Would You Loan It Out?

/ Would You Loan It Out? #121  
It's hard to turn a neighbor down but I've learned. Friends and relatives here have horror stories of equipment borrowed and ending up going in somebody's auction when they failed to return. I've loaned my CUT to a relative a few times and once got a call it was sitting with a flat front, $200 cash for me to get it repaired. Second time both fronts knocked off the rims so they only had to be remounted. I fixed him - I sold the tractor. When he wanted to borrow my mini-excavator to dig a hole for his outhouse saying his son, who works for a JD dealer and was the one who damaged the tires on my CUT was going to operate, I said no, but I would come over and dig for him.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #122  
A neighbor who lives down the road from me, a neighbor who I've only met once or twice, finds out that I have a tiller. I have a Woods RT72.40 6ft tiller. Last spring, he "hired" me to till his garden plot, about a half acre. And by hired, I mean, I drove down the road about 10 minutes, tilled up the sod where he had marked, and drove home unpaid. He suddenly had to leave and never did pay the agreed amount of $50, which, in my opinion, was a steal. I really didn't care about the money, and didn't push for it.

This last weekend he calls me, first time I've spoken to him all year. He asked to borrow the tiller and informed me that he has recently purchased a new tractor.

Being the nice and helpful person I am, and realizing that this wont take much of my time, I reluctantly agreed. The tiller has been sitting all winter, so I brought it up to the shop, checked the gear oil, greased it, and slipped the slip clutch. I checked it all over for damage and set it next to my garage for an easy hook up to his tractor. He shows up in a small Branson 2400 21 HP at the PTO.... and backs up to my 6 foot wide tiller. Upon learning that his new tractor is only 24 engine HP, I advised that his tractor is simply not enough. I offered to use my tractor. He scoffed and said that he knows what he is doing, and he cannot afford my high prices! I left him to his work of hooking up to my tiller, hoping, at this point, that his 3 point wouldn't even lift it. But it did and he drove down the road.

He sends me a text message that afternoon: He said that the tiller worked very well. He was able to till at "15-1800 RPM, 1/1," and he needs to borrow it a bit longer. I needed clarification. Why so low of RPM? What is 1/1? Why does he need it longer?

Apparently, he is running as slow as the tractor could go: first gear, first range (1/1), and had to slow the RPM of the engine down to move slow enough across the ground, to do a good job. He needs it longer because he has decided to not only do the garden, but expand his garden, and also put in a big back yard.

My wife called me an idiot. Am I too nice? Too helpful? Would you have loaned your tiller (or other attachment) out to someone like this? He still has it, and I haven't heard anything back. I drove by his house this morning and I saw his garden is bigger, all tilled up, but couldn't see his back yard.

What kind of damage could I expect on my tiller of running it at low RPM on virgin soil? Its gear driven, so I assume the gears are taking a beating?
hell NO!!
your tiller pto shaft trimmed to meet his tractor??
you don't know.
he suddenly hear knocks causing him to run it so low rpm?
you don't know but I bet you're gonna check your u-joints and shaft the second you get it back.
if shaft not trimmed right (eg too LONG) and it didn't take out his output shaft then its messed with your gearbox/pto shaft.
least woods has 5yr warranty on main gearbox. willing to bet you're gonna need to take advantage of that.
I will loan my GC series tractor ALONE (with bucket) to friends...but no pto item (mower deck, tiller,snow blower,etc) I own never gets hooked to ANY other tractor than mine.
thats just stupid. your wife is right.
and both you and her may pay the price.
pto items are trimmed to match the tractor they are used for.
if my neighbor wants a 4.ft tiller run in a spot I do it. if I need a 5" wide 6" deep tilling done I borrow THEIR tractor.
our pto implements never meet other tractors.
to do otherwise is stupid.

Last edited:
   / Would You Loan It Out? #123  
I've been working with tools/machines all my life and I never lend anything out to anyone ever for any reason, period. This is why I still have tools.
The OP sounds like a nice guy but needs to learn to say NO in a nice way. JMHO

/ Would You Loan It Out? #124  
A neighbor who lives down the road from me, a neighbor who I've only met once or twice, finds out that I have a tiller. I have a Woods RT72.40 6ft tiller. Last spring, he "hired" me to till his garden plot, about a half acre. And by hired, I mean, I drove down the road about 10 minutes, tilled up the sod where he had marked, and drove home unpaid. He suddenly had to leave and never did pay the agreed amount of $50, which, in my opinion, was a steal. I really didn't care about the money, and didn't push for it.

