You don't have a high speed Internet connection??

/ You don't have a high speed Internet connection?? #81  
Just switched from one wireless internet provider to another. $60 for 512Kbs (up to 2Mbs burst) to $55 for 10Mbs/4Mbs (down/up). Life is so much better. I am more productive for work and I can enjoy a Netflix movie when I want. The previous provider just did not keep up with the times. We were with them for over 10 years (only other choice was satellite which did not work for me). New provider is using WIFI (Ubiquiti radio with dish) while previous provider used Motorola Canopy radios and access points. The previous provider also had severe problems with weather icing up access point on top of mountain (11.3 miles line of sight from us), meaning we had frequent outages when weather was right around 32 degrees (moisture in air would cause ice on access points which would cause loss of signal).

12342745_953404431392803_8146432346334035312_n.png

/ You don't have a high speed Internet connection?? #82  
Hughesnet is a joke. I ended up going with a solution that's not much better, but is less expensive. I have two antenna up on my chimneys, connected to a USB cellular modem, plugged into a Cradlepoint router. I get 30GB a month with rollover of unused data for the same price as Hughesnet.

/ You don't have a high speed Internet connection?? #83  
I've about had it with ATT's Uverse. (basically, dual DSL over two lines).

Speed is decent when it works, 23 mbps. But it goes down several times a day. A minute ago it came back up with a message 'you need to restart your browser to resume connection', this has to mean something was down and restored in the central office.

Since my phone runs through this, (VOIP), we had two phone disconnects yesterday in the middle of calls where you call back and get a different customer rep who can't see the work of the person you were talking to earlier. Intermittent VOIP is a new source of frustration we never had before signing Uverse.

Techs have been out here several times, inside tech swears everything's perfect so it must be the cabling to downtown. Outside tech says his side is perfect, I must have a bad (ATT) modem.

Likewise out at the ranch (11 mbps Uverse). Same intermittent fails, to a degree that youtube is unwatchable. Same unsuccessful repair attempts. Same attitude from the outside techs both locations, 'I'm about to retire so there's no reason to learn anything beyond basic phone connectivity.' (The inside techs seem bright and well-trained but ineffective.) In addition the modem internal log there shows continual failure to reach ATT's DNS server while the modem doesn't allow use of anything but that remote DNS service.

ATT has declared they will be entirely out of the copper wire service business in a couple of years. The service I'm getting now seems calculated to drive away their last copper-connected customers.

/ You don't have a high speed Internet connection?? #84  
I've about had it with ATT's Uverse. (basically, dual DSL over two lines).

Speed is decent when it works, 23 mbps. But it goes down several times a day. A minute ago it came back up with a message 'you need to restart your browser to resume connection', this has to mean something was down and restored in the central office.

Since my phone runs through this, (VOIP), we had two phone disconnects yesterday in the middle of calls where you call back and get a different customer rep who can't see the work of the person you were talking to earlier. Intermittent VOIP is a new source of frustration we never had before signing Uverse.

Techs have been out here several times, inside tech swears everything's perfect so it must be the cabling to downtown. Outside tech says his side is perfect, I must have a bad (ATT) modem.

Likewise out at the ranch (11 mbps Uverse). Same intermittent fails, to a degree that youtube is unwatchable. Same unsuccessful repair attempts. Same attitude from the outside techs both locations, 'I'm about to retire so there's no reason to learn anything beyond basic phone connectivity.' (The inside techs seem bright and well-trained but ineffective.) In addition the modem internal log there shows continual failure to reach ATT's DNS server while the modem doesn't allow use of anything but that remote DNS service.

ATT has declared they will be entirely out of the copper wire service business in a couple of years. The service I'm getting now seems calculated to drive away their last copper-connected customers.

I've never been suckered into VOIP. If they can't do the Internet then why should I trust them with the phone when you could be trying to call an ambulance. Nope, not for me. You get what you pay for and only then if you're lucky.

/ You don't have a high speed Internet connection?? #85  
I have DSL for the Hospital Admin Department... believe it or not it was only a $15 add on back in 2000

Today it is $90 a month and in over 15 years it has been flawless... the Central office is on the corner.

So a couple of weeks ago the DSL goes out... call AT&T and they say a tech has to come out... and within 2 hours he was here... he runs a series of tests and determines the problem in in the Central Office...

AT&T terminated our Legacy service... spent the better part of the day to get something going... we had Static IP and now are Dynamic... say we can't go back... we have to go forward with Fiber...

It was not broken until they broke it.

So the few that need remote access no longer have it...

Not a week goes be without a call from AT&T promising the sun and the moon if I switch... my reply is how much will I save... of course I won't save anything and at their best price it is still over $200.

Remember when things were simple???

/ You don't have a high speed Internet connection?? #86  
Upgraded to Hughes Gen4 a year or more ago. In the meantime my MIL bought a house 400' east of us that had something the telephone company called "extended DSL" service. My wife swears it as fast if not faster than Hughes...and no data caps...I know the neighbors used to steal bandwidth from us and I employed stronger security on the router. They now have service from the telco...the connection is only a few 100' feet away

/ You don't have a high speed Internet connection?? #87  
Bell around here only offers Modem service but a private contractor came in and gives us unlimited for $49/m.
Generally excellent other than some folks watch only HD TV that eats up a lot of space. Sat and Sun being the worst.
For the first time in 4 years we were down for 4 days as his site was hacked and he needed to re boot some 300 clients.

The maddening thing is that Bell is fiber optic up to about 1/2 mile from us (75 residents) but they seem to want a gov't subsidy to provide us with Hi Speed.

/ You don't have a high speed Internet connection?? #88  
In our never ending struggle for sorta fast Internet service, we just had a second DSL line installed. We are keeping the land line phone but we can only call out to 911. Other people can call be we cannot call out which is just fine by us. Supposedly this will save us money and the second DSL line will only add $10-15 a month to the bill. I will believe it when I see the bill. :eek::D

Right now the kids use one 1.5 mbps DSL line and we use the other. This is working out pretty well. We can bind the two lines into one router but we will just use what we have for now.

Reliability is a joke. Constant outages and we have to reset modems and routers on a frequent basis. :rolleyes:

A phone Coop from another county is somehow able to bring in fiber. Century Link cannot/will not improve our lines at all much less bring in fiber. If the phone Coop ever makes it to us we will drop Century Link so fast their heads will spin. I don't fault the Century Link employees, they really do try their best but the company just will not improve the network for us or many others in the county. We have dealt with dozens of Century Link employees over the years and with one exception, they have been really nice and helpful. But the company just will not update the network....

During a recent outage that lasted a few days including the weekend, :confused3::shocked::mad: I had to use my cell phone for Internet access. Man is 4G fast compared to our land line. :shocked: Just wish I can afford to run 4G 24x7.

Later,
Dan

/ You don't have a high speed Internet connection?? #89  
The infrastructure can and will get better with CAF 2, Connect America Fund phase 2. CenturyLink and AT&T accepted the money for rural areas. I work for one of those and I'm already seeing the build out happening. Just be patient and don't blame the companies for where you live. I'm rural too and I pay almost $90 a month for 3mb. My son lives in town and pays less than that for Google Fiber Gigabit Service. We all can surely move back to the city if it's that important. For me, I get enough technology being a tech at work. I don't need the internet when I get home for the most part. And what I do I can look up on the data plan on my phone that runs speeds in excess of 50mbs. And one other tid bit, just because it's fiber doesn't mean you can get faster speeds. I put in fiber to homes all day long and we only offer 10mb because of the backbone not being upgraded.
We actually can offer higher speeds over copper right now.