Would You Loan It Out?

/ Would You Loan It Out? #131  
Get it back as quick as you can. He will end up using it more than you ever will. He also has his eyes on everything you own. When ever he needs something you will be the first place he will come. 30 years ago I lent a relative a wheelbarrow I had just bought brand new. A few weeks went by and of course I had to go get it (these people will never willfully bring stuff back). My wheel barrow was crushed with a V8 motor setting in it. He said it was my fault for not telling him it was rusted all out. I informed him that the brand new wheelbarrow was for moving dirt not car engines. He got mad at me over the whole ordeal. Ended up costing me a high dollar wheelbarrow. Ive never loaned it out and still have it to this day. my other one went to trash. This is the mentality of these kind of people. I stay away and dont create friendships with BUMS.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #132  
I tell everyone if you break it I would be more upset than if I break it doing something for you. So,no I don’t let anyone borrow anything (just had to replace a chainsaw my wife let someone borrow). And I usually just ask for diesel, because I always told myself if I got a tractor, I would help others who do not have.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #133  
A neighbor who lives down the road from me, a neighbor who I've only met once or twice, finds out that I have a tiller. I have a Woods RT72.40 6ft tiller. Last spring, he "hired" me to till his garden plot, about a half acre. And by hired, I mean, I drove down the road about 10 minutes, tilled up the sod where he had marked, and drove home unpaid. He suddenly had to leave and never did pay the agreed amount of $50, which, in my opinion, was a steal. I really didn't care about the money, and didn't push for it.

This last weekend he calls me, first time I've spoken to him all year. He asked to borrow the tiller and informed me that he has recently purchased a new tractor.

Being the nice and helpful person I am, and realizing that this wont take much of my time, I reluctantly agreed. The tiller has been sitting all winter, so I brought it up to the shop, checked the gear oil, greased it, and slipped the slip clutch. I checked it all over for damage and set it next to my garage for an easy hook up to his tractor. He shows up in a small Branson 2400 21 HP at the PTO.... and backs up to my 6 foot wide tiller. Upon learning that his new tractor is only 24 engine HP, I advised that his tractor is simply not enough. I offered to use my tractor. He scoffed and said that he knows what he is doing, and he cannot afford my high prices! I left him to his work of hooking up to my tiller, hoping, at this point, that his 3 point wouldn't even lift it. But it did and he drove down the road.

He sends me a text message that afternoon: He said that the tiller worked very well. He was able to till at "15-1800 RPM, 1/1," and he needs to borrow it a bit longer. I needed clarification. Why so low of RPM? What is 1/1? Why does he need it longer?

Apparently, he is running as slow as the tractor could go: first gear, first range (1/1), and had to slow the RPM of the engine down to move slow enough across the ground, to do a good job. He needs it longer because he has decided to not only do the garden, but expand his garden, and also put in a big back yard.

My wife called me an idiot. Am I too nice? Too helpful? Would you have loaned your tiller (or other attachment) out to someone like this? He still has it, and I haven't heard anything back. I drove by his house this morning and I saw his garden is bigger, all tilled up, but couldn't see his back yard.

What kind of damage could I expect on my tiller of running it at low RPM on virgin soil? Its gear driven, so I assume the gears are taking a beating?
If a man cant be trusted to pay 50 dollars for a job well done, what are the chances he'll pay the damage to your equipment, that is almost certainly going to cost much more?

I have a neighbor down the road that collects equipment and I have sometimes borrowed it if I believed I could operate the machine. I have also hired him if I didn't. Sometimes it was for pay, other times for barter. But, we have remained friends for 12 years because we are both trustworthy. I have always paid for and helped with repairs that I felt responsible for. He loaned a big piece of equipment to a mutual acquaintance and loaded it on the guys trailer and the guy didn't strap it down. He didn't have far to go, but he took a corner too fast and dumped it in the ditch. My friend had to go retrieve it with another piece of equipment and then had to repair it with no help and no offer of reimbursement. It didn't cost a lot, I don't believe, but it was the principle. Anyway, he hasn't tried to borrow anything else and that is good, since my friend doesn't have to say no.

