really didn't care about the money, and didn't push for it.

This last weekend he calls me, first time I've spoken to him all year. He asked to borrow the tiller and informed me that he has recently purchased a new tractor.

Being the nice and helpful person I am, and realizing that this wont take much of my time, I reluctantly agreed. The tiller has been sitting all winter, so I brought it up to the shop, checked the gear oil, greased it, and slipped the slip clutch. I checked it all over for damage and set it next to my garage for an easy hook up to his tractor. He shows up in a small Branson 2400 21 HP at the PTO.... and backs up to my 6 foot wide tiller. Upon learning that his new tractor is only 24 engine HP, I advised that his tractor is simply not enough. I offered to use my tractor. He scoffed and said that he knows what he is doing, and he cannot afford my high prices! I left him to his work of hooking up to my tiller, hoping, at this point, that his 3 point wouldn't even lift it. But it did and he drove down the road.

He sends me a text message that afternoon: He said that the tiller worked very well. He was able to till at "15-1800 RPM, 1/1," and he needs to borrow it a bit longer. I needed clarification. Why so low of RPM? What is 1/1? Why does he need it longer?

Apparently, he is running as slow as the tractor could go: first gear, first range (1/1), and had to slow the RPM of the engine down to move slow enough across the ground, to do a good job. He needs it longer because he has decided to not only do the garden, but expand his garden, and also put in a big back yard.

My wife called me an idiot. Am I too nice? Too helpful? Would you have loaned your tiller (or other attachment) out to someone like this? He still has it, and I haven't heard anything back. I drove by his house this morning and I saw his garden is bigger, all tilled up, but couldn't see his back yard.

What kind of damage could I expect on my tiller of running it at low RPM on virgin soil? Its gear driven, so I assume the gears are taking a beating?
My wife called me an idiot.

Your wife is right !!

/ Would You Loan It Out? #155  

I'm going to be blunt.

Last year, you agreed to till his garden for a price. He stiffed you. That defined his character.

This year, you agreed to loan him an expensive to buy, expensive to fix piece of equipment. He sill has it.

You sir are an idiot...

I do some tractor work for hire. Mainly my 10' mower and 6' grapple on horse pastures. $75-$125/hr from when the tractor is started (I drive it on road) till the tractor is stopped in the barn.

I NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER loan tractor or equipment. Unless its my father or FIL. We swap equipment back and forth.

CT

/ Would You Loan It Out? #157  

If you have to ask that question in a forum then your wife is right.. your neighbor knows it too!

/ Would You Loan It Out? #158  

I know a fellow like that, no three or four. They borrow for free, never return it so I have to go pick it up. I had one guy who borrowed so he could do custom work, taking my customers, then when it needed parts I was to pay for them. It all came to a sudden stop when I found out and stopped it immediately. He got angry and we haven’t talked in years. I couldn’t care less.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #159  
Since I don't know you at all I will restrain my comments.

You barely know the guy.
He never paid you last time.
He thinks your rates are too high!!!
How can $0.00 be too high?
After all that you loan him the tiller.
He still has your tiller.

"My wife called me an idiot."

Unless you are newlyweds, your wife may have hit the bulleye........

/ Would You Loan It Out? #160  
My grandpa was tractor mechanic. When people would ask to borough tools or tractors he would always say. I don't loan out my wife & I don't loan out my tractor