yet another 2305 vs xxxxx thread

/ yet another 2305 vs xxxxx thread #1  

Cidertom

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4520, 2305 Aktive snow-trac ST4
Background: have 4520 with most toys except mmm. have brand x riding lawnmower.

Riding lawnmower is on last legs. Wife wants new, and wife wants smaller version of 4520. I'm thinking 2305 as most of it's job will be mowing. She needs short-small to muck out stalls and fit below trees in orchard. We have the 4520 for heavy jobs. the FEL on the baby will be in lieu of my back when it comes to moving potted plants, a mechanized wheelbarrow if you will. Has anoyone moved up from the "garden tractor" JD's to the 2305 and regretted it? The biggest concern is the increased height. We won't be using it for field mowing, bush hogging etc. Perhaps some trail maintenance but nothing I would worry about killing the fan. I want diesel as I don't want two storage tanks (the genset and the 4520 share the bulk tank currently.)

At least the wife is the driving factor in getting a new tractor. That make it much easier.

Thoughts?/

TEW

/ yet another 2305 vs xxxxx thread #2  
Cidertom,

From the tasks you describe, the 2305 would work very nicely. If you go with the 62C deck, the uncut circle is 36", so I'd call that a pretty nimble machine. As for fitting under trees, you'd probably want to go with an aftermarket folding ROPS from someone like FEMCO, but I would want the wife to be thoroughly familiar with the tractor with the ROPS up and seatbelt on (at least with the FEL on) first. Remember, shiny side up! :)

/ yet another 2305 vs xxxxx thread #3  
Cidertom said:
Background: have 4520 with most toys except mmm. have brand x riding lawnmower.
Riding lawnmower is on last legs. Wife wants new, and wife wants smaller version of 4520. I'm thinking 2305 as most of it's job will be mowing. She needs short-small to muck out stalls and fit below trees in orchard. We have the 4520 for heavy jobs. the FEL on the baby will be in lieu of my back when it comes to moving potted plants, a mechanized wheelbarrow if you will.
Has anoyone moved up from the "garden tractor" JD's to the 2305 and regretted it?
The biggest concern is the increased height. We won't be using it for field mowing, bush hogging etc. Perhaps some trail maintenance but nothing I would worry about killing the fan. I want diesel as I don't want two storage tanks (the genset and the 4520 share the bulk tank currently.)At least the wife is the driving factor in getting a new tractor. That makes it much easier.
Thoughts?/
How could anyone regret getting more tractor for less money?

/ yet another 2305 vs xxxxx thread #4  
no regrets. my 2305 has turf tires and it's 79" to the top of the rops. biggest problem is knocking the lights off the rops, so my suggested solution for that problem is to swap them around and put them on the inside of the rops.

/ yet another 2305 vs xxxxx thread #5  
If the 2305 will fit where you need it to fit, it sounds like it would be a good choice. If you need to go a bit smaller to fit into the stalls, or are concerned about mowing on slopes with the taller 2305, something like a used 455 garden tractor would be a decent choice. Yes, I'm biased because I have one, but I'm pretty happy with the 40 loader as a motorized wheelbarrow; it doesn't lift a ton of weight, but it's a lot better than a shovel! The 455 also does a great job mowing. I don't recall the uncut circle on the 455 with the 60" deck, but I have the impression it's smaller than the 2305.

Whichever way you go, if you are going to have to take the deck off to go in and out of the stalls, give it a try first. Taking the deck off the 455 is not hard, but it's not really something I'd want to do every day - not sure if it's easier or harder on the 2305.

Tim

/ yet another 2305 vs xxxxx thread #6  
Sounds like the 2305 would be a very good fit. Trim the trees up or get an aftermarket foldable ROPS. Deck on/off of my 2305 when on concrete is no more than 5 minutes. Loader on/off is no more than 3 or 4 minutes.

Yes - get the 62C deck.
Yes - get the ROPS light guards AND move them inside the ROPS (I know from experience).

I have turfs on mine and they do great for mowing and snowblowing - you may want R4's depending on how much traction you need when mucking stalls.

Good luck!

Scott

/ yet another 2305 vs xxxxx thread #7  
TimS said:
If the 2305 will fit where you need it to fit, it sounds like it would be a good choice. If you need to go a bit smaller to fit into the stalls, or are concerned about mowing on slopes with the taller 2305, something like a used 455 garden tractor would be a decent choice. Yes, I'm biased because I have one, but I'm pretty happy with the 40 loader as a motorized wheelbarrow; it doesn't lift a ton of weight, but it's a lot better than a shovel! Tim
But 1 of these might be a better choice.
BX1500 or BX1830 or BX 1850 and you get 4 wheel drive 3 point hitch and rear power take off that you would not get on a used x455. and you get a S-Cut instead of just a garden tractor.

/ yet another 2305 vs xxxxx thread #8  
Cidertom,

Our situations sound similar. I have a 4610 with the usual fixins and my p.o.s. Craftsman riding mower just played out. I have ordered a 2305 with 62C MMM and R4 tires to do the lawn, orchard, and some steep new ground recently planted with mahogany seedlings, now saplings. I, too, have a diesel tank supporting a generator and the 4610.

Didn't order anything else with the 2305 other than a front grill, but may pick up a PTO-driven generator as a back-up eventually. I'll just have to see how the ROPS works out, and if it needs replacing with one that folds, I'll do it. I may need wheel weights in the back and some weights for the front depending on the stability (or lack) on the steep ground.

As the tractor won't arrive for another couple of weeks, I obviously don't have any useful experiences to share yet. But I did go through the comparison shopping routine and looked at Kubotas in the 1.5 to 2.3 liter range. I decided on the JD for three reasons. First, I've been delighted with the JD equipment I already have. Second, the dealer provides good support and aims to please. Third, I don't like the pedal arrangement on the Kubotas, which have brake and go-pedals all on the right side. I have two intermittent streams with abrupt drop-offs running through the property, and I like to have one foot resting on the brakes and the other on the go-pedals when I'm operating close to them.

If you haven't decided what to buy in two or three weeks, I'd be happy to give you my initial impressions once I put my new 2305 into service.

Cheers, Mark

/ yet another 2305 vs xxxxx thread #9  
marco246 said:
I, too, have a diesel tank supporting a generator and the 4610.

Cheers, Mark
Home fuel deliver is the only way to fly if you can work it out to work for yourself.

I'm hoping that by adding the 2 BX1500s to my fleet it will justify home delivery for me also.

/ yet another 2305 vs xxxxx thread #10  
LBrown59 said:
Home fuel deliver is the only way to fly if you can work it out to work for yourself.

I'm hoping that by adding the 2 BX1500s to my fleet it will justify home delivery for me also.

I'm hoping you will buy your bx's and get outside to use them, and stay out of here. But that is just me. JC