This last weekend he calls me, first time I've spoken to him all year. He asked to borrow the tiller and informed me that he has recently purchased a new tractor.

Being the nice and helpful person I am, and realizing that this wont take much of my time, I reluctantly agreed. The tiller has been sitting all winter, so I brought it up to the shop, checked the gear oil, greased it, and slipped the slip clutch. I checked it all over for damage and set it next to my garage for an easy hook up to his tractor. He shows up in a small Branson 2400 21 HP at the PTO.... and backs up to my 6 foot wide tiller. Upon learning that his new tractor is only 24 engine HP, I advised that his tractor is simply not enough. I offered to use my tractor. He scoffed and said that he knows what he is doing, and he cannot afford my high prices! I left him to his work of hooking up to my tiller, hoping, at this point, that his 3 point wouldn't even lift it. But it did and he drove down the road.

He sends me a text message that afternoon: He said that the tiller worked very well. He was able to till at "15-1800 RPM, 1/1," and he needs to borrow it a bit longer. I needed clarification. Why so low of RPM? What is 1/1? Why does he need it longer?

Apparently, he is running as slow as the tractor could go: first gear, first range (1/1), and had to slow the RPM of the engine down to move slow enough across the ground, to do a good job. He needs it longer because he has decided to not only do the garden, but expand his garden, and also put in a big back yard.

My wife called me an idiot. Am I too nice? Too helpful? Would you have loaned your tiller (or other attachment) out to someone like this? He still has it, and I haven't heard anything back. I drove by his house this morning and I saw his garden is bigger, all tilled up, but couldn't see his back yard.

What kind of damage could I expect on my tiller of running it at low RPM on virgin soil? Its gear driven, so I assume the gears are taking a beating?
Comes a point where you have to say "this isn't what I agreed to. Go rent a tiller."

I'll lend my loader to my neighbor because he has supplied me with a ton of firewood. I'll go move stuff for the older man across the street, and I clear his driveway in the winter. But this guy is just taking advantage of you.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #125  

Your wife is correct!

/ Would You Loan It Out? #126  
I loaned my professional power washer to a contractor friend, when he brought it back, he had filled the tank and changed the oil! 👍🏻🇺🇦☮️✌🏻

/ Would You Loan It Out? #127  

Since "loan" is a noun, not a verb, you can lend it out but you cannot loan it out. But I would not do so unless I knew the person very well. And I would definitely charge for it.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #128  
I would never have the audacity to try and borrow things from a neighbor that I hardly know, and vice versa. And dangerous items (chainsaw, tiller, tractor) only get lent to trusted people, otherwise I offer to help do the work so I'm in control of safety.

The word "borrow" is a trigger-warning, trust your Spidey-sense :p.

Glad it worked out, now the hard part will be saying "No" in the future, but you know that its not the right answer for you and if the parasite neighbor doesn't like it, so what....

Maybe he has a boat you could "borrow"? 😇

/ Would You Loan It Out? #129  
YOU are Enabling a taker, not a neighbour. Just say NO. Go and get your tiller NOW.
The only tool I lend out belongs to my Cat. He always brings it back.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #130  
No Way! I have loaned a jd450c dozer to a friend. It came back with antifreeze in the oil. He was running it at a too low rpm. I had to do an in chassis engine rebuild to replace the leaking cylinders from the pistons slapping against them. I loaned the same friend a wood chipper. He chipped 6 inch pines for mulch for his blue berries. It came back with the blades shaped like an arch, so it wouldn't chip 2-4 inch brush. The blades had to be replaced. I borrowed a tiller from the same guy. It didn't work. I spent a day trying to repair his poorly maintained equipment before just returning it unused. Now he has a new bobcat and dump trailer. I can't get him answer my call to let me use it. I loaned a log splitter to another friend. It came back with the fuel shut off valve broke off. If you want to be a friend, do it for them. NEVER loan out any equipment. It will not come back in the same condition.