You have to use your own best judgment, but since you're asking for advice, I'm thinking you kind of wish you hadn't loaned it out. If that's the case and you get your equipment back in good order, count yourself blessed and put a lot of serious thought into it if you're asked again. If it comes back damaged and he doesn't offer to pay for repairs, that will be more expensive, but make it very easy to say no next time.

Sincerely,

Ann Landers and Abby... lol

/ Would You Loan It Out? #135  
A neighbor who lives down the road from me, a neighbor who I've only met once or twice, finds out that I have a tiller. I have a Woods RT72.40 6ft tiller. Last spring, he "hired" me to till his garden plot, about a half acre. And by hired, I mean, I drove down the road about 10 minutes, tilled up the sod where he had marked, and drove home unpaid. He suddenly had to leave and never did pay the agreed amount of $50, which, in my opinion, was a steal. I really didn't care about the money, and didn't push for it.

This last weekend he calls me, first time I've spoken to him all year. He asked to borrow the tiller and informed me that he has recently purchased a new tractor.

Being the nice and helpful person I am, and realizing that this wont take much of my time, I reluctantly agreed. The tiller has been sitting all winter, so I brought it up to the shop, checked the gear oil, greased it, and slipped the slip clutch. I checked it all over for damage and set it next to my garage for an easy hook up to his tractor. He shows up in a small Branson 2400 21 HP at the PTO.... and backs up to my 6 foot wide tiller. Upon learning that his new tractor is only 24 engine HP, I advised that his tractor is simply not enough. I offered to use my tractor. He scoffed and said that he knows what he is doing, and he cannot afford my high prices! I left him to his work of hooking up to my tiller, hoping, at this point, that his 3 point wouldn't even lift it. But it did and he drove down the road.

He sends me a text message that afternoon: He said that the tiller worked very well. He was able to till at "15-1800 RPM, 1/1," and he needs to borrow it a bit longer. I needed clarification. Why so low of RPM? What is 1/1? Why does he need it longer?

Apparently, he is running as slow as the tractor could go: first gear, first range (1/1), and had to slow the RPM of the engine down to move slow enough across the ground, to do a good job. He needs it longer because he has decided to not only do the garden, but expand his garden, and also put in a big back yard.

My wife called me an idiot. Am I too nice? Too helpful? Would you have loaned your tiller (or other attachment) out to someone like this? He still has it, and I haven't heard anything back. I drove by his house this morning and I saw his garden is bigger, all tilled up, but couldn't see his back yard.

What kind of damage could I expect on my tiller of running it at low RPM on virgin soil? Its gear driven, so I assume the gears are taking a beating?
Your neighbor not paying you the $50 should have been a clue about dealing with him

/ Would You Loan It Out? #136  
Last thing l loaned out was a grinder. Came back locked up. Took it in to be repaired, paid $18. This was in the 90s. I like to help people out if l can but sometimes saying no is probably the best. This same guy had a set of climbing spikes l borrowed from him. I returned them with all new leather strap work done. He got the better deal l think...

/ Would You Loan It Out? #137  

AT the point where he said, "your prices are too high." I would have said jokingly, " Dude, you didn't even pay me for last year." and "By the way, You don't have enough RPM to run this implement." He wouldn't have known otherwise... I'm worried it's coming back in worse shape than it left.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #138  

He can't afford your high prices? He didn't pay you!
I'd get the Unit back. Tilling last year's ground is bad enough, cutting virgin soil... I would want to do it so I can feel it out and not abuse my equipment. Hopefully his 24hp won't work on virgin soil.
Tools like this I do not lend out. I almost always volunteer my time if I'm asked to borrow tools. It's peace of mind. I never 'push' my equipment.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #139  
Yeah, When he dropped that bomb, I was a bit dumbfounded. He caught me off guard and I was speechless. I think I said something like "Ok... whatever." and walked away, leaving him to hook it up himself (I was actually going to help, but decided to go back to my other task.)
In the end, you must trust him a little bit; if you didn't supervise the hookup. Maybe it will turn out ok..

/ Would You Loan It Out? #140  

Attachments

• E3B7FEA7-A797-41D6-90A6-D2837D173798.jpeg
    E3B7FEA7-A797-41D6-90A6-D2837D173798.jpeg
    561.7 KB · Views: 62