Yanmar YM2310 tiller problems

/ Yanmar YM2310 tiller problems #1  

etpm

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar ym2310
Yesterday I picked up a tiller for my YM2310. It is one of those reconditioned ones from Viet Nam. Probably as old as my tractor. I hooked it up today. By using the lowest hole in the ROPS for the top link and screwing the top link ends in as far as they would go I was able to get the top link connected. Connected this way the front edge of the tiller has only 1 inch clearance between itself and the rear tires. If the tires were new with the taller treads there would only be maybe 1/2 inch clearance.
The chaincase for the tiller is not quite vertical, the top is leaning forward a bit, maybe 1 inch more than the bottom. I don't know if that matters.
To make the drive shaft fit I will need to cut off about 4 1/2 inches. This will leave only about 3 inches of overlap because right now there is about 7 1/2 inches overlap.
Right now the tiller tines cannot be raised any more than about 1 1/2 inches above the ground. I can add more height to the right arm by screwing it farther together and the left arm by using the other, higher pin hole. I don't know if raising the tiller will bring the front edge closer to the tires, but I don't think it will. I'm just not sure how the geometry of the arms will move the tiller. Right now, with the tiller raised as high as it will go the front edge is about 4 inches below the tire center height.
Since the driveshaft is so short if I remove enough more length to make it possible to remove it with the tiller in place there would be no overlap left since it looks like about 3 inches would need to be removed.
So right now it looks like the drive shaft will need to be shortened and then it will need to be installed before the arms or the top link are in place. It seems odd that Yanmar would design an implement this way.
Right now I can see that with a shorter top link installed the top of the tiller will be able to be rotated closer to the tractor and hence the front edge will roll back away from the tires. This will tilt the chaincase more forward. I don't think this will be a problem because the front edge of the tiller will still be far from the ground. With the tiller sitting on the ground the front edge is 13 inches above the ground. It looks like the max tilling depth is 6 inches. Or maybe only 5. So the front edge could be tilted way forward, which would add clearance between the front edge and the tires as well as lengthen the driveshaft distance. I don't know though how much the tiller can be rotated forward.
I could also add length to either the tractor's lifting arms or weld a couple plates to the new to me tiller to locate the 3 point pins away from the tiller. This would mean that the driveshaft would not need to be shortened.
Thoughts anyone? I would really appreciate some advice. I thought buying a Yanmar tiller would mean that using it with my Yanmar tractor would be an easy thing to do.
Thanks,
Eric

/ Yanmar YM2310 tiller problems #2  
There is a piece you need. I think it's triangular in shape. Several have posted about this pice before in the past and say you really need to use it for the tiller to work and not hit the tires when lifted. I think you can fab up something not cut the shaft as you have said. I can't remember the solutions I have read about in the past though.

Last edited:
   / Yanmar YM2310 tiller problems #3  
I added some length on my 3 point pins to get the tiller further from tractor. Made a big difference.

Attachments

• 100_9380.JPG
    100_9380.JPG
    293.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 100_9381.JPG
    100_9381.JPG
    330.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 100_9382.JPG
    100_9382.JPG
    286.5 KB · Views: 67
   / Yanmar YM2310 tiller problems
I added some length on my 3 point pins to get the tiller further from tractor. Made a big difference.
Though not the same tiller your tiller is quite similar to mine. I can add extensions like yours and they would be exactly the same. This is kinda bad news though. It means burning the new paint on my tiller and that means I gotta find a can of spray paint that matches. Thanks for the post and pics.
Eric

/ Yanmar YM2310 tiller problems #5  
Yesterday I picked up a tiller for my YM2310. It is one of those reconditioned ones from Viet Nam. Probably as old as my tractor. I hooked it up today. By using the lowest hole in the ROPS for the top link and screwing the top link ends in as far as they would go I was able to get the top link connected. Connected this way the front edge of the tiller has only 1 inch clearance between itself and the rear tires. If the tires were new with the taller treads there would only be maybe 1/2 inch clearance.
The chaincase for the tiller is not quite vertical, the top is leaning forward a bit, maybe 1 inch more than the bottom. I don't know if that matters.
To make the drive shaft fit I will need to cut off about 4 1/2 inches. This will leave only about 3 inches of overlap because right now there is about 7 1/2 inches overlap.
Right now the tiller tines cannot be raised any more than about 1 1/2 inches above the ground. I can add more height to the right arm by screwing it farther together and the left arm by using the other, higher pin hole. I don't know if raising the tiller will bring the front edge closer to the tires, but I don't think it will. I'm just not sure how the geometry of the arms will move the tiller. Right now, with the tiller raised as high as it will go the front edge is about 4 inches below the tire center height.
Since the driveshaft is so short if I remove enough more length to make it possible to remove it with the tiller in place there would be no overlap left since it looks like about 3 inches would need to be removed.
So right now it looks like the drive shaft will need to be shortened and then it will need to be installed before the arms or the top link are in place. It seems odd that Yanmar would design an implement this way.
Right now I can see that with a shorter top link installed the top of the tiller will be able to be rotated closer to the tractor and hence the front edge will roll back away from the tires. This will tilt the chaincase more forward. I don't think this will be a problem because the front edge of the tiller will still be far from the ground. With the tiller sitting on the ground the front edge is 13 inches above the ground. It looks like the max tilling depth is 6 inches. Or maybe only 5. So the front edge could be tilted way forward, which would add clearance between the front edge and the tires as well as lengthen the driveshaft distance. I don't know though how much the tiller can be rotated forward.
I could also add length to either the tractor's lifting arms or weld a couple plates to the new to me tiller to locate the 3 point pins away from the tiller. This would mean that the driveshaft would not need to be shortened.
Thoughts anyone? I would really appreciate some advice. I thought buying a Yanmar tiller would mean that using it with my Yanmar tractor would be an easy thing to do.
Thanks,
Eric
You can buy new longer or shorter top links. I got a longer one at Tractor supply.

