Yanmar ym2000 no start

/ Yanmar ym2000 no start #1  

James russell

Tractor
Yanmar Ym2000
I just bought a Yanmar ym2000 and was told by the previous owner that it would take about 15 min to get it started and that it was getting air in the fuel. I bled the fuel system, hooked battery up to jumper cables and cranked on it for a while with no luck. Since then I tried multiple times to bleed air out at injectors and I’m not getting any air at all so I believe I have it all out. I figured maybe I had an injector issue so I pulled one out and tested it. It worked fine. I’m getting a good bit of white smoke out of the exhaust so I assume I’m getting fuel to the engine. The engine definitely has good compression and I am using the decompression lever to try and get it started. I’m getting fuel, air and compression and the engine doesn’t even seem like it wants to start. I even tried a bit of ether but it wasn’t doing anything so I didn’t keep using it. The engine is almost acting like It has a bad shut off solenoid but it doesn’t even have one. I’m really confused with this one so any help is appreciated.

/ Yanmar ym2000 no start #2  
click here to see how Yanmar handles glow plug duty. Do not use ether again,it can blow a gasket,bust a piston or worse. But since you did and it didn't hit with ether, check out that link above. If thermostat is working I think it is money well spent having a pro look at it. Someone might have had the pump off and got it out of time or some other unusual thing.

/ Yanmar ym2000 no start #3  
Blk. smoke would be oil rings or uncombusted fuel. White sounds like a Vapor issue. Head gasket, cracked head etc.. I would chk. the Radiator pressure for pressure build up and watch for the cylinder pressure to leak down. Then your know pretty much what condition the motor is in. Already had one InJ out so should be a easy thing to do. Rent the pressure test kit at most any Large chain auto store. On a YM2000 you should come in around 18 PSI if I recall. Check you Exhaust and muffler for water Esp if it sits outside and no cap on the exhaust pipe.

/ Yanmar ym2000 no start #5  
Don't pretend to be an expert but have worked on several Chinese Jinma pumps. Most Chinese parts are copies of some older successful American or Japanese model. Having said that most work on a rod or other mechanism attached to throttle and governor that controls how far the pumping pistons are pushed each stroke. On the ones I have seen this rod though controlled is also free floating. In other words it doesn't have to return to minimum when controls are lessened. Therefore if it doesn't return on its own the tractor could basically run away until gas and air are starved. I encountered one once and it took about 20 minutes to get it under control. After you have tried all else look for a side plate or opening and spray brake cleaner into it. Do not try to clean or you risk scratching it or getting foreign matter inside.
Your control could be stuck and doesn't want to let fuel in or stuck at a point it won't close to optimum place and the sudden input of too much fuel negates your attempt to heat the cylinders.
I have also found that lines going to the pump from tank can cause the problem by leaking air into the system. Some are steel mesh coated but are not really under any pressure at that point.
Hope this gives you other avenues to check out.

/ Yanmar ym2000 no start
Thanks for all the replies. My thermostat is working and was just replaced by the previous owner. I haven’t done any compression test so I don’t know for sure that it has perfect compression but when I was taking the injector out I turned the engine over to push it out and it just about shot out of the head so I assumed compression wasn’t an issue. But I will still do a real compression test to make sure it’s good. Also since I’ve had engines with very low compression I know that even with low compression an engine will still at least fire a small amount and I haven’t even gotten that out of the tractor. As for the smoke out of the exhaust I would say it’s a little on the grey side rather than white but I guess it still could be vapor. I check the radiator and I don’t see any oil in the coolant and it looks pretty clean. Could valves be an issue?

/ Yanmar ym2000 no start #8  
Called a leak down on a compression test and no thermostat on a YM 2000 looking like it's not Low It's no compression. Hit it with the either. Sounds like no doubt a big problem.

/ Yanmar ym2000 no start #9  
I skipped to the bottom but I would guess that it has no compression or engine damage taking that long to start. My guess is that previous owners and you as well have used either and it's now dependent on it to start do to weak compression or damage unfortunately.

/ Yanmar ym2000 no start #10  
Blk. smoke would be oil rings or uncombusted fuel. White sounds like a Vapor issue. Head gasket, cracked head etc.. I would chk. the Radiator pressure for pressure build up and watch for the cylinder pressure to leak down. Then your know pretty much what condition the motor is in. Already had one InJ out so should be a easy thing to do. Rent the pressure test kit at most any Large chain auto store. On a YM2000 you should come in around 18 PSI if I recall. Check you Exhaust and muffler for water Esp if it sits outside and no cap on the exhaust pipe.
White smoke starting is unburned fuel. If your pour diesel into coals in a fire it will put out white smoke. The black smoke when one is under heavy load is raw unburned fuel basically being blown out of the exhaust.