WTB: narrow width, single axle trailer capable of #1000 firewood, non-road use. central PA

/ WTB: narrow width, single axle trailer capable of #1000 firewood, non-road use. central PA #21  
I've seen many HF trailers for sale on Craigslist, and usually for only a little more than a new one costs. :(

Bruce

/ WTB: narrow width, single axle trailer capable of #1000 firewood, non-road use. central PA #22  
Sounds like you are the perfect candidate for a custom trailer. If you are capable of some welding and fabrication, then "roll yer own". If not, then find a local welder to make one for you. Your list of specific requirements is quite long and unique so the chance you will find something off the shelf that really works seems low (plus it sounds like the closest things people found won't do what you want). You could even make it from wood, if you really wanted to and can't do metal work. Of course paying someone to make it gets costly, but I didn't catch a budget (might have missed it). It rarely makes $en$e to custom build things like this if you can find stock items that work, but when the need gets very unique, that is when building custom makes sense.

/ WTB: narrow width, single axle trailer capable of #1000 firewood, non-road use. central PA #23  
dstig1's suggestion for a custom trailer is the way to go. You do have a unique set of requirements, but they are not difficult to meet, just unusual. Since the trailer will not be on the road and only low speed on trails, a professional welder could probably make one for you in a few days. An experienced home shop welder could as well but would take a little longer.

/ WTB: narrow width, single axle trailer capable of #1000 firewood, non-road use. central PA #24  
You could do something like this:

Bill of materials for selected 1,500 lb. trailer kit:

• (1) 1,500 lb. Dexter® trailer axle with 5-4.5" idler hubs
    (Some assembly required)
  • (2) Two leaf 25.25" double eye springs
  • (1) 1 3/4" round u-bolt kit axle including u-bolts, nuts, and plates
  • (1) Single hanger kit for axle including hangers, shackle bolts and nuts, and shackle straps
  • (2) Twelve inch 480/12 white spoke wheels and tires
  • (2) Twelve inch fenders
  • (1) New! Optronic's One Diode LED Trailer light kit including tail lights, clearance lights, license plate bracket, and wire harness
  • (1) RAM 2" 50° A-frame coupler
  • (1) RAM A-frame jack
  • (2) Safety chains with weld on brackets
Base Price: $371.99

That gives you the guts and they want the axle length specified, so they may be able to custom cut one. I've also seen similar kits with just the axle stubs where you provide your own tubing/crossmember.

/ WTB: narrow width, single axle trailer capable of #1000 firewood, non-road use. central PA
dstig1's suggestion for a custom trailer is the way to go. You do have a unique set of requirements, but they are not difficult to meet, just unusual. Since the trailer will not be on the road and only low speed on trails, a professional welder could probably make one for you in a few days. An experienced home shop welder could as well but would take a little longer.
There was a local Amish place whose specialty was trailer building/metal shop. I had him build me a custom trailer over a decade ago. It has been outstanding.
TY for understanding that my needs are not difficult,... just a 42"x72" or 4'x7' or 4'x8', single axle, narrow overall width, #1500-#3000 GVWR, 12" side frame height with wire mesh between the side frame rails to keep firewood from falling out. If it does not have wire mesh I could have a local place weld some onto existing side rails. Thought that finding one would be easier but it just may not exist,... so I am going to go see the Amish metal crafter.

Last edited:
   / WTB: narrow width, single axle trailer capable of #1000 firewood, non-road use. central PA
You could do something like this:

Bill of materials for selected 1,500 lb. trailer kit:

• (1) 1,500 lb. Dexter® trailer axle with 5-4.5" idler hubs
    (Some assembly required)
  • (2) Two leaf 25.25" double eye springs
  • (1) 1 3/4" round u-bolt kit axle including u-bolts, nuts, and plates
  • (1) Single hanger kit for axle including hangers, shackle bolts and nuts, and shackle straps
  • (2) Twelve inch 480/12 white spoke wheels and tires
  • (2) Twelve inch fenders
  • (1) New! Optronic's One Diode LED Trailer light kit including tail lights, clearance lights, license plate bracket, and wire harness
  • (1) RAM 2" 50° A-frame coupler
  • (1) RAM A-frame jack
  • (2) Safety chains with weld on brackets
Base Price: $371.99

That gives you the guts and they want the axle length specified, so they may be able to custom cut one. I've also seen similar kits with just the axle stubs where you provide your own tubing/crossmember.
TY, yes an option. would be a great project!

