Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices?

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #861  
me too but i just failed my inspection because i had not enclosed my porch and carport ceilings. Insulation and wiring "exposed".

The inspectors here are GREAT! Nothing but help and suggestions.

I told him the ship lap i was gonna use was 3x what i budgeted for.

Good guy, suggested a different mill and called it a complementary inspection.
Check out these guys, not that far from you I think.

CarolinaClassicPine.com​

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #862  
The cheapest price for a 3/4X4'X8' plywood was $59.95

willy

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #863  
Last week 3/4" CDX was $86 a sheet here. I have everyone scavenging wood materials out of my dumpters at work. Even equipment crates are getting torn down for usable sheet goods. My addition might become a fall/ winter project if the prices drop enough.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #865  
Seems things are still all sorts of wonky here: 3/4" sheathing is >$80/sheet, 3/$" cabinet grade plywood is ~$65/sheet, 3/4" hardwood sheets are $60-$64/sheet, 3/4" OSB is >$70/sheet, 3/4" MDF is <$50 and 3/4" pressure treated is ~$83/sheet (may not be best prices, but likely representative for the area).

Only conclusion I can draw is that it's a bad time to build a structure, but not so bad of a time to build cabinetry, furniture or other non-structural items.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #866  
Seems things are still all sorts of wonky here: 3/4" sheathing is >$80/sheet, 3/$" cabinet grade plywood is ~$65/sheet, 3/4" hardwood sheets are $60-$64/sheet, 3/4" OSB is >$70/sheet, 3/4" MDF is 4" pressure treated is ~$83/sheet (may not be best prices, but likely representative for the area).

Only conclusion I can draw is that it's a bad time to build a structure, but not so bad of a time to build cabinetry, furniture or other non-structural items.
Are those cabinet sheets less than normal, or did they just not rise like the structural stuff?

ie, is it actually a *good* time to buy cabinet making material or is it just not a worse time?

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #867  
My wife pointed out that fancy basaltic birch cabinet plywood is less than regular CDX and why can't people use that? "because its not approved for construction" I replied.

Plywood had the double whammy of shortage of raw lumber and shutdown of resin plants in Texas due to the freeze (and demand too of course). When they lost power the resin hardened in the machines, so they can't just switch them back on and start back up.

The one good thing to the interminable permit process for my shop is that lumber prices may be back to normal by the time I start needing it.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #868  
Are those cabinet sheets less than normal, or did they just not rise like the structural stuff?

ie, is it actually a *good* time to buy cabinet making material or is it just not a worse time?
Not sure I recall, but I seem to remember them being more than sheathing (pre-covid), but rising less ... so not as bad of a time.

The hardwood doesn't seem to have changed much (if at all). So original statement of not so bad of a time would be accurate as I'm not sure there's ever a "good" time given how low production (and usually higher cost) that most retail sold non-construction/stamped/approved lumber tends to be in comparison to products stamped/approved for structural building.

I.e. prices are almost always high, but they don't seem to have risen much (if at all).

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices?
I know lumber prices are killing us but ......

'Exorcism' leads to ejection from Home Depot

www.wnep.com.ico
WNEP|2 hours ago
It happened Tuesday afternoon at the Home Depot in Dickson City. The ceremony for the dead trees was held in the lumber aisle of the store, according to a post on the Dickson City Police Facebook page.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #870  
They should exorcise the high prices not the lumber