YM336D Restoration thread - Part two

/ YM336D Restoration thread - Part two
After doing some box blade and boom pole work with my restored 336D, I finally got around to pulling the transmission cover to see what I'm up against in terms of the non-working 1st and 2nd gears.

2011-10-17%25252009.53.15.jpg

2011-10-17%25252009.54.46.jpg

The teeth on the counter gears are pretty much gone. The main gears seem oddly unaffected.

I'll have to split the tractor in order to gain access to them for repair or replacement, which will be a major first. I'm not thrilled about draining the transmission fluid yet again.

I called Hoye and a new counter gear assembly (they don't sell them as individual gears :() costs a whopping $1500 :shocked:, more than I paid for the entire tractor!

So, what I'll end up doing is welding some more steel on each gear tooth and grinding them back into shape. Whether or not I can successfully do this.. I'm guessing my odds are 30:70. If I just can't seem to get it right, I'll pay a machine shop to do the grinding.

Let the tractor split begin! :confused2:

/ YM336D Restoration thread - Part two #32  
Anychance of welding them in position ? I had a reapir done one time on a john deere, the welder came to the farm and welded up two spots for me that worked perfect,I still dont know how he could see or weld the spot he was working in. Just a thought as if it doesnt work the worst you'll have to do is split the tractor ....

/ YM336D Restoration thread - Part two #33  
After doing some box blade and boom pole work with my restored 336D, I finally got around to pulling the transmission cover to see what I'm up against in terms of the non-working 1st and 2nd gears.

2011-10-17%25252009.53.15.jpg

2011-10-17%25252009.54.46.jpg

The teeth on the counter gears are pretty much gone. The main gears seem oddly unaffected.

I'll have to split the tractor in order to gain access to them for repair or replacement, which will be a major first. I'm not thrilled about draining the transmission fluid yet again.

I called Hoye and a new counter gear assembly (they don't sell them as individual gears :() costs a whopping $1500 :shocked:, more than I paid for the entire tractor!

So, what I'll end up doing is welding some more steel on each gear tooth and grinding them back into shape. Whether or not I can successfully do this.. I'm guessing my odds are 30:70. If I just can't seem to get it right, I'll pay a machine shop to do the grinding.

Let the tractor split begin! :confused2:

Hoye has a few parts tractors, i guess they dont have one of those do they or else they would have said so.

/ YM336D Restoration thread - Part two #34  
how does damage like that occur?

/ YM336D Restoration thread - Part two #36  
Thanks Car Doc :laughing::laughing::laughing:.

Let me ask this another way.....What would have had to happen to cause this damage - so I know NOT TO DO IT!

/ YM336D Restoration thread - Part two #37  
How about one tooth breaking and becoming that stray part. Could happen when someone grinds the gears, maybe when the tractor is still moving a little. I have been guilty and don't like the sound it makes. :)

/ YM336D Restoration thread - Part two #38  
The reason I ask is that I was thinking.....if a tooth breaks off it might get caught and do some damage but then fall into the bottom of the pan???? this took out two sets of gears and didn't touch the other two. I would think this scenario made one heck of a racket

/ YM336D Restoration thread - Part two #39  
Tooth bit A falls into first gear destroying it and causing a tooth B chip to fly over to the second gear destroying it as well. Just a thought?

/ YM336D Restoration thread - Part two #40  
I would think it would be pretty hard to break anything in our tranys guys with normal use.

But remember he had that 4wd shift dog that got loose in there and that may well have been what grenaded the gears and there were a big handful of other various things floating around in there too any one could be the culprit and they can also wedge between the gear set and the case and only damage the one shafts gears he did say the counter was the one that was damaged the worst its the bottom shaft. :)