/ WTB: narrow width, single axle trailer capable of #1000 firewood, non-road use. central PA #27  

Thread diversion:

Diggin It: your icon is the funniest thing I've seen for a while. Our road (logging trail) is the perfect place for a sign like this. Where did you find it it you recall? I'd recreate it for enlargement to make a sign but the rendering would be very low resolution.

I'd have to make several 'cause I know it would get stolen in a heartbeat.

/ WTB: narrow width, single axle trailer capable of #1000 firewood, non-road use. central PA #28  
Looking for a single axle trailer to tow behind my tractor.

Must be:
  1. No wider than 64" AT THE WIDEST POINT (which is usually the outer edge of the wheels or fenders)
  2. ball tongue and not the pin connector like those Yaxtrax, etc.
  3. at least 12" tall sides with wire mesh between top frame rails to hold firewood in place
  4. Well supported frame to carry repeated loads of #1000 of firewood.
  5. Loading floor no more than 96" long (overall length is not a factor)
  6. Wheels mounted on the side of the loading surface
Do not want a dump trailer.
Do not want the wheels mounted beneath the load surface.
Do not want one with solid steel/aluminum sides.
Do not need a ramp but would tolerate a short one if that is only option.

I have looked around but know that I have not seen everything. Where can I find something to meet my needs?
Something like a 42" x 84" or 4'x7' or 4'x8' with at least a #1500 axle may work as long as the sides are 12" tall. I could even install the side rail wire mesh myself.

Who is going to be the person to say 'hey, a 5' x 8' utility trailer is under 64" wide'....🤦‍♂️ 😆. I need total width at widest point, including tires/fenders mounted on the side of the loading surface to be at 64" or less.

LMK if I missed any details.
Look around for an old manure spreader. Pretty easy to cut out the beaters and put in a wooden tailgate. Even better if its a PTO one and the bed chain still works. They will carry literally a ton of weight. Been using mine since the mid 70's- it was originally an old David Bradley ground drive unit. Rebuilt the wood parts a couple of times, and did some welding after flipping it. But still works great

/ WTB: narrow width, single axle trailer capable of #1000 firewood, non-road use. central PA #29  
thought about it and maybe.

I have narrow trails and my tractors rear tires are at 60" on the outside edge. If I make the trailer too wide I know what is going to occur. I am going to be coming back with a full load of wood and forget that the trailer is much wider than my tractor, then I'm going to make a turn and the jam the fender/wheel into a tree or similar. So the narrow width is reduce the chance of operator error in judgement....:LOL:

I do very much agree that there does not seem to be trailers smaller than 5x8 that other than yard cart types. I know I will bust up those yard cart type axles, tongues, etc. in a couple trips.
No matter the trailer you will encounter off tracking as you turn. This will mean you will have to pay attention to the path the trailer will take no matter the width you choose.
My suggestion would be to find the trailer closest to your needs and learn to pay attention to your driving and all will be fine.

/ WTB: narrow width, single axle trailer capable of #1000 firewood, non-road use. central PA #30  
first read it did come across heading in that direction. But i kept reading it and realized it was not. (y)

You said "most people have not clue that their back tire track to the inside on a turn" ABSOLUTELY AGREE, YES!!!

Kids spend a good amount of time in cars, they should be taught to understand how their rear tires track.

That is a tough teach item (poor grammar,I know) when I would guess that 75% of the parents/grandparents have not learned.
Just watch people drive!