Yanmar Tractors

/ Yanmar Tractors #61  
Thanks fellas for clarifying the technology developed by Fendt and scaled down for compact tractor use by Yanmar. While the technology has been around for a while it’s still innovative for Yanmar to bring it to the compact tractor market.

Tractor Time with Tim has a video of going to a Yanmar dealer and the sales rep was a complete dolt and unable to describe the integrated hydro mechanical transmission (iHMT). Yanmar needs more educated sales reps who can articulate the benefits of the technology to potential customers.

/ Yanmar Tractors #62  
The Fendt Vario ones are fairly reliable. One thing that does kill those transmissions quite fast is when the operator uses the transmission to slow down the tractor, instead of the brakes. That's very hard on the transmission, specially pulling loaded tanker trailers when all that load tries to shift forward.

So you're saying that type of transmission is no good for engine braking.

I think he is saying you shouldn't use the transmission for engine braking with a 20.000# trailer pushing you down a hill.

Last edited:
   / Yanmar Tractors #63  
Thanks fellas for clarifying the technology developed by Fendt and scaled down for compact tractor use by Yanmar. While the technology has been around for a while it’s still innovative for Yanmar to bring it to the compact tractor market.

Tractor Time with Tim has a video of going to a Yanmar dealer and the sales rep was a complete dolt and unable to describe the integrated hydro mechanical transmission (iHMT). Yanmar needs more educated sales reps who can articulate the benefits of the technology to potential customers.

TT Tim can go to any dealer or sales rep that he choses, of course. He isn't beholden to any particular make - or at least he didn't use to be.

For the IHMT, Tim deliberately chose someone who didn't speak well and didn't understand the product.
I wonder why?
rScotty

Last edited:
   / Yanmar Tractors #64  
TT Tim can go to any dealer or sales rep that he choses, of course. He isn't beholden to any particular make - or at least he didn't use to be.

For the IHMT, Tim deliberately chose someone who didn't speak well and didn't understand the product.
I wonder why?
rScotty

Yea, TTWT and Good Works Tractors tend to poo poo Yanmar (as their precious JD’s are powered by Yanmar engineering).

One thing I agree with TTWT is the YT235 is a little small and the YT347 is a bit big. A ~70in wheelbase (like the original 8N) offering from Yanmar would hit the sweet spot for many property owners.

Last edited:
   / Yanmar Tractors #65  
I wonder why?
rScotty
I'm a little surprised to hear you making such a confident assumption Scotty. Usually you leave the door open for other opinions and possibilities. Do you not care for Tim or something?

/ Yanmar Tractors #66  
I know about Lawn Land. That dealer has left me scratching my head more than a time or two. I'm not surprised that they are losing the JD brand, I'm surprised they were able to hold onto it as long as they did.
Called the other day, they are dropping the JD franchise and moving to Yanmar. Quite a few JD's still on the lot with a few Yanmars. All the talk seems to be correct on the effect Yanmar is having on the smaller tractor market and JD dealers.

/ Yanmar Tractors
My dealer told me that Yanmar can supply the
small Yanmar dealers as they now have the
tractors to do so

IMHO it looks like people are looking at the JD's
and comparing them to other tractors and for the
buck get the other tractor. I haven't seen a JD
but with a plastic hood, plastic floor, plastic fenders
then they look at the other models no plastic???

willy

/ Yanmar Tractors #69  
Yanmar was selling tractors in the US back in the 1980s but withdrew from the US market for some years. I suspect they could have built a substantial dealer network in the US if they had stayed in the US market for the entire time instead of opting to supply engines for JD. Perhaps they could have been more successful than Kubota if they had only stayed in the US market?

/ Yanmar Tractors #70  
I would guess there was pressure on this dealer to join United Ag. UA has 20+ dealerships in the region.

If I had the budget for it, I would consider the Yanmar. I would guess they may take business from those willing to pay JD prices, but not married to green paint. For the same money, you get more with the Yanmar than JD. For my budget, TYM/Branson makes more sense...maybe LS or Kioti, too.