/ Yanmar YM2310 tiller problems #6  
This topic appears here occasionally. You need to buy or replicate Yanmar's special top link assembly. Or modify like Winston did if you want to make it standard 3-point. Likely with a longer top link and driveshaft.

Here are some photos I've posted in the past showing Yanmar's special 'bridge' (my name) bolted to the tractor's 3-point mount point. And the special short top link, that makes the tiller lift without curling into the tires.
First, an excellent picture of someone else's tiller showing the top link details.
814358-tiller3-rs1400-jpg.115011

... and now, mine. I took this photo to show the driveline was too short. Probably because longer 3-point arms were put on my YM240 after oversize rear tires were mounted.

The VN import house where I bought the tiller gave me a PTO extender free when I showed them this photo. They were great folks! Now everything works as intended.
p-1-1060300rtillerlinkage-jpg.115012

The setup decal on my RS1400 tiller showing it was specifically intended for YM2000. (My YM240 is the US twin to YM2000).
p1060269rrs1400ym2000setupdecal-jpg.222363

And my RS1400 / YM240 set up to mach that decal. Note in the decal, and on my rig, the gear case is sloped away from the tractor with the tires and tines at the same level.
(Where's Norm? By now he would have told me I need to paint it!:)).
p2-1060299rtillerrtside-jpg.100327

Some more decals. 90 wt gear oil into top of center and top of side gear case. For the end of the tine axle opposite the gear end, remove cover and repack the bearing same as a wheel bearing. Lube rear wheel swivel points and axles. Note in particular: the part from swivel down to axle (like half a bicycle fork) goes on the OUTSIDE side of each wheel. That's silly, they gouge my orchard trees. But the wheels won't track with those half-forks on the inner side of the wheels.
p1060268rrs1400tillerlubedecal-jpg.222362

And a couple of decals off other models showing setup for tilling a ridge at the center, or at each edge, or something, by moving left/right curved tines around. Anybody here read Kanji?
p1060275rrsb1400g-tillertinedecal-jpg.222361

p1060271rrs1303tillertinedecal-jpg.222360

Here's one of the old threads asking the same questions as you. Caution, there's lots of mis-information mixed in with some right answers.

Last edited:
   / Yanmar YM2310 tiller problems #7  
This topic appears here occasionally. You need to buy or replicate Yanmar's special top link assembly. Or modify like Winston did if you want to make it standard 3-point. Likely with a longer top link and driveshaft.

Here are some photos I've posted in the past showing Yanmar's special 'bridge' (my name) bolted to the tractor's 3-point mount point. And the special short top link, that makes the tiller lift without curling into the tires.
First, an excellent picture of someone else's tiller showing the top link details.

... and now, mine. I took this photo to show the driveline was too short. Probably because longer 3-point arms were put on my YM240 after oversize rear tires were mounted.

The VN import house where I bought the tiller gave me a PTO extender free when I showed them this photo. They were great folks! Now everything works as intended.

The setup decal on my RS1400 tiller showing it was specifically intended for YM2000. (My YM240 is the US twin to YM2000).

And my RS1400 / YM240 set up to mach that decal. Note in the decal, and on my rig, the gear case is sloped away from the tractor with the tires and tines at the same level.

Some more decals. 90 wt gear oil into top of center and top of side gear case. For the end of the tine axle opposite the gear end, remove cover and repack the bearing same as a wheel bearing. Lube rear wheel swivel points and axles. Note in particular: the part from swivel down to axle (like half a bicycle fork) goes on the OUTSIDE side of each wheel. That's silly, they gouge my orchard trees. But the wheels won't track with those half-forks on the inner side of the wheels.

And a couple of decals off other models showing setup for tilling a ridge at the center, or at each edge, or something, by moving left/right curved tines around. Anybody here read Kanji?

Here's one of the old threads asking the same questions as you. Caution, there's lots of mis-information mixed in with some right answers.

Those 2 last images talks about how to set up the tines for different tiller functions and crops. You can translate the text on Yandex for each of the 6 arrangements.

/ Yanmar YM2310 tiller problems #8  

Good ol Norm!:LOL:

/ Yanmar YM2310 tiller problems
Lotsa good replies here and lots to think about. I could fab up the triangular piece but I decided to instead make up a couple extensions so that the tiller moves back and so that I can use the provided drive shaft without cutting it any shorter. Today the rain and wind lessened enough that I was able to finally take some pictures. I hope they help with identifying this particular model. When I am done with the extensions the tiller will be moved about 5 inches back. If anyone thinks this is a bad idea please chime in. This tiller mod needs to be done soon so that I can get the drainfield tilled and seeded before the winter weather gets too cold.

Attachments

• P_20211025_123642.jpg
    P_20211025_123642.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 80
  • P_20211025_123650.jpg
    P_20211025_123650.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 75
  • P_20211025_123548.jpg
    P_20211025_123548.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 89
  • P_20211025_123537.jpg
    P_20211025_123537.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 73
  • P_20211025_123622.jpg
    P_20211025_123622.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 67
  • P_20211025_123603.jpg
    P_20211025_123603.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 77
   / Yanmar YM2310 tiller problems #10  
Five inches sounds like a lot. 'Measure twice cut once'.

And you might want to swap those rear tires side to side to improve forward traction.

That's a nice looking tiller. I can see how they are getting top dollar for them.