YM2500 HYDRAULIC LEAKS

/ YM2500 HYDRAULIC LEAKS #1  

Travis_R

Veteran Member
Tractor
'98 MASSEY FERGUSON 231
Hey,

Alright- I need to know what to do.

As some may remember, my YM2500's hydraulic leaks down when an implement is left in the air and the engine is killed. Well, I now have a little more information.

With the engine killed, implement in the air, AND THE HYDRAULIC STOP VALVE CLOSED (the knob that you screw all the way in to 'close off' the hydraulic system- the one in front of you between your legs under the seat), the implement WILL NOT LEAK DOWN.
This makes me believe that the o-rings on the piston are good.

DO I STILL HAVE A "HYDRAULIC CONTROL VALVE" PROBLEM?

Remember, this whole valve assembly has been replaced (by dealer). I think it was a re-built one. I was told that a new assembly costs a whopping $250.00! Lord I hope that isn't what I need.

Thanks for any and all replies.

TO THE EXPERTS- PLEASE HELP. The tractor looks and runs too good to have this aggravating leakdown.

P.S.....I think I saw fluid seapage around the right-rear axle seal. I'm probably gonna replace that also. I will do that later on though. IS THAT A TOUGH JOB TO DO? I did one on a YM2000 and it was fairly easy. But that was about 5 years ago.

What all parts do you think I need? What about cost? I have the Operator's and Parts manuals. I know I need to get the Service manual- and plan on doing that in the very near future.

A BIG THANKS,

Travis R

/ YM2500 HYDRAULIC LEAKS #2  
If you don't want it to leak down when it isn't running, close the valve. It is common for the 3 point to leak down when not running.

/ YM2500 HYDRAULIC LEAKS
Lens12,

I can't seem to understand why that is common.....It isn't right for it to leak down. The YM2000 that I had never leaked down and I've left the lift up on the hydraulic system with a bush hog attached for days (3 or 4)- and just got tired of looking at it in the air.

Something is wrong somewhere and I'd like to get to the bottom of it.

I don't think its bothering with the leak-down as much as it is with "not knowing" what the problem is.

But if I find the problem, i know i'll fix it.

Thanks for your reply.

Travis R

/ YM2500 HYDRAULIC LEAKS #4  
Travis_R said:
Lens12,

I can't seem to understand why that is common.....
Travis R

If you think a leaky 3 point on a 30 year old grey market is bad.....

I have a 2003 Deere 4310 and the loader has leaked down on it sine it was new. To Deere's credit though, theyspec out how slowly it should leak done. If you shut it down with the loader up, every few minutes it will drop every so slightly. I have had 30 old Yanmars with new Koyker loaders that wouldn't lose an inch after you shut the tractor off.

/ YM2500 HYDRAULIC LEAKS #5  
Why is this such a problem to you? There should never be a reason to stop the engine with an implement raised off the ground. I'll bet it raises to the correct position when you re-start. If it were mine and I were losing sleep over it, I would be looking into the lift piston and associated "O" rings.

/ YM2500 HYDRAULIC LEAKS
Thanks for the reply Brent.

Yeay I know what you're talking about (newer tractors hydraulic systems leaking down)- my uncle's 97' Massey Ferguson 231 hydraulics won't stay up either. It has only a little over 1000 hrs. on it. But like I've mentioned before, he has money and does not take care of it. I've used it a few times and had to add power steering fluid because it just quit steering. And thats when I first picked it up at his house! I've checked his transmission/hydraulic oil and it is the absolute WORST i've ever seen. Looks like thick, gooey chocolate milk! But he don't care. He has been running the tractor without the trans. oil check dipstick for years now! And I literally do mean years. Also, at the end of last year, he finally decided to buy a new engine oil check dipstick- that was missing for a long time. I guess he just decided to wait on the trans. dipstick though.- (And still waiting!).

I checked the trans/hyd oil in my YM2500 yesterday evening and it looks VERY clean (after flushing it 3 times). I think I got pretty much all the contaminants out.

I want to start tearing apart the hydraulic system to fix the leak-down. But I'm not sure what I need or where to start. I know that I have the mechanical ability to do the job. I just need the help of TBN- and possibly a Service manual.

ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS?

Dealers, what do ya'll think??

Some people are telling me to just leave it alone and not to worry about it. But I can't do that. It irritates me. Its not supposed to leakdown and I need it fixed- just to give me 'peace of mind' from not knowing whats wrong.

Thanks,
Travis R

/ YM2500 HYDRAULIC LEAKS
Norm,

Thanks.

I'm not loosing any sleep over it, I just know that the thing is not supposed to do that and I want to address it. It is a nice tractor and I want to keep it in tip-top condition.

The oil is definitely by-passing somewhere. I think it is because of o-rings also. Just am not sure where to look first. I may go ahead and do as you suggested and look at the lift cylinder piston and associated o-rings.

I am currently on a turn-around at work (an equipment rental service company) and do not have the time right now to mess with it. I'm just trying to get some ideas of what the probable cause is.

Travis R

/ YM2500 HYDRAULIC LEAKS #8  
1. Someone asks for the "experts" help.
2. Someone gets that.
3. Someone says "Some people are telling me to just leave it alone and not to worry about it. But I can't do that. It irritates me. Its not supposed to leakdown" AND "my uncle's 97' Massey Ferguson 231 hydraulics won't stay up either" AND "I just know that the thing is not supposed to do that"
4. Everyone leaves someone alone to curse at the darkness, since someone refuses to light a candle.

Why even bother? Someone clearly does NOT want the truth, they want what they want.

Reminds me of a story. Man is convinced he is dead, family gets him to agree to see a psychiatrist. After weeks of therapy sessions, man still insists he is dead. Psychiatrist, at wit's end, one day says "Look...if you're dead, you're heart's not pumping, and you can't bleed, right?" The man thinks for a few minutes, then says, "Yes, I'd say you're right doc." With that the psychiatrist leaps across the space between them, sticks the man with a small pin, and smiles as he sees a few small drops of blood on the man's arm. The man looks at his arm, then at the psychiatrist, and without hesitation says, "Son of a gun, doc, dead men DO bleed."

Most of you get the point. Some people just issue the following challenge on a daily basis..."Go ahead, solve my problems. I'll make more."

/ YM2500 HYDRAULIC LEAKS #9  
You know, I don't agree with Travis on very much, but after operating and owning tractors for over 50 years I have to agree with him that if the lift on my 2020 leaked down fast I would want to fix it. It don't just naturally do that. Something is wrong with it. It may be normal wear but so is blue engine smoke, blow by and excessive oil consumption and I wouldn't just live with that. I don't believe a lot of our Yanmar owners who take great care of their tractors would either. If I have a piece of equipment I want it to work the way it's supposed to and I don't normally stop until it does.

That being said the first place I would look is the piston "O" rings. They're not too hard to replace. Experience with other tractors tells me that that's probably what the problem is.

/ YM2500 HYDRAULIC LEAKS #10  
I'm going to stay out of the "shoud I fix it or not debate" but... I also have to agree with Travis on one issue- if the lift stays up with the valve closed I don't think it will be the o-rings on the lift piston. If those are bad it will go down either way. It is almost always the control valve itself if the lift continues to go down when the lockout valve is closed.

Aaron
Parts@HoyeTractor.com
(940)592-0181